Topic: Removing eng compartment side panels

Tim I    -- 06-17-2011 @ 9:43 AM
  I'm switching from exhaust manifolds to headers on my '38 Standard coupe. It looks like those panels above the front fenders were designed to be removed to provide better access to the engine compartment. Is that right? If so, is it generally worth the trouble to remove and replace them? Any tricks or things to be careful of?

As usual, any advice is greatly appreciated...

Tim

Stroker    -- 06-17-2011 @ 10:36 AM
  Tim I:

Yeah, it's pretty hard to access the motor on a 37-39 standard without removing the side panels, but it is simple, as all you have to do is remove ALL the fasteners, including the rear screw
on the top rear edge. Other than being careful of the painted surfaces, they were designed to be easy to remove, as just about any maintenance task from changing plugs to battery service is greatly facilitated with the side panels off.

MG    -- 06-17-2011 @ 10:38 AM
  Is it that you now use a ladder when you have work to do in the engine compartment of your '38? My first order of business is to remove the side panels when I do most of the work I have to do to the engine in my '37. They are meant to be removed - just two screws and a nut. Sure does make the engine more accessible, like when changing the plugs etc.

This message was edited by MG on 6-17-11 @ 8:55 PM

Bill Wright    -- 06-17-2011 @ 1:18 PM
  If you start having over heating issues on a really hot day, removing the panels helps prevent vapor lock.I leave them off my '37 when I'm driving it summers at high altitude.

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

ford38v8    -- 06-17-2011 @ 1:56 PM
  Tim, I also have removed the ratchet hood prop, and use a very long wood stick to hold the hood up when working in the engine compartment. Lifting the hood up higher than normal tends to keep lumps and scabs off my bald head.

Alan

tierod    -- 06-17-2011 @ 4:29 PM
  Putting the sides back in is another issue. Watch where the fender welting is so it doesn't get pinched. I usually got a friend to help me as two hands really aren't enough. Good luck.

Tim I    -- 06-17-2011 @ 4:38 PM
  Thanks guys. That's the answer I was hoping for. I managed to get the coil and distributor on and off with the side panels in place, but I was always careful to not put any weight on them.

Alan, my car had the original hood prop disconnected when I got it, and I can see why. The car seems to be in original paint except for the hood, which looks like it was fixed after being kinked by someone who forgot (or didn't know) to lift before closing.

Thanks to all the great advice I've gotten here, so far I've replaced all the brakes (and added floaters!), replaced the kingpins,bushings and tierod ends, and had the coil and distributor rebuilt by Skip Haney. Since one exhaust manifold is cracked and the crossover pipe rotted out, I decided to go ahead and add Red's headers and dual exhaust. I have new tires and tubes waiting to be mounted (when I can figure out who to take them to) and then I should have a car I can drive and enjoy. Thanks again to everyone!

Tim

ford38v8    -- 06-18-2011 @ 10:00 AM
  Tim, there was an advertiser in the V8 Times a short while back that made and sold wheel balancing adapter plates for your wide bolt pattern whees. The plate allows for modern spin balancing. Check some recent back issues for his contact information, or ask at your Regional Group if anyone can lend you one. It's a good idea to mount the plate and find the heavy side of each wheel before mounting the tire, so as to turn the heavy side of the tire opposite, aiding the balance before adding weights. Be sure to get a large bottle of talc for the tube. Without the talc, the tube won't position correctly and will abrade on the tire and rim.

Alan

trjford8    -- 06-18-2011 @ 4:26 PM
  Tim, as a reminder the two front bolts of the manifold are 7/16 and the rest are 3/8. I know a lot of guys( including myself) who used all 3/8 bolts and wondered why the front two would not tighten.

Tim I    -- 06-18-2011 @ 9:36 PM
  Alan,

I think you are referring to Alpine Performance Machine. I did try to order an adapter plate, but my check was returned with a note that they had closed the shop (retired?) and that they had no more adapter plates. Awhile back, I asked here on this forum for any leads on tire mounting in Denver, but got no response. I guess I need to start going to the local chapter meetings, and see if I can get a referral.

trjford8,

Thanks for the reminder on the bolts!

Tim

trjford8    -- 06-19-2011 @ 6:56 AM
  Tim, I think Speedway Motors may have those adapter plates, but you have to buy a pair of them.

johnpoly    -- 06-20-2011 @ 12:26 PM
  Tim, I bought a wheel balancing plate two years ago.
It was shipped to me by David Ferencz, 954 Alpine Blvd,
Uniontown, OH 44685. It was used to balance the wheels on my '36 Ford. If memory serves it cost $85. Try contacting him. John

Tim I    -- 06-20-2011 @ 3:04 PM
  John,

That's the address of Alpine Machine, so David Ferencz must have been the proprietor. I guess I'll check out Speedway, although I hate to spend too much for something I may only need once. For now I guess I'll wait and see if someone in Denver might have one I can borrow.

Tim

Stroker    -- 06-20-2011 @ 4:40 PM
  Old time wheel balancers had these plates, but unlike Speedway's adapters, they didn't have a 5 on 5-1/2 bolt circle at the center, but simply a centering hole, so the cones or spindle on the balancer would center the wheel. I believe that the previously advertised plate was similar, and compatible with most modern balancers that pilot on the wheel's center. I have one, from an old John Bean dynamic balancer (which I also still have). The problem with my plate, is that will only fit on the 1" spindle on the JB. I've been meaning to take it to a machine shop and get it
opened up, and will have to do that before I put my 38 back on the road. If you find a source for the plates,(not the Speedway adapters), please share it with us as the cost of boring my old JB plate will probably be more than new one's sell for, and my lathe doesn't have enough swing to
do it. The Speedway adapters will work, but they are $pensive, and you don't need a pair.

Stroker    -- 06-20-2011 @ 4:51 PM
  Tim I:

If you do decide to opt for the Speedway adapter plates, you might consider posting the extra plate on the Classified section of our website. Surely there are other 36-39 owners who like balanced tires.

ford38v8    -- 06-20-2011 @ 5:17 PM
  There's always the option of laying out your own pattern on a 1/4" steel plate and taking it to a machine shop to cut. The cost would likely be considerable, but a few extra plates made could get your money back upon their sale.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3255