LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1940 FORD PICK-UP STEERING

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 FORD PICK-UP STEERING -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

BRAM
11-15-2009 @ 8:52 AM

WE HAVE A 40 FORD TRK. IT STEERS HORRIBLE! LOOKING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM WITH EITHER A POWER STEERING BOX FROM WHAT?? OR A POWER ASSIST FROM WHAT LATE MODEL TRK. OR CAR THAT WILL ADAPT. ALSO, MY BUDDY HAS A SIMILAR PROBLEM ON HIS 54 FORD PICK-UP. WE ARE STUMPED!! PLEASE HELP US ROOKIES. NO, WE DON'T WANT THE MUSTANG 2 ANSWER. WANT TO KEEP THE TRKS. AS STOCK AS POSSIBLE. BOB AND ROGER. BRAM78@CHARTER.NET

supereal
11-15-2009 @ 11:04 AM
Senior

We spent some time looking for a power steering setup for a customer's '59 Ford, but came up empty at every source we knew. Most old Fords do take some effort to steer, compared to today's vehicles. That is why they are often referred to as "Armstrong" steering. Beyond "horrible", you didn't describe the problem. It would help to have a better idea of what you and your friend find objectionable, if it is beyond taking some muscle.

37RAGTOPMAN
11-15-2009 @ 5:13 PM
Senior

HI
I would check the king pins for stiffness,
disconnect the tie rods and see if you can turn the spindle on each side,and see if they are free,[ I have seen these freeze up with rust and bind up ]
make sure you also have the correct tire pessure,
and see if there is lube in the steering box,
and see if there are any worn parts, that can misalign the front end causing tight steering,[sloppy and worn parts]
driving a vintage car takes a little getting used to,
especially if you are used power steering,
tires that are worn down also cause hard steering,
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN
I drive a 37 and really do not have any real issues with the steering, esp when the car is moving,
standing still it is a little harder,but not unbearable, were I would convert the car to power steering,

trjford8
11-15-2009 @ 8:18 PM
Senior

In the past I have used the Saginaw 525 manual steering box in my old Fords.It has a better ratio and when combined with the large Ford steering wheel they do steer very nice. This box is found on the mid 60's to mid 70's GM cars(Chevelle, Skylark,LeMans, etc).You will have to cut the stock steering shaft and mate it to the newer box with a universal joint.
In regards to your friend's 54 Ford pickup there is a solution. Those trucks did not steer well when new. Have your friend contact Sacramento Vintage Ford. They make a kit that adapts power steering from a Toyota pickup to the F-100.

BRAM
11-18-2009 @ 3:35 PM

CHECK THE KINKPINS IS A GOOD START. AIR PRESSURE IS NOT THE PROB. WE HAVE 40 LBS. IN THEM. IT HELPED. ALSO, OUR 40 FORD , AFTER CLOSER CHECKING, IT HAS A VEGA BOX. PUT IT ON A LIFT; WE ARE NOW LOOKING FOR A POWER VEGA BOX IF THERE WAS SUCH A THING. ANY MORE IDEAS WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKS BRAM.

BRAM
11-18-2009 @ 3:41 PM

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS. OUR 40 FORD TRK. AFTER FURTHER CHECK ON A LIFT, IT ALREADY HAS A VEGA BOX IN IT. WE ARE NOW LOOKING FOR A POWER VEGA BOX IF THEY MAKE ONE. ANY OTHER HELP/ THANKS BRAM.. HAVE A SACRAMENTO BOOK. NOT SO READY TO PUT GM INTO THIS CLASSIC FORD. HAVE ALSO NOTICED THEY ADVERTISE POWER ASSIST UNITS BUT THEY DON'T SEEM TO HAVE ANY IN STOCK. ANY MORE IDEAS?

supereal
11-19-2009 @ 8:22 AM
Senior

Finding a power rack and pinion is usually better than looking for a power steering sector. Then, the biggest problem is finding a way to mount the pump. Most rack and pinion units have a built in valve that senses the pull on the tie rod, reducing the amount of plumbing. I'm unaware of any power steering on a Vega. They were an early "economy car", and hardly had any extra power to spare.

trjford8
11-19-2009 @ 8:24 AM
Senior

Bram, there is a big difference between the Vega box and the Saginaw 525.The Vega is a little too light for your 40 pickup. If you use the 525 with the stock 40 steering wheel you will be fine. Keep in mind that all other parts of the steering mechanism must be in good shape. No change of steering gear will help if you have worn kingpins,sloppy tie rod/drag link ends, worn or loose wheel bearings,bad shocks, or questionable tires.Also make sure that the front spring is tight in the frame and the spring shackles are not worn. All this adds to bad handling characteristics.
BTW, is that Vega box new or used.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 11-19-09 @ 6:29 PM

BRAM
11-21-2009 @ 4:24 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEAS. THIS 40 PICK-UP IS MY BUDDIES WHO LIVES IN MAINE. I DON'T GET TO HELP HIM MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH. HE HAS A LATE MODEL GM. TILT STEERING COLLUMN.BUT I DID NOTICE THAT WHEN WE HAD IT ON MY LIFT LAST WEEK, A HARD STEER TO EITHER SIDE MOVED THE STRAIGHT AXLE, WHEN IT REACHED THE END OF THE TURN, BOTH WAYS, ABOUT I/2"? SINGLE STOCK MOUNTED SPRING WITH SHACKLES. IS THAT NORMAL? SOMEONE PUT IN THE VEGA BOX, WE DID'NT. THERE IS VERY LITTLE ROOM FOR ANYTHING BIGGER. KEEP THINKING GUYS, I'M LISTNING! THANKS ,BRAM...CUZ'S CAR CLUB [NORTHEAST CHAPTER]TRYING TO HELP ONE OF OUR FOUNDING MEMBERS..

BRAM
11-21-2009 @ 4:34 PM

WE DON'T WANT TO GO THE RACK AN PINION ROUTE . IT ISN'NT MY TRK. AND I CAN'T GET INTO TOO MANY HOURS FOR MY BUDDY ONLY COMES DOWN FROM MAINE ONCE A MONTH AND HE STAYS WITH US FOR ONLY A COUPLE OF DAYS.I CAN'T TIE UP MY GARAGE FOR TOO LONG THEN WORSE, I HAVE NO ROOM TO STORE HIS TRK FOR A MONTH TILL I SEE HIM AGAIN. ONE OF YOU GUYS SUGGESTED A SAGINAW BOX IS THAT SIDE STEERING OR CROSS STEERING? THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING WE COULD DO ON A WEEKEND ON MY LIFT. THE ONLY QUESTION IS IT IS A TIGHT SPACE ON THIS LITTLE PICK-UP; DON'T KNOW IF THE SAGINAW BOX IS TOO BIG? THANKS TO ALL, BRAM..

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org