LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / chatter when pulling away in first gear

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: chatter when pulling away in first gear -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Hardie
08-25-2013 @ 7:05 AM

Subject: 1948 Sedan Coupe/ 239,all stock: I've put up with this chatter for about thirty years and am getting tired of it. When pulling away is first gear I am experiencing a significant chatter, enough to shake the front fenders. It can be avoided by either slipping the clutch at idle to almost a stall or by putting the hammer down and dumping the clutch. (Hard on the Cokers) Neither are good options. The car will pull away in second gear smooth as butter but that's not always practical either.
Anyone out there have a solution??
Tks Mac

Mac

TomO
08-25-2013 @ 8:05 AM
Senior

Since you have been putting up with this for 30 years, could you please let us know if you have replaced any parts or taken any other action to reduce the chatter?

Tom

alanwoodieman
08-25-2013 @ 9:50 AM
Senior

have you changed--the motor/trans mounts? , are they tight, rubber not worn out. Have you changed the clutch-pressure plate? warped clutch disc will cause this shudder, oil on the clutch will cause this also, put the car against a stop and rev up and slowly release the clutch and sort of burn it a little, this process will work if it is getting oil on it. Make sure the drain hole with the cotter pin is open.

Old Henry
08-25-2013 @ 4:48 PM
Senior

Hardie, your story is very discouraging for me because I just had my engine rebuilt including everything to do with the clutch and now have the very same annoying chatter that you have. I was hoping it would get better with time but if you've had yours for 30 years looks like it don't.

Just had a lengthy discussion about this here: http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6353&keywords=shudder

The conclusion I reached from all that was said is that clutch chatter is pretty much an Act of God or pure chance. Some have it and some don't and it doesn't seem to have any correlation with how the clutch was rebuilt or refurbished. The very same engine rebuilder who rebuilt my engine 35,000 miles ago, afterwhich I had no chatter, did the very same thing all over again when he rebuilt it 5,000 miles ago (piston came apart) and now I have what I never had before.

I even got some Fuller's Earth and dumped it into the clutch as someone said that might help. It didn't. All of my engine mounts are new. I have no oil on the clutch (it chattered from the first start up.)

Go figure.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

Hardie
08-25-2013 @ 5:35 PM

Lots of good points to consider, thanks to you all.

Thanks "Old Henry", for the link. I've read through it all and it certainly addresses the problem.

I've had a few flat-top Fords; all were "chatterless" and I didn't realize how good that was. Besides the '48 I have a stock '35 that's smooth as silk. I've always liked the '35 and I now have a better appreciation of it. As far as the chatter in my '48; I've lived with it this long, I guess I can live with it for a while yet. I've addressed all the points covered in the forum at least once, some several times but the old girl still wants to talk back at motivation time.
I've been driving standard transmission cars and trucks for close to 50 years and the best part of 2 million miles and have never needed to replace a clutch. I have replaced clutches and related paraphernalia in cars I've restored, usually out of convenience as opposed to necessity.

Thanks again you guys. Keep the shiny side up !!

Mac

TomO
08-26-2013 @ 7:52 AM
Senior

Mac, Most clutch chatter is caused by items external to the clutch, but the pressure plate can cause it and so can a bad disc.

Many times people will attach the pressure plate without blocking the finger to relieve the pressure on the disc. This will warp the pressure plate and cause clutch chatter.

If you decide that it is enough of a nuisance, have your pressure plate and disc rebuilt by Fort Wayne Clutch and have your flywheel surfaced. After installing the flywheel, check it for runout before installing the clutch. Make sure that the the pressure is off of the disc and all of the bolts are tightened equally.

Tom

shogun1940
08-27-2013 @ 4:17 AM

has anyone ever checked the runout of the flywheel? My 48 is all old and original and it is smooth,with old mounts .

fenbach
09-19-2013 @ 1:53 PM

tom,
you mention "blocking the finger" before installing a pressure plate. did you mean fingers - all 3? i reinstalled the original pressure plate years ago without blocking anything, and it worked just fine.
just yesterday installed a rebuilt pressure plate and have to hope i didn't warp anything. would any good come of loosing it, blocking the fingers and tightening it back up?
as an aside, i bought replacement pressure plate bolts, Mr. Gasket brand, only to find they were too long. 1" rather than 3/4. i cut and ground them back to 3/4. roy nazewicz told me he just sells off-the-shelf bolts. anybody know if it really makes any difference?
thanks.
bob

supereal
09-20-2013 @ 11:20 AM
Senior

Yes, it does make a difference. The pressure plate to flywheel mounting bolts are special fasteners, part number 350433-S. They are available from C&G for $20 as a set of six. They are 5/16"-18 X .77". Any rotating part must be carefuuly balanced, and any deviation will usually show up as a periodic vibration. The reason to block the three "fingers" of the pressure plate is to prevent warping of the plate cover. Here, again any warping of the cover will show up, mostly as excessive cluth chatter. These tolerances are very small, but very important. Most of the chatter(or shudder) results from the reformulation of the facing to eliminate asbestos. That is why many disc replacements shudder when the old disc didn't. If your disc isn't burned, or worn down close to the rivets, I'd reuse it, if your clutch didn't have excessive shudder before. Some shudder is to be expected with old Fords because it is built into the driveline's archaic design. Many attemts to fix it, such as engine rods, were futile. I'm attaching a diagram for a brace that was commonly sold in the 40's, but did little good.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-20-13 @ 11:21 AM

TomO
09-22-2013 @ 8:10 AM
Senior

Supereal, thanks for answering the question. So many people forget this simple step and then have problems.

I also measure the distance from the top of the cover to the fingers to make sure that all of them are equal when the plate is installed. A slight difference in the distance can also lead to clutch chatter.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org