Topic: Overdrive

acauto    -- 08-19-2020 @ 9:50 AM
  Hello Group , I am looking for some opinions for an overdrive unit for a 1941 Station wagon. The rpms seem to be a little high at highway speeds . Any info or parts for sale would be appreciated . Thank You in advance

51504bat    -- 08-19-2020 @ 11:20 AM
  Easiest, IMO would be a Mitchill overdrive unit. 1.800.859.2088
Don't know about your specific application but on some vehicles there is a floor clearance issue.
They have a web site but when I copied it to this response it wouldn't open. Don't know why but Mr. Google will assist you.

This message was edited by 51504bat on 8-19-20 @ 11:28 AM

Kens 36    -- 08-19-2020 @ 1:07 PM
  https://mitch*lloverdrives.com/ works OK for me.

Ken

OK, this site won't let you post h-e-l-l. Just Google Mitch ell Overdrives (no space) and follow the link.

This message was edited by Kens 36 on 8-19-20 @ 1:09 PM

JayChicago    -- 08-20-2020 @ 6:44 AM
  It is quite irritating, that piece of software that overrides the typing every time it sees those four letters together. Those four letters appear together in many innocent English words and names. Would be nice if the hosting service could eliminate that archaic bit of software.

And then when someone actually uses the evil four letter word, would it be so terrible? Would we all be so offended?

TomO    -- 08-20-2020 @ 8:01 AM
  Check your rear end ratio. If you do most of your touring in the flatlands, then a 3.54:1 ratio will reduce your engine rpms. If you drive in hilly country the 3.78:1 would be a better ratio and in mountainous country the 4.11:1 is better.

If you intend to have your car point judged, the overdrive may merit a point deduction. Most judges will accept a Columbia 2 speed axle as a correct option.

Tom

therunwaybehind    -- 08-20-2020 @ 8:44 AM
  In today's world you really need an 8 speed. I once helped my boss at Douglas buy a new station wagon he intended to use once a year to climb mountains and go camping. The OEM had developed a low rpm max torque engine. In keeping with the political wisdom they tried to mate it up with a low numeric ratio rear end. I managed to convince him to order an optional rear end with a higher numeric ratio to avoid the "back of the power curve" moments on hills. The increased engine rpm and fuel consumption all year around for years was easily overwhelmed by the sudden increase in gas prices after the 1973 gas crisis. That of course was about 5 years in the future and unpredictable. I also helped my father to overcome a decision to buy a smaller engine in one of his pickup trucks in the 80's. I got him to order a parts version of a higher ratio rear end and have the dealer install it. The next trade-in he bought a largest engine pickup. This might seem I am struggling up a grade to become relevant to your question because now I am going to write that he next specified an overdrive version of automatic with his next trade-in. That choice led to a need to constantly manual lock out the overdrive on downhills while pulling a trailer. And yes, the next trade-in solved that. What did he do next? He bought a motor home. He has been gone now since 2010 but his Ford buys through the years provide a lesson which my uncle had solved in 1956 with a Studebaker with overdrive and hillholder.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-20-2020 @ 10:58 AM
  HI
I was wondering what size tires you have in the rear,
maybe going a size or two bigger in the rear might solve your problem ?
how fast is highway speeds 60 or higher ?
overdrives do not give you any braking when trying to slowing down,
that station wagon is probably the heaviest model made,
I use a 354 gear in the rear on my 37 Cabriolet and it works just fine even in the hills but the car is much lighter,
it is much cheaper, then any overdrives,
I would check which ratio you have in your wagon,and go from there
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

supereal    -- 08-20-2020 @ 2:10 PM
  I installed an OD unit in my '47 convertible years ago. It is a Ryan, but I am not sure they are in business. I live along an interstate and needed to get up to speed to get on the highway. My rear is 3:78, and the unit reduces the engine speed by 1/3 when engaged, so I can run at 70 mph with no loss of power. This ratio requires ending the OD when in town, as it will bog down below 30-40 mph. It came with a lever control, so I use a truck power takeoff cable instead with the knob below the dash. My car is a driver, not for judging. I have won trophies with it at shows. If you are not planning extensive highway travel, an OD may not be essential. Originally I looked for a Columbia axle, but most were in poor condition, or overpriced if they had the intact control items, so the after market units was a better choice for me.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14085