LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / 40 ford 17 grease fittings

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 40 ford 17 grease fittings -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

thunder road
05-21-2017 @ 8:50 AM

So far I have found, and greased 17- " original type " grease fitting on my 1940 deluxe ford coupe. The car is believed to be a 44,500 original car , and all the suspension looks original to the car. It still has the original sheet metal wrap on the front, and rear spring. The car has had one re-paint in 1964. It has the 85 H.P. 24 stud motor. Large "A" on the heads, and you can not balance a no.2 pencil on the block behind the distributor, as per the Benny Bootel guide. Can anyone tell me if their is more than 17 grease fittings? Thanks Dom

Domenic

kubes40
05-21-2017 @ 10:44 AM
Senior

Domenic,
If you can't keep a pencil on the prescribed "edge" then most likely, the engine block is not a 1940 and thus, not authentic to your car. This would certainly not be unusual even if the stated mileage is correct.

Seventeen fittings sounds as if you'd done a thorough search. Very early '4o Fords (VERY early) had fittings at each end of the rear axle housings bringing the total to nineteen. This was carry over from 1939. If your car has them, do NOT grease them. There's a good reason why Ford eliminated them in 1940.
I am assuming you did NOT count the lubrication fittings at both the front and rear spring centers. Those are NOT grease fittings.
Hope this helps.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-21-17 @ 10:45 AM

thunder road
05-21-2017 @ 1:20 PM

I did count the front, and rear center of the transverse spring"s. Their is a special bolt which runs thru the front spring, and has a tall type nut with a grease fitting on the bottom. the rear just seems to have it threaded in the center of the rear spring. I did grease both front and rear spring hope this was alright? Also on the 1940 block, I am going off memory of the Benny Bootle guild that I had many years ago , about correct 1940 ford 85 HP blocks being tapered shaped behind the distributor. I friend told me that I can still buy benny's guild on this sight, I hope I can, as I gave away my old one when I sold my other 40. Dom

Domenic

kubes40
05-21-2017 @ 2:19 PM
Senior

Domenic,
The "grease fittings" on the springs are actually for a liquid type lubrication. Putting grease in there is counter-productive. it (the grease) will dry and will not allow future grease to get where it needs to go. In fact, any grease applied though those fittings is unlikely to get where it was intended.

If you counted in the two fittings on the springs, you've missed two other fittings somewhere.

Your '40 block should have a "shelf" so to speak directly behind the distributor. I have attached a photo that I trust will help in my explanation.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road
05-21-2017 @ 2:36 PM

kubes40 thank you for the help. I did count the two fitting's on the front and rear spring to come up with the 17 total. I did not see any on the outer end of the rear end that you stated were very early 40. I was able to get grease into the rear spring very easily, and it was a modern cam2 type that I used . The front spring was letting the grease out from the top of the tall nut, so I was not able to grease it . My friend told me that I should put a brass washer in between the nut and the spring and this should allow it to be greased . I am very glad to hear about the proper lube and will find some for this . On the block , it is 24 stud, has the cast in bell housing and behind the distributor is slightly beveled then flattens out so you can balance a pencil there. I would love to see a picture showing the differences this would be very helpful, but I cannot seem to find your attached photo? I am not that great on the computer.thank you Dom

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 5-21-17 @ 2:53 PM

kubes40
05-21-2017 @ 3:01 PM
Senior

Arggh!
I suppose when I say I will attach a photo, I should actually do so. Here ya go...

Sorry.

thunder road
05-21-2017 @ 3:45 PM

I just took these pictures

Domenic

thunder road
05-21-2017 @ 3:50 PM

Front of my engine

Domenic

thunder road
05-21-2017 @ 3:52 PM

Front engine without pencil

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 5-21-17 @ 3:53 PM

thunder road
05-21-2017 @ 3:55 PM

No pencil

Domenic

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org