LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1933 Transmission Questions

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1933 Transmission Questions -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

BigBlockFord
03-11-2011 @ 6:58 AM

It had synthetic oil in it that I just drained. Some issues I have with the trans is difficulty getting into first, and occasionally popping out of second.

This message was edited by BigBlockFord on 3-11-11 @ 9:48 AM

Stroker
03-11-2011 @ 8:24 AM
Senior

BBF: Are you referring to the "knob" located on the plate on the back of the bell housing?
If so, that is a grease cup for the throwout bearing.

supereal
03-11-2011 @ 9:50 AM
Senior

We use kerosene as a cleaning agent for gearboxes. The type sold for camp stoves is readily available. Just pour it in and run the transmission for a short time, then drain. We don't use synthetics in our old cars because it tends to leak past the old style seals. Old Ford transmissions already are like a sieve, and don't need much encouragement to decorate your garage floor. 140 will stay in better, but the more common 80-90 is OK. I think Dan has answered your question regarding the "knob".

37RAGTOPMAN
03-11-2011 @ 10:15 AM
Senior

bigblock
after you drained it, did you run a magnet around in the old oil looking for metal shaving, did it hve a silver look to it,or chips etc,
you never said if the trans was rebuilt, or just a old trans,
usually going into first is a clutch, problem
is there enough free play in the clutch pedal,?
jumping out of second, check your shifting forks for wear,, maybe not going all the way into second,seems also like you may have some wear in the gear train, worn bearing might do this,
if worst comes to worst,
take the top cover off and look at the gears etc, and see if you can see any problems.
like super said you can wash the gears off,with kerosene,or diesel fuel,, I just to not like the oder these gives off,I usually use CRC BRAKE CLEAN,this drys up quickly,also has a oder but it goes away,
good luck, and Please POST a UPDATE,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN and KEEP on FORDIN,,

BigBlockFord
03-11-2011 @ 10:19 AM

It's a rebuilt transmission. No shavings were present, just nasty brown gear oil. I see Napa sells Valvoline 85W-140 non-synthetic gear oil. Would this be appropriate for the rear axle as well?

37RAGTOPMAN
03-11-2011 @ 11:40 AM
Senior

sounds like its worth a try, 140 will be good to use.
how was the clutch ajustment,?
maybe driving it a little will break the trans in,
how many miles did you put on the trans,?
was it like this from the get go?is it quiet and smooth?
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN lets hear how you make out,

supereal
03-11-2011 @ 11:52 AM
Senior

Some gear oil is nasty. The last time I drained a tractor transmission with that stuff in it, my wife threatened to make me sleep in the garage! Any time gear oil turns brown, it is important to be sure that moisture hasn't entered the box. The Valvoline 85W-140 would be fine in both the transmission and rear end. Fill both only to the bottom of the filler hole. Most transmissions leak oil down the torque tube into the rear end, so they often need topping off, but you will find excess in the rear end. Let it drain down to the bottom of the filler, or it is likely to end up on the rear brake shoes.

BigBlockFord
03-12-2011 @ 4:12 AM

OK, the 85W-140 is in the trans and rear axle. 2 1/2 pints for the trans and 2 pints for the rear axle as stated in the original specs. Now when, how much, and what type of grease is applied to the throw out bearing? As stated earlier, this was rebuilt maybe two years ago with minimal usage.
As far as free play in the clutch pedal, maybe 1 1/2 inches. The issue with engaging into first occurs occasionally. So would adjusting the clevis on the adjusting rod have any effect on this?
And finally, what is the purpose of the cotter pin in the base of the oil pan. See attached picture.

Stroker
03-12-2011 @ 6:46 AM
Senior

The cotter pin collects oil from the bottom of the clutch housing, and "wicks" it off into the
airstream when you drive. (Don't tell the EPA)

supereal
03-12-2011 @ 9:30 AM
Senior

Dan answered your question re the cotter pin. It isn't whether there will be an oil leak from the back main into the clutch housing, just how much! The cotter pin moves and prevents crud from plugging the hole. As to the transmission, popping out of second usually indicates that the shaft bearings are worn and/or the detent, blockers, and the forks in the shifter are sloppy. Shifting into first gear is easier if the idle speed isn't too high. Heavier (140) oil tends to slow the cluster down, as well. I've developed the habit, over the years, of shifting first into high gear before going into first. High is sychronized, but first isn't, and that will stop the gears.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org