Topic: 1937 Ford Green

ravi.avalur    -- 09-02-2012 @ 11:04 AM
  Many months ago, one of the Ford part suppliers who helped me a great deal with my restoration had sent me one of the only pictures of a Green 37 Phaeton that I have ever come across.

I would like to know whether :

-This the standard Bright Vineyard Green ?
-If not, which particular Ford Green is this particular car actually painted and is it a correct color for 37?
-Has anyone seen this picture before ? What is the source of this particular picture i.e. if it is a book or a magazine, could anyone possibly give me the details

My restoration project has reached the final stage of painting. And I hope to finish it before the 75th Anniversary year is over.

3w2    -- 09-03-2012 @ 7:58 PM
  That's not exactly the best quality photo to pick a color from, but it would appear that the color is bright vineyard green.

Here's the color on a cabriolet.

TomO    -- 09-04-2012 @ 8:00 AM
  Nice photo from the Grand National. What I can see of my car looks great.

Tom

ravi.avalur    -- 09-04-2012 @ 9:57 AM
  Thank you 3w2 ! This picture is very useful !

TomO, is that your car ? It is really beautiful in this color and would suit my phaeton well. Just wanted to check that this is in effect Bright Vineyard Green and whether you had the Formula For Parts Per Quart for this or a color chip I could use for matching.

ravi.avalur    -- 09-04-2012 @ 9:57 AM
  Thank you 3w2 ! This picture is very useful !

TomO, is that your car ? It is really beautiful in this color and would suit my phaeton well. Just wanted to check that this is in effect Bright Vineyard Green and whether you had the Formula For Parts Per Quart for this or a color chip I could use for matching.

3w2    -- 09-04-2012 @ 8:40 PM
  I believe that Tom is referring to a car in the background as the bright vineyard green cabriolet in the foreground is my car.

As for matching the color, the paint on this car is alkyd enamel, the same paint used by Ford when the car was built in 1937. We cheated by adding a hardener which did wonders for the gloss and depth. I'm pretty sure that neither that type of paint or its matching hardener are still manufactured, hence the formula would not be helpful to you. Sorry.

ford38v8    -- 09-04-2012 @ 9:59 PM
  Tom's car is indeed the beautiful Mercury behind David and that ugly dude with the beard.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 9-4-12 @ 9:59 PM

TomO    -- 09-05-2012 @ 7:05 AM
  The beautiful cabriolet is David's car. I had the pleasure of being parked directly behind him at the Grand National and had to get in a plug for Mercury's on the Ford Forum. My car is the Como Blue Mercury.

My suggestion on getting a matching color is to have your paint supplier contact the antique car department of the paint manufacturer, PPG has a great one, and get a formula for the paint. Have him mix a small amount and spray a panel. Then have the color adjusted until you get the shade you think is correct.

Once you have the correct color, have enough mixed to complete your car and have at least 1 pint left over for touch ups. I prefer to have 1 quart left over.
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-5-12 @ 7:11 AM

3w2    -- 09-05-2012 @ 8:10 PM
  I second Tom's recommendation about the desirable amount of final coat paint left over as if you cut it too close, you will likely regret it down the road. I am living that nightmare right now, but it is fortunately only the undersides of two hood panels. (You would think that with modern technology and same formula that you could get more if you need it later and it would be a dead match, but that is not how life works, at least not mine (repeatedly).

Tom and Alan,

Thanks for the compliments on the Cabriolet and yes, that was a knockout Mercury in the background.

Dave

ford38v8    -- 09-05-2012 @ 10:28 PM
  David, Do you remember our conversation that day? My wife says I look mad!

Alan

ravi.avalur    -- 09-07-2012 @ 4:41 AM
  Thank you for these tips!

The refurbishing manual I bought from Macs doesn't cover bright vineyard green and only covers vineyard green. PPG don't have information either. But autocolor library / TCP tell me that for 36$ they can give me a spray card for Bright Vineyard Green. In your opinion, would this be my only and / or best possible way to match my paint job to 1937 Bright Vineyard Green ?

Also, is Alkyl Enamel type paint still a possible option these days ?

3w2    -- 09-07-2012 @ 9:13 PM
  Alan,

Yes, I do remember. I'd say you look earnest,as you weren't mad.

David

TomO    -- 09-08-2012 @ 8:03 AM
  Ravi

If you live in the USA, I would purchase a pint of paint from TCP Global and spray it on a panel. That way you will be able to see the exact color that they are trying to sell you.

If you live outside of the USA, I would print the photo of David's car and then go to a paint supplier and ask to look at his chip books to get a color close to David's car.

I would not buy a spray card as the paint will not look the same as it does on a car.

Did you give your PPG dealer the IM-1761 or QDE-740 codes? That should get you the Vinyard Green color. The same formula was used in 1938 and called Bright Vinyard Green.

Tom

ravi.avalur    -- 09-11-2012 @ 7:02 AM
  Thank you for your guidance on this !

One question, how different is Dartmouth green and would it be judged as totally incorrect for a 1937 Phaeton ?

I see that Dartmouth Green became standard from 1938 onwards and the cover of an old EFV8 Times (Jan/Feb 1977) that my uncle gave me along with the car has a Phaeton on the cover that is described as painted in Dartmouth Green.

I might also add that the 37 Phaeton I have was built by Ford of Canada.

mrtexas    -- 09-12-2012 @ 7:24 PM
  I have 3 qts of 36 green in the Restoration line one of which is vineyard green I got from TCP Global. I just took about a brush full out of each qt. I'd sell for half price. I ended up going with bambalino blue instead of green. I'd shoot out the color on some sheet metal for $25.

This message was edited by mrtexas on 9-12-12 @ 7:32 PM

mrtexas    -- 09-12-2012 @ 7:27 PM
  The spray card was pretty close in my case. With TCP they spray the card and send you the paint as well.

3w2    -- 09-12-2012 @ 8:21 PM
  Bright vineyard green and vineyard green are noticeably different colors, with the latter clearly having a gray component.

ravi.avalur    -- 09-14-2012 @ 12:15 AM
  Problem is I and the car are in India and shipping paint except by sea would be quite difficult. Thanks though, I have ordered the spray cards from TCP.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5137