Topic: 40 ford 17 grease fittings

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 8:50 AM
  So far I have found, and greased 17- " original type " grease fitting on my 1940 deluxe ford coupe. The car is believed to be a 44,500 original car , and all the suspension looks original to the car. It still has the original sheet metal wrap on the front, and rear spring. The car has had one re-paint in 1964. It has the 85 H.P. 24 stud motor. Large "A" on the heads, and you can not balance a no.2 pencil on the block behind the distributor, as per the Benny Bootel guide. Can anyone tell me if their is more than 17 grease fittings? Thanks Dom

Domenic

kubes40    -- 05-21-2017 @ 10:44 AM
  Domenic,
If you can't keep a pencil on the prescribed "edge" then most likely, the engine block is not a 1940 and thus, not authentic to your car. This would certainly not be unusual even if the stated mileage is correct.

Seventeen fittings sounds as if you'd done a thorough search. Very early '4o Fords (VERY early) had fittings at each end of the rear axle housings bringing the total to nineteen. This was carry over from 1939. If your car has them, do NOT grease them. There's a good reason why Ford eliminated them in 1940.
I am assuming you did NOT count the lubrication fittings at both the front and rear spring centers. Those are NOT grease fittings.
Hope this helps.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-21-17 @ 10:45 AM

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 1:20 PM
  I did count the front, and rear center of the transverse spring"s. Their is a special bolt which runs thru the front spring, and has a tall type nut with a grease fitting on the bottom. the rear just seems to have it threaded in the center of the rear spring. I did grease both front and rear spring hope this was alright? Also on the 1940 block, I am going off memory of the Benny Bootle guild that I had many years ago , about correct 1940 ford 85 HP blocks being tapered shaped behind the distributor. I friend told me that I can still buy benny's guild on this sight, I hope I can, as I gave away my old one when I sold my other 40. Dom

Domenic

kubes40    -- 05-21-2017 @ 2:19 PM
  Domenic,
The "grease fittings" on the springs are actually for a liquid type lubrication. Putting grease in there is counter-productive. it (the grease) will dry and will not allow future grease to get where it needs to go. In fact, any grease applied though those fittings is unlikely to get where it was intended.

If you counted in the two fittings on the springs, you've missed two other fittings somewhere.

Your '40 block should have a "shelf" so to speak directly behind the distributor. I have attached a photo that I trust will help in my explanation.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 2:36 PM
  kubes40 thank you for the help. I did count the two fitting's on the front and rear spring to come up with the 17 total. I did not see any on the outer end of the rear end that you stated were very early 40. I was able to get grease into the rear spring very easily, and it was a modern cam2 type that I used . The front spring was letting the grease out from the top of the tall nut, so I was not able to grease it . My friend told me that I should put a brass washer in between the nut and the spring and this should allow it to be greased . I am very glad to hear about the proper lube and will find some for this . On the block , it is 24 stud, has the cast in bell housing and behind the distributor is slightly beveled then flattens out so you can balance a pencil there. I would love to see a picture showing the differences this would be very helpful, but I cannot seem to find your attached photo? I am not that great on the computer.thank you Dom

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 5-21-17 @ 2:53 PM

kubes40    -- 05-21-2017 @ 3:01 PM
  Arggh!
I suppose when I say I will attach a photo, I should actually do so. Here ya go...

Sorry.

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 3:45 PM
  I just took these pictures

Domenic

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 3:50 PM
  Front of my engine

Domenic

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 3:52 PM
  Front engine without pencil

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 5-21-17 @ 3:53 PM

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 3:55 PM
  No pencil

Domenic

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 3:57 PM
  The 17 grease fittings I found

Domenic

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 4:00 PM
  Picture of the car (front)

Domenic

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 4:02 PM
  Picture of the car (back)

Domenic

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 4:39 PM
  "Kube" can you please tell me what you think of my pictures of my motor. I was able to balance a no.2 pencil on the block behind the timing cover. Also the drawing shows the 17 places I found to put grease counting the springs .Can you figure out from this rough sketch, what two I missed? Thanks Dom

