LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Newbie to Early V8s

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Newbie to Early V8s

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

rpoole
04-08-2022 @ 7:39 AM

I have an opportunity to buy a 1934 V8 pickup, but I don't know enough about them to know what to look for, much less how much to offer. I am very familiar with Model T Fords, having driven, owned for years, so I know enough to be dangerous - to myself.

At this stage, I have only seen pictures. It appears to have a re-spray some years back, but the owner assures me the sheet metal and engine are original, never wrecked, no parts missing, and was running when last parked. That was twenty years ago. If the pictures are accurate, the truck appears to be in excellent condition, even underneath.

I will be able to see the truck in person, and I would appreciate advice on things to look for. I doubt I will be able to crank the engine and drive the truck, so I would like to have some idea as to how much it might cost to rebuild the engine, rear-end, etc.

Also, I have looked for values across several well-known sites such as Hemmings, etc., but haven't found anything that would give me a feel, so any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

trjford8
04-08-2022 @ 8:53 AM
Senior

To get a "relative" idea of prices check e-Bay in the "completed" items. It's the left hand menu after you have done the search for 33-34 pickups. You will see what has sold and those not sold, but with the highest bid attained. "Running when last parked" means nothing and has many meanings. Was it a rebuild or not? Why was it parked and not driven for 20 years?
If this pickup has been sitting for 20 years the motor may still be good, but it is a guessing game. You can almost bet the gas tank needs to be cleaned and if it has a hydraulic brake conversion you will need to go through the brake system. I would also suspect the radiator, due to electrolysis, will also need to be cleaned out. Any rubber components such as the flexible fuel line and radiator hoses will probably need to be replaced. Next will be the old tires. By now they will need to be replaced along with the tubes. Todays antique tires are not cheap
Check all the body work and look for evidence of repairs, especially the fender beads, bottom of the doors and cab corners. Also check for any evidence of paint blistering/bubbling which will tell you of poor repairs. After you have inspected the pickup get back to us with a photo(s) and tell us what you have observed and the asking price. When buying an old car you want this to be a happy experience and not a regrettable purchase.
I hope this gives some points for you to consider and if you have more questions come back to this site.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 4-8-22 @ 8:56 AM

rpoole
04-08-2022 @ 5:24 PM

Many thanks. Excellent advice.

42wagon
04-09-2022 @ 3:25 AM
Senior

One very important item not mentioned is is there a title for the vehicle and do the numbers on the title match the numbers on the truck. Then truck serial number can be found on the left hand frame rail between the radiator and the cowl. Or if you are lucky on top of the transmission housing. No title? You are asking for a world of headaches that you don't need depending on what state you are in.

v8er
04-09-2022 @ 7:02 AM

If you list your location, there may be a knowledgeable V8er nearby who would look at the truck with you.

As a newbie, you need to be aware that there are many more vehicles available than you would think. Only you can decide if you want a '34 pickup specifically, or do you want a nice V8 of any one of several years?

rpoole
04-09-2022 @ 2:56 PM

Again, more good information. The truck is titled and the numbers match. In fact, the owner has the original title. I live in the Jackson, Mississippi area, and would love to talk with a local V8er. Definitely want a V8 1/2 ton truck. Anyone know offhand if the rear drive ratio is different than '34 cars?

3w2
04-10-2022 @ 5:47 AM
Senior

The original '34 passenger car and commercial vehicle rear axle ratios were normally the same.

wmsteed
04-11-2022 @ 10:40 AM
Senior

Buying a vehicle that has not ran for twenty years can be nothing but problems from one end to the other. The common saying, "ran when I parked it" is as old as the hills.
I recently purchased a '53 that had not ran since 1994, a period of 27 years. The car was claimed to be a running driving car that needed some maintenance. It started and ran out of the trailer, died before we could get it in the yard.The car had 77, k on the odometer.
It cost me almost $3,000. to get the car running, new fuel tank, and lines/hoses, radiator & hoses. fuel pump, rebuild the carb, rebuilt distributor, spark plugs and wires, new brakes, shocks and tires. So far I have not driven the car anywhere except around the yard.
My advise would be to buy a running driving vehicle that only needs a little TLC.
I am not unhappy with the '53 I bought a twin to this car in 1954, had it for five years, My wife and I went on our honeymoon in the '53, we drove the car for over 70,k then sold it when I got transferred to Germany, I said many times that if I ever found a '53 that was a twin to the one we had, I would buy it..
The one I bought is an unmolested car, original upholstery etc., that had been repainted once prior to 1994.
Old Car Value Guide... low.. #6 $1,120. #5 3,480 average $2,300. Number 6 is parts car, #5 needs complete restoration of body, chassis, etc, may or may not be running.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 4-11-22 @ 10:51 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org