LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Oil pan vent triangle.

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Oil pan vent triangle. -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Gary M.
10-03-2012 @ 4:30 PM

Hi guys. My question is about the famous crankcase vent triangle on the front of the engine. Is it removable for cleaning ? I attempted to remove it but I dont want to break anything. I remoced 4 of the oil pan bolts but thats about all. If its not removable then how do you clean it? Thanks guys...

kubes40
10-03-2012 @ 5:01 PM
Senior

It is not removable.
Clean it? Why? I have seen some pretty nasty engines and the vent (on the pan) was still able to breathe.

Gary M.
10-03-2012 @ 5:44 PM

I am told that this opening is an important part of the crankcase breather system and can cause excessive blowby if it is clogged.

ford38v8
10-03-2012 @ 6:41 PM
Senior

Ya, so good reason to save your four-wheelin' to the mudders!

Alan

Old Henry
10-04-2012 @ 4:56 AM
Senior

The opening is pretty big and it's hard to imagine it actually being plugged up. But, if you want to clean it you could squirt some engine degreaser or carburetor cleaner up into it and swab it out with a rag. Don't know why you would though.

That vent is to draw the blow by gases out of the crankcase and valve compartment to reduce contamination of the oil by the contaminants and moisture created by the blow by. It does not increase or decrease blow by, even if totally plugged.

The more important part of that system to keep clean is the breather/oil filler cap where the air goes in. As the small draw of air out of the bottom vent does not create a great vacuum to suck air into that breather cap it is important to keep it clean to allow the fresh air to enter there for the ventilation system.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

Gary M.
10-05-2012 @ 6:28 PM

I would assume that with the pistons going up and down that air will be going both in and out of the top vent oil fill cap as well as the triangle vent on the oil pan. I know that on the older Fords there is an air scoop which I guess would catch air from the engine fan and push the crankcase fumes out of the bottom vent. I wonder why Ford did away with this scoop? Would cleaning that oil fill cap be part of regular maintenance back in the day ? Im just looking for a way to get that smoke out of the engine a bit quicker so that it doesnt stink up the car and my garage. aside from a ring job , any ideas guys ? Thanks....

supereal
10-05-2012 @ 7:19 PM
Senior

Smoke and fumes have plagued old Fords almost from the beginning. That led to an aftermarket device that fit into the oil filler and had a long flexible metal tube that channeled the stuff under the car where the slipstream whisked it away. The oil pan vent was supposed to pull air into the oil filler cap and release it under the car. It didn't work really well, and was replaced by a vent tube in the last flatheads. You are correct that the fumes are largely blowby around the rings and valve guides. Fiddling with crankcase venting is a crutch, and the only sure cure is an overhaul or a gas mask.

ford38v8
10-05-2012 @ 8:27 PM
Senior

Gary, you can install a PCV valve. Draws the smoke into the air filter and to the carburetor. Benefits the air quality and give you a little better gas mileage.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 10-5-12 @ 8:28 PM

Stroker
10-06-2012 @ 7:52 AM
Senior

When we serviced our "fleet" of Flatheads in the Fifties, we always washed the oil filler
cap in Stoddard solvent (very similar to today's "mineral spirits", followed by a light oiling with a pistol oiler of the mesh inside. The bottom vent was supposed to pull
the fumes out the bottom, and fresh air was supposed to come in through the filler cap,
with any dust or debris being filtered by the mesh in the cap. I say "supposed", because
as Super has stated, it didn't work very well; and probably not at all on our stationary
engines. We switched most over to Fram forced ventilation (which used a small heater type
motor and blower) in the later years. The claim was that it kept the oil cleaner, since
it forced the fumes out of the crankcase. I'd question whether adding a PCV valve would have any effect on fuel mileage, unless you consider crankcase fumes: (moisture, acids, and carbon particulates) to be a fuel source.

MG
10-06-2012 @ 8:02 PM
Senior

Gary M.,

Click on this link:

http://www.jamcosuspension.com/products/productID/1504

I'm sure this will be of interest to you and is probably what you are seeking......MG

P.S. Be sure to click on the 'Downloads
PCV4953 Install Instructions' at this site.

Ooops - never mind. This kit is for an 8BA. But, maybe you could adapt it for your purpose.....

This message was edited by MG on 10-6-12 @ 8:18 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org