Domenic

alanwoodieman    -- 05-21-2017 @ 6:00 PM
  yep it is at least a 39 to 41 block, but I have just seen a block with this ledge and a 59 on the bellhousing--anybody else seen one like that? I will take my camera down to shop next time and take some pictures

thunder road    -- 05-21-2017 @ 6:34 PM
  Thank you alanwoodieman for your reply. Now I can sleep better tonight , knowing that the motor falls between 1939 and 1941.When you recently purchase a new old car , it can and will take some time to determine whats what. This 40 coupe still has all it's original saturated felt , heavy tar paper with it's embossing in the rear tail pan tool tray area that's mint. It came with all it's original tools, even an original tire pump that looks NOS with it's wooden handle. It even has the original burlap bag that the tool bag came in, and it's original rubber trunk mat. Thank you, Dom

Domenic

kubes40    -- 05-22-2017 @ 11:33 AM
  Domenic, The photos you've supplied make the engine appear to be of the 1940 run.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road    -- 05-22-2017 @ 2:36 PM
  Kube thanks for the help, and the info on the 40 tail light bezels. Now I don't know if you or Tom, or anyone else can make any sense out of my sketch , and tell me what other two grease fitting's I missed. thank you Dom

Domenic

1940 Tom    -- 05-22-2017 @ 2:59 PM
  Good Afternoon, Domenic----

Don't worry about me.

Kube is "The Man" when it comes to 40 Fords. I have also found that his esteemed cohort, Alanwoodieman, is also a big help. As you will learn, there's a lot of talent out there that you can draw from.

I'm currently helping Mike with some minor information about 40 Sedans for his use in rewriting the 1940 Ford Restoration Manual, so that's how I got to know him. I'm sure that both he, and all the other Club members will continue to share their excellent knowledge on this subject with you, on future e-mails.

Good luck on your project.

Tom

kubes40    -- 05-22-2017 @ 3:02 PM
  1940TOM is being humble. He has helped a LOT with the sedan stuff. I'd be lost without him.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-22-17 @ 3:05 PM

kubes40    -- 05-22-2017 @ 3:12 PM
  Domenic,
How about I try to describe the grease fitting locations to you?

There is one at each tie rod end (total of three).
There is one at the drag link end (total one).
There are two per spindle pin (total four).
There is one at the top and one at the bottom of the shift linkage beneath the hood. (total two).
There is one at the clutch actuating lever (total one).
There is one at the brake pedal pivot bushing (total one).
There is one at the clutch pedal pivot bushing (total one).
There is one at the universal joint cover (total one).
There is one at the center bearing of the torque tube (total one).
There is one at each end of the clutch release shaft (total two).
That's seventeen.

So, tell me, which did you over look?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road    -- 05-22-2017 @ 4:27 PM
  Mike, I missed the universal joint cover, and at the shift linkage under the hood I only seen and greased one. The car has the slide up ash trays, which goes with what you said about the vin. and it being an early car . I still want to see the spot welded wiper motor bracket, and will get more pictures if it stops raining here in Westchester NY . I do like the 60 degrees. After spending some time under this car it makes me so grateful that it is so solid, no rust no patches ever. Like I have said before when I was 21, me, and my friend restored a 1940 deluxe coupe with opera seats. It needed front floors, trunk pan ,and I had to section in a piece of the frame rail that was rotted on the drivers side approx. 4 feet of the upper half of the frame was rotted due to the fact that it had spent many years outside. Fords better idea of mounting the running boards directly to the frame, had caused leaves, and water to get in there sit, and rot the top half of the frame rail. Chevrolet used out rigger's to support the running boards and they did not touch the frame. But "Gregorries" design proves that it's form over function . Chevrolet never made a coupe so beautiful , Domenic

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 5-23-17 @ 4:54 AM

JayChicago    -- 05-31-2017 @ 6:23 PM
  I'm using the list Kube posted above to make sure I don't miss one if the 17 grease fittings. (Mike, thanks for taking the time to write that list.)

One line item on the list is:
"There is one at the top and one at the bottom of the shift linkage beneath the hood. (total two)."

I can only find one fitting on the shift linkage.(see picture below) Need help finding the other. Thanks.

kubes40    -- 06-01-2017 @ 6:33 AM
  Jay, You win the "caught Kube" prize today. I scr*w*d the pooch and you caught me. There is no fitting at the bottom of the column. Y
I apologize. The only one on the column is depicted in the photo.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

JayChicago    -- 06-01-2017 @ 1:53 PM
  Ok, good. Thank you. I appreciate the help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10778