Topic: 1940 FORD PICK-UP STEERING

BRAM    -- 11-15-2009 @ 8:52 AM
  WE HAVE A 40 FORD TRK. IT STEERS HORRIBLE! LOOKING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM WITH EITHER A POWER STEERING BOX FROM WHAT?? OR A POWER ASSIST FROM WHAT LATE MODEL TRK. OR CAR THAT WILL ADAPT. ALSO, MY BUDDY HAS A SIMILAR PROBLEM ON HIS 54 FORD PICK-UP. WE ARE STUMPED!! PLEASE HELP US ROOKIES. NO, WE DON'T WANT THE MUSTANG 2 ANSWER. WANT TO KEEP THE TRKS. AS STOCK AS POSSIBLE. BOB AND ROGER. BRAM78@CHARTER.NET

supereal    -- 11-15-2009 @ 11:04 AM
  We spent some time looking for a power steering setup for a customer's '59 Ford, but came up empty at every source we knew. Most old Fords do take some effort to steer, compared to today's vehicles. That is why they are often referred to as "Armstrong" steering. Beyond "horrible", you didn't describe the problem. It would help to have a better idea of what you and your friend find objectionable, if it is beyond taking some muscle.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-15-2009 @ 5:13 PM
  HI
I would check the king pins for stiffness,
disconnect the tie rods and see if you can turn the spindle on each side,and see if they are free,[ I have seen these freeze up with rust and bind up ]
make sure you also have the correct tire pessure,
and see if there is lube in the steering box,
and see if there are any worn parts, that can misalign the front end causing tight steering,[sloppy and worn parts]
driving a vintage car takes a little getting used to,
especially if you are used power steering,
tires that are worn down also cause hard steering,
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN
I drive a 37 and really do not have any real issues with the steering, esp when the car is moving,
standing still it is a little harder,but not unbearable, were I would convert the car to power steering,

trjford8    -- 11-15-2009 @ 8:18 PM
  In the past I have used the Saginaw 525 manual steering box in my old Fords.It has a better ratio and when combined with the large Ford steering wheel they do steer very nice. This box is found on the mid 60's to mid 70's GM cars(Chevelle, Skylark,LeMans, etc).You will have to cut the stock steering shaft and mate it to the newer box with a universal joint.
In regards to your friend's 54 Ford pickup there is a solution. Those trucks did not steer well when new. Have your friend contact Sacramento Vintage Ford. They make a kit that adapts power steering from a Toyota pickup to the F-100.

BRAM    -- 11-18-2009 @ 3:35 PM
  CHECK THE KINKPINS IS A GOOD START. AIR PRESSURE IS NOT THE PROB. WE HAVE 40 LBS. IN THEM. IT HELPED. ALSO, OUR 40 FORD , AFTER CLOSER CHECKING, IT HAS A VEGA BOX. PUT IT ON A LIFT; WE ARE NOW LOOKING FOR A POWER VEGA BOX IF THERE WAS SUCH A THING. ANY MORE IDEAS WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKS BRAM.

BRAM    -- 11-18-2009 @ 3:41 PM
  THANKS FOR THE IDEAS. OUR 40 FORD TRK. AFTER FURTHER CHECK ON A LIFT, IT ALREADY HAS A VEGA BOX IN IT. WE ARE NOW LOOKING FOR A POWER VEGA BOX IF THEY MAKE ONE. ANY OTHER HELP/ THANKS BRAM.. HAVE A SACRAMENTO BOOK. NOT SO READY TO PUT GM INTO THIS CLASSIC FORD. HAVE ALSO NOTICED THEY ADVERTISE POWER ASSIST UNITS BUT THEY DON'T SEEM TO HAVE ANY IN STOCK. ANY MORE IDEAS?

supereal    -- 11-19-2009 @ 8:22 AM
  Finding a power rack and pinion is usually better than looking for a power steering sector. Then, the biggest problem is finding a way to mount the pump. Most rack and pinion units have a built in valve that senses the pull on the tie rod, reducing the amount of plumbing. I'm unaware of any power steering on a Vega. They were an early "economy car", and hardly had any extra power to spare.

