LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 39 headlamp footswitch role

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 39 headlamp footswitch role

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

parrish
11-07-2010 @ 6:24 PM

I have a new Vintique dash wiring harness (91A-14401D) and headlight (91A-11653B) and the parking lights work (original bucket with bulbs), but the headlights do not (horns work too, which made my day!). As the footswitch is not involved with the parking, but is involved with high/low beam, I suspect it is causing the problem. Does it provide the ground or simply route the positive?

ford38v8
11-07-2010 @ 6:32 PM
Senior

Parrish, Your buckets go to ground, the dimmer routes the hot wire. Dimmers are notorious for failures. Try wire to wire. If that lights the bulbs, get a new dimmer.

Alan

51f1
11-08-2010 @ 1:21 AM
Senior

I am not familiar w/your vehicle, but some things are universal. If I'm wrong, someone please let us know.

The first thing you should do is check to see that the headlights are grounded (assuming that the bulbs are good). One wire at the headlights will be black, which is ground. Check the ground using an ohmmeter. The reading from the headlight ground terminal on the headlight connector to a good ground (the battery ground terminal) should be zero. If it is infinite, the ground is bad. If the ground is bad, fix the problem.

If the ground is good, with your headlight switch on, check the voltage to ground at each dimmer switch connection. Two terminals should have voltage. Change the switch position and you should still have voltage at two terminals, but one will be different than before. 1. If you don't get any voltage, your problem will be elsewhere (headlight switch or wiring from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch). 2. In either switch position, if you get voltage at only one terminal, the switch is bad. 3. If the switch is good, the problem is either the headlight ground, which you should have already eliminated, or in the wiring from the dimmer switch to the headlights.

Richard

supereal
11-08-2010 @ 9:50 AM
Senior

Double check the "bullet" connectors in all the wires to and from the dimmer, and under the hood. These were designed for ease of connection on the assembly line, and are notorious for causing problems. We remove the bullet couplers and solder the wires, and use black heat shrink tubing to cover the joint. They then resemble the original, but contact is assured. As the others have said, the dimmer switch is a weak link, as it is exposed to the weather under the floorboard. Repros often are bad from the start. I operate my headlight relay board with the dimmer switch to reduce the load on the switch and to get bright headlights.

This message was edited by supereal on 11-8-10 @ 11:06 AM

parrish
11-09-2010 @ 8:49 AM

What a day! I ran wire to wire and checked everything.
The floorswitch was no good so it was removed, but I still couldn't get the high/low bulb to light while in the bucket. Checked headlamp wiring harness and bulbs off the car and they were good, so I suspected a ground problem. Then tested off the car with ground from a bucket screw...good. Everything back in bucket...bad. Cleaned reflector at lamp socket...still bad. Checked parking light in bucket...good. Hmmm. Maybe ground is not problem! Even though bulb lights off car maybe something...Eureka! Somehow the bulb base was turned so the contacts were not lining up. Got the base to turn so contacts were lined up and bingo! Lights, camera, action...

fsacht
11-09-2010 @ 3:23 PM

Interesting discussion. In the past few days I have replaced the wiring on my 48 Merc. When I tried the lights I had headlights but no instrument lights. Also with switch in park light mode I had nothing. As I moved the switch to off I noticed momentary instrument panel lights. Turned out that the headlight switch was bad so at the detent points I didn't have contact. Switch came with 14401 loom I bought from Mac. Installed original switch and all is well.

51f1
11-10-2010 @ 1:30 PM
Senior

Made in China no doubt!

Richard

parrish
11-10-2010 @ 8:14 PM

You know I will throw in a plug for Vintique as a quality company. The wiring harnesses were all top-notch with good firm connectors and a nicely done schematic. I also bought their running board covers which were also excellent quality. Ditto for their bumper arm grommets. I don't know who or where their products are made, but I'm happy to have them...

parrish
11-10-2010 @ 8:15 PM

You know I will throw in a plug for Vintique as a quality company. The wiring harnesses were all top-notch with good firm connectors and a nicely done schematic. I also bought their running board covers which were also excellent quality. Ditto for their bumper arm grommets. I don't know who or where their products are made, but I'm happy to have them...

51f1
11-11-2010 @ 5:19 AM
Senior

My impression of these suppliers (after corresponding w/Dennis Carpenter on quality) is that they don't even look at some of the stuff they ship. You'd think that they'd open a few packages just to see what they are selling. I got headlight buckets that were very poorly made. It turned out they were made in the U.S., but, obviously, no one at the supplier had ever looked at them.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 11-11-10 @ 5:20 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org