LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1937 Ford Green

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1937 Ford Green -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

ravi.avalur
09-02-2012 @ 11:04 AM

Many months ago, one of the Ford part suppliers who helped me a great deal with my restoration had sent me one of the only pictures of a Green 37 Phaeton that I have ever come across.

I would like to know whether :

-This the standard Bright Vineyard Green ?
-If not, which particular Ford Green is this particular car actually painted and is it a correct color for 37?
-Has anyone seen this picture before ? What is the source of this particular picture i.e. if it is a book or a magazine, could anyone possibly give me the details

My restoration project has reached the final stage of painting. And I hope to finish it before the 75th Anniversary year is over.

3w2
09-03-2012 @ 7:58 PM
Senior

That's not exactly the best quality photo to pick a color from, but it would appear that the color is bright vineyard green.

Here's the color on a cabriolet.

TomO
09-04-2012 @ 8:00 AM
Senior

Nice photo from the Grand National. What I can see of my car looks great.

Tom

ravi.avalur
09-04-2012 @ 9:57 AM

Thank you 3w2 ! This picture is very useful !

TomO, is that your car ? It is really beautiful in this color and would suit my phaeton well. Just wanted to check that this is in effect Bright Vineyard Green and whether you had the Formula For Parts Per Quart for this or a color chip I could use for matching.

ravi.avalur
09-04-2012 @ 9:57 AM

Thank you 3w2 ! This picture is very useful !

TomO, is that your car ? It is really beautiful in this color and would suit my phaeton well. Just wanted to check that this is in effect Bright Vineyard Green and whether you had the Formula For Parts Per Quart for this or a color chip I could use for matching.

3w2
09-04-2012 @ 8:40 PM
Senior

I believe that Tom is referring to a car in the background as the bright vineyard green cabriolet in the foreground is my car.

As for matching the color, the paint on this car is alkyd enamel, the same paint used by Ford when the car was built in 1937. We cheated by adding a hardener which did wonders for the gloss and depth. I'm pretty sure that neither that type of paint or its matching hardener are still manufactured, hence the formula would not be helpful to you. Sorry.

ford38v8
09-04-2012 @ 9:59 PM
Senior

Tom's car is indeed the beautiful Mercury behind David and that ugly dude with the beard.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 9-4-12 @ 9:59 PM

TomO
09-05-2012 @ 7:05 AM
Senior

The beautiful cabriolet is David's car. I had the pleasure of being parked directly behind him at the Grand National and had to get in a plug for Mercury's on the Ford Forum. My car is the Como Blue Mercury.

My suggestion on getting a matching color is to have your paint supplier contact the antique car department of the paint manufacturer, PPG has a great one, and get a formula for the paint. Have him mix a small amount and spray a panel. Then have the color adjusted until you get the shade you think is correct.

Once you have the correct color, have enough mixed to complete your car and have at least 1 pint left over for touch ups. I prefer to have 1 quart left over.
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-5-12 @ 7:11 AM

3w2
09-05-2012 @ 8:10 PM
Senior

I second Tom's recommendation about the desirable amount of final coat paint left over as if you cut it too close, you will likely regret it down the road. I am living that nightmare right now, but it is fortunately only the undersides of two hood panels. (You would think that with modern technology and same formula that you could get more if you need it later and it would be a dead match, but that is not how life works, at least not mine (repeatedly).

Tom and Alan,

Thanks for the compliments on the Cabriolet and yes, that was a knockout Mercury in the background.

Dave

ford38v8
09-05-2012 @ 10:28 PM
Senior

David, Do you remember our conversation that day? My wife says I look mad!

Alan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org