LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Defective Fram C4 oil filter ???

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Defective Fram C4 oil filter ??? -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Grant
06-25-2010 @ 3:19 PM
Senior

On June 22nd, bo8109b started a discussion topic called "Spark Plugs".

The same day, Stroker responded with comments which included:

"Given the degradation of quality, I wouldn't recommend a Champion spark plug today, even for my lawn mower. The same goes for Fram filters, which used to be the best for Fords."

About a year ago, I changed the oil on an 8BA V8 engine and used a Fram C4 filter. Immediately upon firing the engine it had a low frequency, quite audible, knocking noise which had never been there before. It sounded something like a bad rod bearing.

Is it possible that the Fram C4 filter was defective and did not allow oil to pass through it, thereby causing lubricant starvation ? If not, what else might be wrong with using a Fram C4 filter ?

What oil filters are you fellows using on the 1949 to 1953 V8 engines ? What would you recommend rather than the Fram C4 ?

Any ideas about what might be causing this previously non-existent engine noise, which wasn't there before the oil change ?

trjford8
06-25-2010 @ 6:26 PM
Senior

I've seen several posts that recommend the Wix filters.

JebNY
06-25-2010 @ 6:51 PM

Far from an expert on this but I believe all these drop in filters (assuming you haven't modified the engine oil feeds) are partial filters, they are just another feed in the system and filter what oil gets piped to them. They can be completely blocked and would not starve the engine for oil.

I suppose if it fell a part and spit pieces of paper into the oil pan it would plug up the oil pump pretty quick.

Jim...

1950 F1 Stake

ford38v8
06-25-2010 @ 10:31 PM
Senior

Grant, I agree with Jeb. If the oil filter were clogged for some reason, the effect would actually be more oil to your engine rather than less, as the filter runs off a tee, taking only what the engine does not.

Your knock may have been due to an engine flush (when you changed your oil) that effectively allowed your oil pump to lose its prime. This can and does happen sometimes even in a modern engine. If you don't get immediate oil pressure when starting your engine, the usual cure is to simply turn off the engine for a moment, and then restart. Always watch your oil pressure when you start up, particularly after an oil change.

Alan

Grant
06-26-2010 @ 7:30 AM
Senior

Thanks for your responses.

The engine and its oil filter set-up are stock Ford, unaltered from new.

The old filter was removed intact during the oil change.

Could an old or damaged clutch disc suddenly start making a noise that sounds like a rod bearing knock ?

I've heard of Wix oil filters, but haven't seen one for years. Does anyone know the Wix part number for '49 to '53 Ford V8 engines ?

supereal
06-26-2010 @ 11:18 AM
Senior

If your filter is of the vertical type, prefill the canister before starting the engine. As noted above, there is no oil pressure at start up after draining until the filter is full. If the knock goes away soon after starting, it is common. At our shop, we haven't had any problems with Fram or any other name brand. If we do, it isn't unusual to find that the old gasket wasn't removed before a new filter was installed, or the filter was cross threaded when installed. Be sure you have the correct filter, as the "drainback" valve in the unit must match the engine. Beware of counterfeit filters. There are increasing numbers out there. When in doubt, buy from a place such as NAPA.

JebNY
06-26-2010 @ 3:27 PM

WIX 51006 is the replacement for Fram C4. That is what I use in my 50 F1.

I don't think these drop in filters have a drain back valve. The way they are feed they stay full of oil in operation. Filling the canister with fresh oil before putting the top on is definitely a good idea.

Jim...

1950 F1 Stake

Stroker
06-26-2010 @ 4:50 PM
Senior

Most of the problems I have had with Fram oil filters have been on newer full-flow systems. My complaints are based upon 2 observations. 1) The method of retaining the built-in gasket is "iffy-enough" to allow the later spin-on filters to be removed sans gasket. 2) the internals contain cardboard pieces that are supposed to function as anti-drainback, and relief valves.

I like the spin-on Wix filters, so I have assumed that everything that Fram makes is absolute
Wal-Mart-price-point CRAP. As for the Champion Plugs, I used to swear by them, but have since
switched to NKG's on anything I care about.

I agree that you could put just about anything in a partial flow OEM Ford filter housing, including
rolls of toilet paper, as if it plugs up, it will simply bypass. The real point however, is to put something "good" in that housing, so you get some benefit from it.

Grant
06-27-2010 @ 7:53 AM
Senior

Thanks again for all your input, gentlemen.

As ford38V8 commented, I did shut off and re-start the engine. The knocking sound was still there. With hand-operation of the throttle, the frequency of the knock increased along with engine rpms. It certainly sounded like low oil pressure to me.

Supereal recommends prefilling the oil filter canister with oil. That was not done in this case. In future, I will definitely do that.

The vehicle is low mileage, but has been in storage since 1958 (still has '58 plates). The problem oil change was number four after getting the car running (total operating time approximately thirty minutes). The engine had been running beautifully on 15W40. The knocking sound commenced when I switched to Phillips 20W50. This is an aviation oil which is supposed to have much higher ZDDP content because aircraft are not subject to EPA regulations which govern the operation of motor vehicles. Using this airplane 20W50 seemed like a good idea at the time. I have recently spoken to an engineer at Conoco Phillips in Texas. He didn't seem to know much about early Ford engines and basically said "no comment" .

The situation has irritated me so much that the engine is now out and on the garage floor, partially disassembled.

The rod bearings showed very little wear and appear to be undamaged. They are original STD FoMoCo. New STD Clevite rod bearings have been installed.

The main bearings are also STD FoMoCo, in excellent condition. Rather than disturb the upper halves and possibly cause damage, the main caps were re-installed with the original bearings in place (mains torqued to 100; rods torqued to 50).

Further observations are:

1. very little sludge in the bottom of the oil pan

2. oil pickup screen 6623 in very nice condition with almost no grunge in it.

3. screen cover and inlet tube assembly 6615 were completely clear with no blockage of any kind.

4. oil pump seems to be fine with 6608 and 6610 gears dripping with oil and no signs of damage.

I will be removing the 6672 plug next to see if the 6654 spring is damaged or broken.

While the oil pump is apart, do you think that the 6654 spring should be replaced? If so, where do I get one that is genuine N.O.S. FoMoCo ?

What else can I be checking while the engine is on the floor ? Cylinder walls look good, and compression is strong.

I do not want to re-install this engine until the source of the knocking problem has been identified and corrected.

Perhaps the oil filter cansister not being pre-filled with oil, and having a dry Fram C4 filter at start-up, was what I did wrong ???

With respect to the clutch, are the Denn** Carpent** replacement discs high quality, trustworthy units ? It seems to me that the original clutch disc, which does show some wear, might as well be changed before engine re-installation. Do you fellows agree with that ?

supereal
06-27-2010 @ 10:23 AM
Senior

An engine knock that doesn't go away when oil pressure goes up may originate from a source other than the main or rod bearings. It is often piston "slap" when the pistons were not carefully matched to the bore. Now that you have the engine apart, have both the pistons and cylinder walls measured, and inspect the wrist pins for fit. Check all bearings, rods and mains, with PlastiGage to be sure all are correct. We grind cranks in our shop, and it is not unusual to find a journal that was turned undersize for some reason, and then a stock insert put in, instead of an oversize. As for the oil pump, if you have any reason to doubt yours, replace it. New 80# pumps are about $160. Check your old pump to be sure that the pickup tube is secure. We braze the pickup, just to be sure. Unless your clutch disk shows signs of excess wear or burning, it should be OK. Many replacements are not of good quality.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org