LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1940 Pickup won't start

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 Pickup won't start -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

gcraigstep
05-13-2017 @ 12:13 PM

I inherited my fathers restored 1940 Ford Pickup. I've been unable to get it started after many years of sitting. I have no spark at the plugs. I'm only getting around 1 vdc with no fluctuation of voltage at the coil with the switch on and when trying to start. When I disconnect the coil lead I do have good battery voltage. Is this indicating the points are not opening? Does the distributor need to be removed to set the points or replace them? A little different set up from the 60's cars I've messed with. I rely a lot on You Tube for dyi.....apparently not much out there on distributors for the Flatheads.

MG
05-13-2017 @ 12:25 PM
Senior

You're a lucky guy!....What a beautiful truck that is!

I'm thinking that the distributor needs to be removed and inspected. Cleanup the rotor and points as necessary....

When removing the distributor, cut a piece of cardboard to fit the inside of the radiator to protect its cooling fins while you are working in that tight area....

This message was edited by MG on 5-13-17 @ 12:32 PM

trjford8
05-14-2017 @ 7:53 AM
Senior

My suspicion would be the coil. You should have at least 3-4 volts coming to the coil. Also are you getting fuel to the carb? Very nice pickup! You've inherited one of the most desirable Ford pickups ever built.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 5-14-17 @ 7:54 AM

sarahcecelia
05-14-2017 @ 2:18 PM
Senior

Yes, you have to remove the distributor. If you take one of the caps off and tie it back with string to the radiator hose, you can crank the motor with (the key on of course) and see if the points have spark at the points.. If they don't, you take (3 bolts) out to remove the distributor.Take both caps off first and tie them back with string as aforementioned to get them out of the way,. When you have it out you can check the continuity with an ohm meter at the points( either side) one at time with them closed! (If you don't have continuity, try cleaning them with 400 - 800 "wet or dry" sandpaper, then pass a paper business card through them to remove any dirt left by cleaning them.(These are tricks I learned working as a mechanic in the 60's) Then use the ohm meter again to see if you got any continuity.If you do re-install and see if you have spark at the end of the plug leads.I had never done one either, and with a couple of phone calls, to Skip Haney ( he's got an ad in the booklet from the club)he got me through it, and now it's all easy to me! I had a bad coil. If yours is bad I caution you to only buy one from Skip! Most others out there are "duds!"you can also send your dist. to him to have it rebuilt.When you reinstall the dist., be sure to "key it " to the crank shaft. Look at it; the key is OFFSET and you have to align it with the slot in the crank,or you'll do some damage to the dist., or the crank! I hope this helps you! You can do it!!! Good Luck!!

Regards, Steve Lee

JayChicago
05-15-2017 @ 12:02 AM

I would recommend that you not touch the distributor yet. Its a very unusual piece for someone not familiar with the old Fords. I know, I am new to the flatheads, and that distributor is like nothing I ever saw before. And I think you have already identified your problem as being ahead of the coil & distributor. You measured 1 volt at the input to the coil. As noted by others, it should be around 3 volts. 1 volt input is insufficient for the coil to induce a spark.

This does not indicate points are not opening. You should get 3 volts to the coil with the points closed. It could possibly be due to a shorted coil, but I suspect something wrong upstream of the coil. I would look at the ignition circuit ahead of the coil for something that is producing an unwanted voltage drop. There is a ballast resistor in the ignition circuit that should be producing a 3 volt drop, to give 3 volts at the coil. But the rest of the circuit, switch and wiring, should not be more than a few tenths of a volt.

To make resistance/voltage-drop checks, you need the circuit live, current flowing. So this is done with engine stopped, ignition switch on. But switch-on/engine stopped is hard on the coil and points, so I would keep the switch off until you are ready to take each reading, then turn the switch off again right after.

Check the voltage at "batt" (input) terminal of ignition switch, which should be about .1 volt less than battery voltage. Then with switch on, check the switch's "coil" (output) terminal. There should not be more than .1 volt dropped thru the switch. (On my car I found a full 1 volt drop across a poor copper contact in the switch)

Check voltage in and out of the ballast resistor. The resistor is about 2 inch long wire-wound ceramic, located on the fire wall behind the instrument panel on cars, probably same on trucks. BE CAREFUL not to touch the resistor itself! It gets super hot, will burn your fingers! Input voltage should be same as output terminal on the switch, or maybe .1 volt less due to loss thru wire/connectors. Then check resistor's output voltage, which should be 3.0 to 3.2 volts less than input voltage.

Finally check voltage at the coil, which should be same as output side of resistor, or maybe .1 volt less due to wire/connectors.

Hopefully something will jump out as the cause of the low voltage to the coil.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 5-15-17 @ 10:55 AM

TomO
05-15-2017 @ 6:30 AM
Senior

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have the stock Ford type coil mounted on top of the distributor or a coil mounted elswhere with a high tension lead going to the distributor?

If you are not sure what you have , please post a photo.

You could have a shorted condenser, points or coil.

If you have the stock coil, connect you meter between the condenser contact on the coil and ground. Use the Ohm meter function and turn the engine over with the ignition off.

If the meter shows constant continuity, remove the coil (the upper passenger side bolt of the distributor must be removed in order to remove the coil) and repeat the test by putting your probe on the large copper contact where the coil supplies voltage to the points. This will tell you whether it is the condenser-coil combination or points. Check the condenser with your ohmmeter.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-15-17 @ 6:57 AM

MGG
05-15-2017 @ 7:50 AM

Doesn't the resistor have to be hot in order for you to get an accurate reading of how well it is working? If so, what is the best way to do this, especially if the engine won't start?

gcraigstep
05-15-2017 @ 10:48 AM

Jay

I'm a little confused on your reply. When I have the lead to the Coil disconnected from the Coil the voltage I'm receiving "upstream" is battery 6 volts. Are you saying this should be 3 volts instead?

JayChicago
05-15-2017 @ 12:10 PM

Yes, the resistor in the circuit can easily cause confusion for everyone, including me. A resister only works with current flow. (voltage drop= amps X resistance) With the wire disconnected, the circuit is open, current(amps) is zero, the resister isn't doing anything, but full battery pressure still gets transmitted through the resistor's wire, so you read 6 volts. With the wire connected and current flowing thru the circuit (should be about 5 amps), the resistor goes to work to reduce the voltage by about 3 volts, and you would read the remaining 3 volts at the coil. If you have additional parasite resistance somewhere, its voltage drop too won't be measurable until the circuit is connected and operating.

To MGG's question: The engine does not need to be running. As long as the engine hasn't happened to stop just where the points are open (which does happen), with switch on the ignition circuit is working, current is flowing, the resistor will get hot. The coil and points will be carrying full current too, which is why we have to always remember to turn off the switch when working on a stopped engine.

BTW, TomO is very knowledgeable, is a recognized expert on this forum. He was suggesting looking for a short in one of the components downstream, which could also produce that low voltage reading at the coil terminal. I would trust his recommendations over mine. I have some theoretical knowledge, but little experience with these cars. And nothing beats experience!

This message was edited by JayChicago on 5-15-17 @ 1:40 PM

gcraigstep
05-15-2017 @ 3:44 PM

TomO

I do have the coil mounted on top of the Distributor. Pic Attached. I put my meter on the condenser and there is continuity. My digital meter reads about 5 ohms. When I crank the engine, with ignition off, I'm getting around 18K ohms. Is that indicating a good condenser?

I then pulled the coil from the distributor and connect the meter to the large contact suppling voltage to the points. Initial reading is 23.28m ohms. When I crank the motor I then read around 30.12m ohms.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org