Topic: Vintage License Plates in VA & PA

len47merc    -- 07-12-2016 @ 2:37 PM
  Here in NC it is legal - actually a bit more than subtly encouraged by the DMV - for vintage/classic car owners to display period correct license plates consistent with the year of the car in the rear license plate holder, and keep the actual registered plate under the front seat to be produced if requested. The vintage plate is not registered or recorded against the vehicle. NC does not require license plates on the front of vehicles.

This said, does anyone know what the respective DMVs allow in VA & PA in this regard? And how do these states look at this from automated visual recognition toll road perspectives?

Steve

JTHOMPSON    -- 07-12-2016 @ 7:53 PM
  PA has allowed vintage plates for about 4 years now. Not sure how the automated visual recognition toll road works though. I'd guess that it would be ok as you'd be registering the vintage plate with the state.

42wagon    -- 07-13-2016 @ 3:35 AM
  In Connecticut it is legal to run with Year of Manufacture license plates displayed provided the real registered ones are in the car for examination by an officer if required. The vehicles I drive everyday (not antiques) have EZ Pass units mounted on the windshield. Not sure what we did when we got the EZ Pass but I believe we probably gave them the license plate number that appears on the vehicle. That is what is read by the automated visual recognition unit. So if I were to mount an EZ Pass unit on my antique car I would probably have to give EZ Pass my Year of Manufacture number as that is what appears on the car.

Don't know how EZ Pass works with a vehicle without a front license plate.

len47merc    -- 07-13-2016 @ 4:45 AM
  Here in NC you are not required to register vintage plates, thus whether I bring my EZ Pass transponder or not if I happen to drive on a visual recognition toll road no system will be able to recognize the vehicle as the plate is not in the NC or any other DMV system, or is it registered with the transponder. I have no intent, on the drive to and from Gettysburg, to touch anything other than 2-lane non-toll state highways but in the unlikely event I am forced to drive on one I'd like to be informed of what the deal may be with the unregistered '47 plate on the car.

Suspect unless you give cause to be stopped that regardless of the idiosyncrasies of the individual state rules, regulations and laws, most all authorities will likely turn a blind eye and not say anything or stop you other than possibly to request a selfie with your car. This being the first time driving out of state with the car identified/labeled 'as is' here in NC I do not want to assume anything, particularly given how rural the planned route is.

Steve

Cecil/WV    -- 07-13-2016 @ 5:16 AM
  Here in WV the YOM plate is on the rear only and no tag on the front, a sticker showing expiration is carried in the glove box. I have 6 vehicles registered with Pa EZPass and move my transponder as needed. I don't know where you are in NC, but I can't think of any toll road you would encounter between NC and Gettysburg.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

len47merc    -- 07-13-2016 @ 6:30 AM
  I'll definitely drive on a short stretch of a toll road here in NC. Other than that it'll be a surprise if I encounter one - just want to be informed in the event I am forced, for whatever reason, to drive on a toll road.

I'll check with PA & VA DMV on the vintage tag issue in general & report back.

Steve

Big Red 51    -- 07-13-2016 @ 6:35 AM
  Every car that uses EZ Pass must have the rear plate registered with EZ Pass or you will get a $50 admin fine plus the toll from EP for every toll you sail thru plus a picture of the car anywhere in the system. Several in our club have had that experience. Doesn't matter what's on the front in NJ.

len47merc    -- 07-13-2016 @ 6:44 AM
  Big Red 51 - that's exactly the point I am making. I'll ask it another way - how can you receive a $50 fine if the plate is not registered anywhere in any system? Here in NC vintage plates are not registered against the car or the driver, hence if you drive a vintage car with vintage NC plates on a NC toll road the system cannot, and will not, recognize the plate and no toll will be or can be assessed. Yes - the car is more than properly insured and the current registered plate is carried, by NC law, under the driver's seat. So if I drive my car with its unregistered vintage NC plate on a toll road in any other state other than NC just how is that handled?

Apparently NC may be unique in this regard.

Steve

trjford8    -- 07-13-2016 @ 7:26 AM
  From the perspective of an old retired cop I would do the following; when traveling into unknown territory where the laws are different, put your currently registered plate on the car. I suspect toll roads are patrolled by state police and if you pass through a toll booth without paying you could be stopped and cited if you are caught. The other factor is if you are stopped and not displaying the currently registered license plate on your car, that could also be a violation in the state in which you are driving. Laws vary from state to state so in your best interest use the currently registered plate.

Out here in California the YOM plates are registered to the car and they have tabs that show the plates are currently registered. We pay extra for the privilege of having a YOM plate. California never misses an opportunity to hit up it's citizens for extra money.

len47merc    -- 07-13-2016 @ 7:31 AM
  Ok - here's the answer(s). As long as your vehicle is legal in the state in which the vehicle is registered VA & PA DMV/State Police/Troopers will honor that state's laws, rules and regulations if you are stopped for any reason. In order to validate that you are truly legal, owners of vintage cars displaying vintage plates in compliance with their state's laws should keep a copy of the specific state statute with the registration card that defines the rules and regulations for that state, and produce this as 'evidence' in the event someone does give you a hard time. NC's Statue covering this is ยง 20-63 - specifically section d) - in case anyone is coming from here and needs the info.

