LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Overdrive

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Overdrive

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

acauto
08-19-2020 @ 9:50 AM

Hello Group , I am looking for some opinions for an overdrive unit for a 1941 Station wagon. The rpms seem to be a little high at highway speeds . Any info or parts for sale would be appreciated . Thank You in advance

51504bat
08-19-2020 @ 11:20 AM

Easiest, IMO would be a Mitchill overdrive unit. 1.800.859.2088
Don't know about your specific application but on some vehicles there is a floor clearance issue.
They have a web site but when I copied it to this response it wouldn't open. Don't know why but Mr. Google will assist you.

This message was edited by 51504bat on 8-19-20 @ 11:28 AM

Kens 36
08-19-2020 @ 1:07 PM

https://mitch*lloverdrives.com/ works OK for me.

Ken

OK, this site won't let you post h-e-l-l. Just Google Mitch ell Overdrives (no space) and follow the link.

This message was edited by Kens 36 on 8-19-20 @ 1:09 PM

JayChicago
08-20-2020 @ 6:44 AM

It is quite irritating, that piece of software that overrides the typing every time it sees those four letters together. Those four letters appear together in many innocent English words and names. Would be nice if the hosting service could eliminate that archaic bit of software.

And then when someone actually uses the evil four letter word, would it be so terrible? Would we all be so offended?

TomO
08-20-2020 @ 8:01 AM
Senior

Check your rear end ratio. If you do most of your touring in the flatlands, then a 3.54:1 ratio will reduce your engine rpms. If you drive in hilly country the 3.78:1 would be a better ratio and in mountainous country the 4.11:1 is better.

If you intend to have your car point judged, the overdrive may merit a point deduction. Most judges will accept a Columbia 2 speed axle as a correct option.

Tom

therunwaybehind
08-20-2020 @ 8:44 AM

In today's world you really need an 8 speed. I once helped my boss at Douglas buy a new station wagon he intended to use once a year to climb mountains and go camping. The OEM had developed a low rpm max torque engine. In keeping with the political wisdom they tried to mate it up with a low numeric ratio rear end. I managed to convince him to order an optional rear end with a higher numeric ratio to avoid the "back of the power curve" moments on hills. The increased engine rpm and fuel consumption all year around for years was easily overwhelmed by the sudden increase in gas prices after the 1973 gas crisis. That of course was about 5 years in the future and unpredictable. I also helped my father to overcome a decision to buy a smaller engine in one of his pickup trucks in the 80's. I got him to order a parts version of a higher ratio rear end and have the dealer install it. The next trade-in he bought a largest engine pickup. This might seem I am struggling up a grade to become relevant to your question because now I am going to write that he next specified an overdrive version of automatic with his next trade-in. That choice led to a need to constantly manual lock out the overdrive on downhills while pulling a trailer. And yes, the next trade-in solved that. What did he do next? He bought a motor home. He has been gone now since 2010 but his Ford buys through the years provide a lesson which my uncle had solved in 1956 with a Studebaker with overdrive and hillholder.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-20-2020 @ 10:58 AM
Senior

HI
I was wondering what size tires you have in the rear,
maybe going a size or two bigger in the rear might solve your problem ?
how fast is highway speeds 60 or higher ?
overdrives do not give you any braking when trying to slowing down,
that station wagon is probably the heaviest model made,
I use a 354 gear in the rear on my 37 Cabriolet and it works just fine even in the hills but the car is much lighter,
it is much cheaper, then any overdrives,
I would check which ratio you have in your wagon,and go from there
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

supereal
08-20-2020 @ 2:10 PM
Senior

I installed an OD unit in my '47 convertible years ago. It is a Ryan, but I am not sure they are in business. I live along an interstate and needed to get up to speed to get on the highway. My rear is 3:78, and the unit reduces the engine speed by 1/3 when engaged, so I can run at 70 mph with no loss of power. This ratio requires ending the OD when in town, as it will bog down below 30-40 mph. It came with a lever control, so I use a truck power takeoff cable instead with the knob below the dash. My car is a driver, not for judging. I have won trophies with it at shows. If you are not planning extensive highway travel, an OD may not be essential. Originally I looked for a Columbia axle, but most were in poor condition, or overpriced if they had the intact control items, so the after market units was a better choice for me.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org