LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / water pump new vs old?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: water pump new vs old? -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

MICHV8
08-27-2010 @ 8:50 AM

I am trying to decide if a Skip rebuild at $200 is a smarter move than new at $100+ The old design is a bushing based and the new is a sealed bearing design...is the new actually a better designed pump?

37 Coupe
08-27-2010 @ 9:30 AM

I never took cost into account when having original bushing type pumps rebuilt by Skip or using the bushing type pump in general,to me it is the only way to go on 37-48 engines.I worked as a machinest in an industry where equipment exposed to heat and water used bushings when possible,bearings when need be,but a lot times that was the point of failure. The early pumps originally designed with an oiled bushing may wear but will not seize with a bearing that seal has failed to keep water out of,it may not ever happen but the possibilty is there. I guess that most repro bearing pumps are from India or China that are supplied. If you think Skip pumps are too expensive find a couple NOS or have someone else rebuild if you don't think you will need his impellers.

wmsteed
08-27-2010 @ 11:07 AM
Senior

There was a time when parts and labor were cheap... That time is gone forever.

I can remember when I was a kid, 60 plus years ago, leaking water pumps was a fact of life. It was very simple to go to Western Auto, pickup a couple of rebuild kits and in a short afternoon of work the pumps were rebuilt as good as new and would last a couple of years.
That time is also gone forever..

Now to the question at hand... Is the Skip Haney pumps better than the other rebuilt pumps on the market? For my money the pumps with new style ceramic seals and sealed bearings are far away the best way to go... They work very well with coolant and a small amount of pressure can be used in the system along with a recovery tank.

Is it advisable to use rebuilt old castings in lieu of new "Off Shore" manufactured pumps?... To me the answer is simple... Most of the off shore manufactured parts are borderline junk. With the difficulty of replacing a water pump plus the hassle of getting the vehicle home after it has lost it's coolant and possibly ruined an engine... The following old saying usually holds true.
"The bitter taste of low quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price"

It is very true that generally speaking the original style oiled bushings will not seize where-as ball bearings will.... HOW MANY OF THE OLD FORD PEOPLE KNOW THAT THE OIL PASSAGE TO THE WATER PUMP MUST BE CLEANED WHEN EVER A PUMP IS REPLACED?
EVERYONE THAT KNOWS THIS PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND.
Of course the old style seals leak where-as thew new style does not.

Earlier this morning I wrote a lengthy email to a friend of mine that called me for answers to how he could correct an over heating problem on a '36 Ford he is working on... He had used all of the old time fixes, washers in the hoses and cut blades off of the impellers.
Funny how old habits die so hard......

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 8-27-10 @ 11:15 AM

supereal
08-27-2010 @ 11:12 AM
Senior

The "new" pumps have dual sealed ball bearings and an improved coolant seal to go with the redesigned impeller. I agree that Skip is a fine craftsman, and if you want to stay with the old bushings and carbon seals, he can do it. When Ford went to the bearings instead of the bushings in '49, there was a water intrusion problem. Modern sealed bearings should eliminate that worry, and the "hit and miss" oiling necessary with the bushings, as well as the problem of egg shaped bushings when the belt is too tight.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-27-2010 @ 5:01 PM
Senior

I sent a set of 37 FORD SCRIPT pumps to SKIP and had him rebuild them, work good , and the best thing they actually fit on with no problems,
I heard some of the new pumps have had problems fitting on,
I think with SKIPS PUMPS, is a no brainer. if you were to have a problem, which I highly doubt, he stands behind his work,
HE USES BUSHING in his rebuilding process, for correct oil lubing.matter of fact they come with tape over the holes.and tell in instructions to make sure your oil passages are clean in your engine before installing so you will not seize the pumps or score the bushing and shafts,
and if you called him guess who answers the phone ?
were the other guys is a question,
my 3 cents worth,37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 8-28-10 @ 4:59 PM

TomO
08-28-2010 @ 8:02 AM
Senior

I have had bushing pumps seize on my car more than once and have seen them seize on other cars also. The machinery made and used in the pre 1970 era used bushings because they were cheaper and lasted a long time if kept properly oiled.

Skips pumps work great and move much more water than the stock pumps. I do not know how the new pumps sold by Drake and Carpenter move water with their redesigned impellers.

I prefer to have bearings over bushings in any rotating assembly. The ceramic seals and the sealed bearings in the new pumps should provide many years of trouble free service.

Tom

oldford2
08-30-2010 @ 9:48 AM

O K, Skip's pumps at @$200 a pair and the "new design" Chinese ones at $100+ a pair. I would think the retailer marks up the wholesale price 50% or so which means he paid maybe $65+ for the pair. The assumption is that sealed ball bearings and ceramic seals are better. I went to NAPA last month for a new ball bearing for my generator. I was quoted 2 prices: one for $3.50 and one for $12.80. My point is that there are low quality bearings out there and high quality bearings out there. Which one does the new pump have? Time will tell. I have over 5000 miles on a pair of Skip's pumps and no leaks or squeals yet. Until these "new" pumps are proven, buy American and let's get some new jobs in this country. My 2 cents
John

johnpoly
08-30-2010 @ 10:10 AM

I am a "Skip" fan. He did the waterpumps on by '36 and I am thrilled with the result. Average high was 200+ degrees, now down to 165 degrees on 95 degree days.

oldford2
08-30-2010 @ 10:42 AM

Tom, You are assuming that the new pumps have quality parts. Do you remember the first batches had their holes off so much they were useless? John

37RAGTOPMAN
08-30-2010 @ 11:38 AM
Senior

I am with OLDFORD
on buying AMERICAN MADE PARTS,
and rememeber USA ones comes with a phone number, for help when you need it,
MY 3 CENTS WORTH ,,,,37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP ON TRUCKIN

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org