Regarding automated license tag recognition toll roads (and only these types of toll roads) the individuals I spoke with both stated '...good question...'. While no endorsement could be given, the bottom line is if the system cannot recognize the tag in any system it is kicked out as unrecognizable and no further action is taken. Sounds like, consistent with Cecil/WV's comments for VA the only toll road even remotely in the area is the Dulles Greenway which has change booths as well so basically a non-issue for me on this point.

Steve

len47merc    -- 07-13-2016 @ 2:18 PM
  FYI - for those that may want to have it on hand 'just in case', Pennsylvania's applicable statute is 'Title 75 Section 1303'.

Steve

trjford8    -- 07-14-2016 @ 7:27 AM
  Steve, good job on your research. Just a word of caution, not all states will recognize the laws from other states. Everyone needs to make sure that they can produce evidence of "current" registration and a current insurance certificate if stopped for any reason. Here's an example of what can happen; A Ford V-8 gets stolen and the info goes out to the police. The stolen car description happens to fit your car. The officer sees your car and runs the North Carolina plate and it comes back "no record on file". It's guaranteed you will get stopped as thieves usually change license plates. You will definitely get a "lot of attention" from the police when being stopped. This is why it's imperative that you have all the paper work in order.

JM    -- 07-14-2016 @ 9:40 AM
  I have not read all the replies on this thread but I can relate to my experiences using YOM tags registered here in Maryland, and traveling through many of the lower 48 states in the USA. I carry my EZ Pass module in my '35 sedan whenever I go on trips/tours. Last month I traveled through MD, PA, WV, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma while traveling to and from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I don't have my '35 YOM tags registered with EZ Pass, but they are registered with the state of Maryland, and I have never had any problems going through any EZ Pass toll booths in any of the States that accept EZ Pass. The toll charges always show up as being paid on our end of the month billing statements.

PS .... even though my YOM tags are registered with the MD MVA, I was also issued a set of regular MD tags. These regular tags and my registration for both sets of tags must be carried in my car at all times.

John

This message was edited by JM on 7-14-16 @ 10:00 AM

40V8Ranger    -- 07-14-2016 @ 10:43 AM
  Good response Trjford8. This is aside the point but Im surprised NC allows any unregistered plate on a vehicle, vintage or not. As an officer, you have no idea who you are stopping, if the veh descrip matches, there are warrants etc. I guess were extra cautious in good ol Cal.

Scotty

len47merc    -- 07-14-2016 @ 12:51 PM
  Thanks trjford8. And Scotty - I thought it a bit odd as well how it works here in NC, but as Walter C. used to say - '...that's the way it is...'. In speaking with the NC DMV and State Police about this when I first put the tag on the car, both organizations cited statistics as the validation for not requiring registration of vintage tags in NC. The statistics being the incidence of traffic violations, driver's license issues, legal problems, vintage auto theft and physical threats with owners and their vintage cars (in NC defined as greater than 35 years old) bearing vintage plates is so, so infinitesimally low that the data does not support registering the tags. At traffic/license check stops, of which I've been through only one locally with the '47, the officer looked at the tag but never questioned it, walked back to the window and asked to see the '...tag under the front seat...' and registration card which I gave him and I was on my way.

Glad also we don't have to support the State Treasury here with fees to register vintage tags. EDIT - not sure that it's CA being cautious versus simply generating more revenue.

Additionally, with one of the only visual recognition toll roads in the state within 5 miles of here, the responsible Transit Authority responded to questions about how this car, which is legally registered and tagged here in NC, could legally drive on the toll road if needed and the answer was '...if the tag is not registered or cannot be recognized, no further action is taken...'. The rest was left for me to read between the lines. And it works as the TA representative said it would.

Having previously read concerns on the forum about this issue with other states drove the quest and effort to have documentation ready if needed.

And that's the way it is...

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-14-16 @ 12:57 PM

oldford2    -- 07-14-2016 @ 2:32 PM
  Transponders are free in Massachusetts. So I have one for each vehicle which includes our 46 and it's YOM plate number. So if my plate # is photographed going thru a toll the YOM plate number is assigned to that transponder. My registration shows the YOM plate. Pretty simple up here in Taxachusetts. Since the police have access to the national RMV site, police stopping me anywhere can check my number and see that it is legal
John

This message was edited by oldford2 on 7-14-16 @ 2:36 PM

TomO    -- 07-15-2016 @ 6:51 AM
  On my 40, I have my antique plates set up to slide over the permanently mounted rear yom plate. The antique plate is registered with the Toll Authority. When I am going to be driving on multiple toll roads, I just slip the antique plates over the yom plate and hold it in place with a couple of rubber bands.

Tom

Cecil/WV    -- 07-18-2016 @ 6:23 AM
  Several years ago, I took a dumpt truck to the local quarry to get some crushed stone. I has YOM plates and we carry the sticker in the glove box. I was not suposed to be hauling anything with these license. On my way home, as I crossed I 81 on the local state rt, I met a deputy sheriff and he turned around and gave pursuit. In WV, vehicles registered as antique do not need an inspection sticker on the windshield. When I pulled over and he came up, he asked me what kind of license was on the truck and I explained how the system worked in WV and he said" why don't they tell us these things". He explained that when he met me he saw there was no inspection sticker on the truck, but since he was tired that he would ignore it and get on his way home, then he looked in the rear view mirror and saw the plates, which were the same color as a dealer plate, he said to himself that there was no way that he would allow a truck to be hauling stone on dealer tags with no inspection sticker. We talked for a few minutes and I was on my way, no problem.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9873