trjford8    -- 11-19-2009 @ 8:24 AM
  Bram, there is a big difference between the Vega box and the Saginaw 525.The Vega is a little too light for your 40 pickup. If you use the 525 with the stock 40 steering wheel you will be fine. Keep in mind that all other parts of the steering mechanism must be in good shape. No change of steering gear will help if you have worn kingpins,sloppy tie rod/drag link ends, worn or loose wheel bearings,bad shocks, or questionable tires.Also make sure that the front spring is tight in the frame and the spring shackles are not worn. All this adds to bad handling characteristics.
BTW, is that Vega box new or used.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 11-19-09 @ 6:29 PM

BRAM    -- 11-21-2009 @ 4:24 PM
  THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEAS. THIS 40 PICK-UP IS MY BUDDIES WHO LIVES IN MAINE. I DON'T GET TO HELP HIM MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH. HE HAS A LATE MODEL GM. TILT STEERING COLLUMN.BUT I DID NOTICE THAT WHEN WE HAD IT ON MY LIFT LAST WEEK, A HARD STEER TO EITHER SIDE MOVED THE STRAIGHT AXLE, WHEN IT REACHED THE END OF THE TURN, BOTH WAYS, ABOUT I/2"? SINGLE STOCK MOUNTED SPRING WITH SHACKLES. IS THAT NORMAL? SOMEONE PUT IN THE VEGA BOX, WE DID'NT. THERE IS VERY LITTLE ROOM FOR ANYTHING BIGGER. KEEP THINKING GUYS, I'M LISTNING! THANKS ,BRAM...CUZ'S CAR CLUB [NORTHEAST CHAPTER]TRYING TO HELP ONE OF OUR FOUNDING MEMBERS..

BRAM    -- 11-21-2009 @ 4:34 PM
  WE DON'T WANT TO GO THE RACK AN PINION ROUTE . IT ISN'NT MY TRK. AND I CAN'T GET INTO TOO MANY HOURS FOR MY BUDDY ONLY COMES DOWN FROM MAINE ONCE A MONTH AND HE STAYS WITH US FOR ONLY A COUPLE OF DAYS.I CAN'T TIE UP MY GARAGE FOR TOO LONG THEN WORSE, I HAVE NO ROOM TO STORE HIS TRK FOR A MONTH TILL I SEE HIM AGAIN. ONE OF YOU GUYS SUGGESTED A SAGINAW BOX IS THAT SIDE STEERING OR CROSS STEERING? THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING WE COULD DO ON A WEEKEND ON MY LIFT. THE ONLY QUESTION IS IT IS A TIGHT SPACE ON THIS LITTLE PICK-UP; DON'T KNOW IF THE SAGINAW BOX IS TOO BIG? THANKS TO ALL, BRAM..

TomO    -- 11-22-2009 @ 8:15 AM
  If you don't want to spend a lot of time re-engineering the steering system, change it back to the stock system. Have your buddy search junk yards and place an ad for the stock box and column.

Tom

trjford8    -- 11-22-2009 @ 8:20 AM
  The 525 Saginaw is a cross steer box.It should fit in place of the Vega and has the same mounting bolt pattern. You will need an aftermarket pitman arm for the correct length and the correct taper for the Ford drag link.These arms can be purchased from most hot rod shops such as Chassis Engineering(www.chassisengineeringinc.com).Also check their mounting brackets for the steering box.
If you have the pickup on a rack that allows the suspension to hang down you will see some shifting of the axle when you turn the wheels.The axle will shift slightly on the spring shackles.

BRAM    -- 11-24-2009 @ 6:27 PM
  THE SAGINAW SEEMS TO BE THE ANSWER. THANKS "TRJFORD8" AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE IDEAS. ANY OTHERS SEND ALONG WE DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE ABOUT 40 MEMBERS IN OUR CAR CLUB. OUT, BRAM..PS: ONE OF OUR MEMBERS HAS A JUNK YARD SO WE WILL FIND ONE OF THOSE BOXES.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=313