LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Vintage License Plates in VA & PA

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Vintage License Plates in VA & PA -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

Cecil/WV
07-18-2016 @ 6:23 AM

Several years ago, I took a dumpt truck to the local quarry to get some crushed stone. I has YOM plates and we carry the sticker in the glove box. I was not suposed to be hauling anything with these license. On my way home, as I crossed I 81 on the local state rt, I met a deputy sheriff and he turned around and gave pursuit. In WV, vehicles registered as antique do not need an inspection sticker on the windshield. When I pulled over and he came up, he asked me what kind of license was on the truck and I explained how the system worked in WV and he said" why don't they tell us these things". He explained that when he met me he saw there was no inspection sticker on the truck, but since he was tired that he would ignore it and get on his way home, then he looked in the rear view mirror and saw the plates, which were the same color as a dealer plate, he said to himself that there was no way that he would allow a truck to be hauling stone on dealer tags with no inspection sticker. We talked for a few minutes and I was on my way, no problem.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

TomO
07-15-2016 @ 6:51 AM
Senior

On my 40, I have my antique plates set up to slide over the permanently mounted rear yom plate. The antique plate is registered with the Toll Authority. When I am going to be driving on multiple toll roads, I just slip the antique plates over the yom plate and hold it in place with a couple of rubber bands.

Tom

oldford2
07-14-2016 @ 2:32 PM

Transponders are free in Massachusetts. So I have one for each vehicle which includes our 46 and it's YOM plate number. So if my plate # is photographed going thru a toll the YOM plate number is assigned to that transponder. My registration shows the YOM plate. Pretty simple up here in Taxachusetts. Since the police have access to the national RMV site, police stopping me anywhere can check my number and see that it is legal
John

This message was edited by oldford2 on 7-14-16 @ 2:36 PM

len47merc
07-14-2016 @ 12:51 PM
Senior

Thanks trjford8. And Scotty - I thought it a bit odd as well how it works here in NC, but as Walter C. used to say - '...that's the way it is...'. In speaking with the NC DMV and State Police about this when I first put the tag on the car, both organizations cited statistics as the validation for not requiring registration of vintage tags in NC. The statistics being the incidence of traffic violations, driver's license issues, legal problems, vintage auto theft and physical threats with owners and their vintage cars (in NC defined as greater than 35 years old) bearing vintage plates is so, so infinitesimally low that the data does not support registering the tags. At traffic/license check stops, of which I've been through only one locally with the '47, the officer looked at the tag but never questioned it, walked back to the window and asked to see the '...tag under the front seat...' and registration card which I gave him and I was on my way.

Glad also we don't have to support the State Treasury here with fees to register vintage tags. EDIT - not sure that it's CA being cautious versus simply generating more revenue.

Additionally, with one of the only visual recognition toll roads in the state within 5 miles of here, the responsible Transit Authority responded to questions about how this car, which is legally registered and tagged here in NC, could legally drive on the toll road if needed and the answer was '...if the tag is not registered or cannot be recognized, no further action is taken...'. The rest was left for me to read between the lines. And it works as the TA representative said it would.

Having previously read concerns on the forum about this issue with other states drove the quest and effort to have documentation ready if needed.

And that's the way it is...

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-14-16 @ 12:57 PM

40V8Ranger
07-14-2016 @ 10:43 AM

Good response Trjford8. This is aside the point but Im surprised NC allows any unregistered plate on a vehicle, vintage or not. As an officer, you have no idea who you are stopping, if the veh descrip matches, there are warrants etc. I guess were extra cautious in good ol Cal.

Scotty

JM
07-14-2016 @ 9:40 AM
Senior

I have not read all the replies on this thread but I can relate to my experiences using YOM tags registered here in Maryland, and traveling through many of the lower 48 states in the USA. I carry my EZ Pass module in my '35 sedan whenever I go on trips/tours. Last month I traveled through MD, PA, WV, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma while traveling to and from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I don't have my '35 YOM tags registered with EZ Pass, but they are registered with the state of Maryland, and I have never had any problems going through any EZ Pass toll booths in any of the States that accept EZ Pass. The toll charges always show up as being paid on our end of the month billing statements.

PS .... even though my YOM tags are registered with the MD MVA, I was also issued a set of regular MD tags. These regular tags and my registration for both sets of tags must be carried in my car at all times.

John

This message was edited by JM on 7-14-16 @ 10:00 AM

trjford8
07-14-2016 @ 7:27 AM
Senior

Steve, good job on your research. Just a word of caution, not all states will recognize the laws from other states. Everyone needs to make sure that they can produce evidence of "current" registration and a current insurance certificate if stopped for any reason. Here's an example of what can happen; A Ford V-8 gets stolen and the info goes out to the police. The stolen car description happens to fit your car. The officer sees your car and runs the North Carolina plate and it comes back "no record on file". It's guaranteed you will get stopped as thieves usually change license plates. You will definitely get a "lot of attention" from the police when being stopped. This is why it's imperative that you have all the paper work in order.

len47merc
07-13-2016 @ 2:18 PM
Senior

FYI - for those that may want to have it on hand 'just in case', Pennsylvania's applicable statute is 'Title 75 Section 1303'.

Steve

len47merc
07-13-2016 @ 7:31 AM
Senior

Ok - here's the answer(s). As long as your vehicle is legal in the state in which the vehicle is registered VA & PA DMV/State Police/Troopers will honor that state's laws, rules and regulations if you are stopped for any reason. In order to validate that you are truly legal, owners of vintage cars displaying vintage plates in compliance with their state's laws should keep a copy of the specific state statute with the registration card that defines the rules and regulations for that state, and produce this as 'evidence' in the event someone does give you a hard time. NC's Statue covering this is § 20-63 - specifically section d) - in case anyone is coming from here and needs the info.

Regarding automated license tag recognition toll roads (and only these types of toll roads) the individuals I spoke with both stated '...good question...'. While no endorsement could be given, the bottom line is if the system cannot recognize the tag in any system it is kicked out as unrecognizable and no further action is taken. Sounds like, consistent with Cecil/WV's comments for VA the only toll road even remotely in the area is the Dulles Greenway which has change booths as well so basically a non-issue for me on this point.

Steve

trjford8
07-13-2016 @ 7:26 AM
Senior

From the perspective of an old retired cop I would do the following; when traveling into unknown territory where the laws are different, put your currently registered plate on the car. I suspect toll roads are patrolled by state police and if you pass through a toll booth without paying you could be stopped and cited if you are caught. The other factor is if you are stopped and not displaying the currently registered license plate on your car, that could also be a violation in the state in which you are driving. Laws vary from state to state so in your best interest use the currently registered plate.

Out here in California the YOM plates are registered to the car and they have tabs that show the plates are currently registered. We pay extra for the privilege of having a YOM plate. California never misses an opportunity to hit up it's citizens for extra money.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org