LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Ford 1937 Phaeton - what shade of Green ?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Ford 1937 Phaeton - what shade of Green ? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

ravi.avalur
10-26-2010 @ 9:46 AM

I have just begun restoration of my great great grandmother's 1937 Ford Phaeton. Amongst the many original documents, I have the purchase receipt for the car. The purchase receipt records the car as a green deluxe convertible. I have a few questions for you experts out there on this forum:
a) having no roll-up windows, am I correct to assume that it is a Phaeton?
b) the car is right hand drive (as it was supplied to India), built by Ford of Canada and delivered in Bombay in October 1937. The receipt says its green. However, over the course of its life it has been repainted several times and perhaps not the right green. What greens were available in that year and how can I be sure of getting the original color
right ? Would anyone have color photos of a green 1937 phaeton to send me ?
c) I would much appreciate every photo of 1937 Phaetons that I can get.

BrianCT
10-26-2010 @ 2:58 PM

Ravi, welcome. My brother had a 37 phaeton years ago but not green.
Go to the home page on this site and go to store then to books. You need the 37 book to help you.
Brian

ravi.avalur
10-26-2010 @ 9:30 PM

Thank you Brian for your quick response. I did order the Ford 37 book a few weeks ago and a wonderful book it turned out to be.

However, it lists two options for Green - Bright Vineyard Green and Dalmatian Green. The invoice dated 1937 for the car only states "green".

Bright Vineyard Green according to the book seems to be anything but bright. In fact; it is a dark green more similar to British Racing Green (typically seen on Jaguars and Bentleys. Would I be able to cross reference the serial number with the exact color ?

Regards,

37RAGTOPMAN
10-27-2010 @ 4:20 PM
Senior

I would paint it a ORIGINAL COLOR you like,there is as far as I know, no indicator in the vin number as to what color the car was painted originally,
you will have tO live with the color, so you might as well paint it something you like,
and if green is it. than go for it.
I enclosed a picture of my 37.
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,,,,

Old Henry
10-27-2010 @ 10:06 PM
Senior

What you want is the "build sheet" that Ford created when they built your car originally. That will tell you which of the two '37 greens your car was. I know that those are available for many years. I don't have the phone number to call right now to check into that. I called it 4 years ago to get one for my '47 but they said that there was a fire in the place that stored them many years ago and the one for my car no longer existed. Maybe someone else knows how to get those now and for what years. If I can get the number I'll post it.

Still Old Henry

Old Henry
10-27-2010 @ 10:35 PM
Senior

Is there nothing left anywhere of the original paint? such as inside the trunk, under the door panels, under the dash board? It would seem unlikely that any of the repaints were so thorogh as to cover all of that up. If you can find any original paint and hold your two pain chips up to them you should be able to tell which is closer (even though even the hidden paint will have changed a little from its original color.) That hidden original paint is one of the clues I used to determine the original color of my car when I couldn't get a build sheet.

Still Old Henry

Stroker
10-28-2010 @ 7:28 AM
Senior

Years ago, when no one seemed to have heard of 1938 Desert Sand, I carefully pried the stainless
center off of my station wagon's spare hubcap (37's also use the two-piece design). Those caps were painted before the stainless was crimped on. Under the stainless was a good example of the color that had never been exposed to daylight. I packed the cap off to Bill Hirsch, and they came up with a beautiful match. So Ravi, if you have an original cap, I'd look under the stainless center cover. Also, it is possible that like my 38 which came from the Long Beach California
assembly plant, and had a color that was West Coast specific for "Open" cars, Ford of Canada might have had some special colors that would not show up on most color chips.

Old Henry
10-28-2010 @ 2:48 PM
Senior

Here's the number for the Henry Ford Museum that now stores all of the build sheets that still exist for you to call to find out exactly what color your car was when built (and a lot of other original options) if they still have your sheet: 313-271-1620

I've posted an image of their response with a photo copy of a build sheet for a friend of mine's '48 Lincoln Zephyr.

Still Old Henry

37RAGTOPMAN
10-28-2010 @ 3:59 PM
Senior

Stoker
Years ago when at a V8 NATIONAL MEET, I found out that DESERT SAND was a 1937 FORD SPRING COLOR. that was brought out in CALIFORNIA.to aid in FORD sales,
I guess it was carried over for 1938 and maybe 1939, but not sure,
I was told this by ROY N. from MI.
I painted my 1937 this color, it is a APRIL CAR,
My 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!!

Stroker
10-28-2010 @ 5:09 PM
Senior

37-My dad ordered my 38 wagon in November 37, assuming it would come through as a 37. The color he ordered was Dalmatian Green, but when the order was filled, of course Dalmatian Green was no longer an option. His (now my) wagon came through painted Desert Sand, which is really pretty close. I've seen your posted pictures of your beautiful 37, and thought it looked a little "light" to be Dalmatian Green. Thanks for clearing that up.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org