LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Removing eng compartment side panels

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Removing eng compartment side panels -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Tim I
06-17-2011 @ 9:43 AM

I'm switching from exhaust manifolds to headers on my '38 Standard coupe. It looks like those panels above the front fenders were designed to be removed to provide better access to the engine compartment. Is that right? If so, is it generally worth the trouble to remove and replace them? Any tricks or things to be careful of?

As usual, any advice is greatly appreciated...

Tim

Stroker
06-17-2011 @ 10:36 AM
Senior

Tim I:

Yeah, it's pretty hard to access the motor on a 37-39 standard without removing the side panels, but it is simple, as all you have to do is remove ALL the fasteners, including the rear screw
on the top rear edge. Other than being careful of the painted surfaces, they were designed to be easy to remove, as just about any maintenance task from changing plugs to battery service is greatly facilitated with the side panels off.

MG
06-17-2011 @ 10:38 AM
Senior

Is it that you now use a ladder when you have work to do in the engine compartment of your '38? My first order of business is to remove the side panels when I do most of the work I have to do to the engine in my '37. They are meant to be removed - just two screws and a nut. Sure does make the engine more accessible, like when changing the plugs etc.

This message was edited by MG on 6-17-11 @ 8:55 PM

Bill Wright
06-17-2011 @ 1:18 PM

If you start having over heating issues on a really hot day, removing the panels helps prevent vapor lock.I leave them off my '37 when I'm driving it summers at high altitude.

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

ford38v8
06-17-2011 @ 1:56 PM
Senior

Tim, I also have removed the ratchet hood prop, and use a very long wood stick to hold the hood up when working in the engine compartment. Lifting the hood up higher than normal tends to keep lumps and scabs off my bald head.

Alan

tierod
06-17-2011 @ 4:29 PM

Putting the sides back in is another issue. Watch where the fender welting is so it doesn't get pinched. I usually got a friend to help me as two hands really aren't enough. Good luck.

Tim I
06-17-2011 @ 4:38 PM

Thanks guys. That's the answer I was hoping for. I managed to get the coil and distributor on and off with the side panels in place, but I was always careful to not put any weight on them.

Alan, my car had the original hood prop disconnected when I got it, and I can see why. The car seems to be in original paint except for the hood, which looks like it was fixed after being kinked by someone who forgot (or didn't know) to lift before closing.

Thanks to all the great advice I've gotten here, so far I've replaced all the brakes (and added floaters!), replaced the kingpins,bushings and tierod ends, and had the coil and distributor rebuilt by Skip Haney. Since one exhaust manifold is cracked and the crossover pipe rotted out, I decided to go ahead and add Red's headers and dual exhaust. I have new tires and tubes waiting to be mounted (when I can figure out who to take them to) and then I should have a car I can drive and enjoy. Thanks again to everyone!

Tim

ford38v8
06-18-2011 @ 10:00 AM
Senior

Tim, there was an advertiser in the V8 Times a short while back that made and sold wheel balancing adapter plates for your wide bolt pattern whees. The plate allows for modern spin balancing. Check some recent back issues for his contact information, or ask at your Regional Group if anyone can lend you one. It's a good idea to mount the plate and find the heavy side of each wheel before mounting the tire, so as to turn the heavy side of the tire opposite, aiding the balance before adding weights. Be sure to get a large bottle of talc for the tube. Without the talc, the tube won't position correctly and will abrade on the tire and rim.

Alan

trjford8
06-18-2011 @ 4:26 PM
Senior

Tim, as a reminder the two front bolts of the manifold are 7/16 and the rest are 3/8. I know a lot of guys( including myself) who used all 3/8 bolts and wondered why the front two would not tighten.

Tim I
06-18-2011 @ 9:36 PM

Alan,

I think you are referring to Alpine Performance Machine. I did try to order an adapter plate, but my check was returned with a note that they had closed the shop (retired?) and that they had no more adapter plates. Awhile back, I asked here on this forum for any leads on tire mounting in Denver, but got no response. I guess I need to start going to the local chapter meetings, and see if I can get a referral.

trjford8,

Thanks for the reminder on the bolts!

Tim

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org