LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Vintage License Plates in VA & PA

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Vintage License Plates in VA & PA -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

len47merc
07-12-2016 @ 2:37 PM
Senior

Here in NC it is legal - actually a bit more than subtly encouraged by the DMV - for vintage/classic car owners to display period correct license plates consistent with the year of the car in the rear license plate holder, and keep the actual registered plate under the front seat to be produced if requested. The vintage plate is not registered or recorded against the vehicle. NC does not require license plates on the front of vehicles.

This said, does anyone know what the respective DMVs allow in VA & PA in this regard? And how do these states look at this from automated visual recognition toll road perspectives?

Steve

JTHOMPSON
07-12-2016 @ 7:53 PM

PA has allowed vintage plates for about 4 years now. Not sure how the automated visual recognition toll road works though. I'd guess that it would be ok as you'd be registering the vintage plate with the state.

42wagon
07-13-2016 @ 3:35 AM
Senior

In Connecticut it is legal to run with Year of Manufacture license plates displayed provided the real registered ones are in the car for examination by an officer if required. The vehicles I drive everyday (not antiques) have EZ Pass units mounted on the windshield. Not sure what we did when we got the EZ Pass but I believe we probably gave them the license plate number that appears on the vehicle. That is what is read by the automated visual recognition unit. So if I were to mount an EZ Pass unit on my antique car I would probably have to give EZ Pass my Year of Manufacture number as that is what appears on the car.

Don't know how EZ Pass works with a vehicle without a front license plate.

len47merc
07-13-2016 @ 4:45 AM
Senior

Here in NC you are not required to register vintage plates, thus whether I bring my EZ Pass transponder or not if I happen to drive on a visual recognition toll road no system will be able to recognize the vehicle as the plate is not in the NC or any other DMV system, or is it registered with the transponder. I have no intent, on the drive to and from Gettysburg, to touch anything other than 2-lane non-toll state highways but in the unlikely event I am forced to drive on one I'd like to be informed of what the deal may be with the unregistered '47 plate on the car.

Suspect unless you give cause to be stopped that regardless of the idiosyncrasies of the individual state rules, regulations and laws, most all authorities will likely turn a blind eye and not say anything or stop you other than possibly to request a selfie with your car. This being the first time driving out of state with the car identified/labeled 'as is' here in NC I do not want to assume anything, particularly given how rural the planned route is.

Steve

Cecil/WV
07-13-2016 @ 5:16 AM

Here in WV the YOM plate is on the rear only and no tag on the front, a sticker showing expiration is carried in the glove box. I have 6 vehicles registered with Pa EZPass and move my transponder as needed. I don't know where you are in NC, but I can't think of any toll road you would encounter between NC and Gettysburg.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

len47merc
07-13-2016 @ 6:30 AM
Senior

I'll definitely drive on a short stretch of a toll road here in NC. Other than that it'll be a surprise if I encounter one - just want to be informed in the event I am forced, for whatever reason, to drive on a toll road.

I'll check with PA & VA DMV on the vintage tag issue in general & report back.

Steve

Big Red 51
07-13-2016 @ 6:35 AM

Every car that uses EZ Pass must have the rear plate registered with EZ Pass or you will get a $50 admin fine plus the toll from EP for every toll you sail thru plus a picture of the car anywhere in the system. Several in our club have had that experience. Doesn't matter what's on the front in NJ.

len47merc
07-13-2016 @ 6:44 AM
Senior

Big Red 51 - that's exactly the point I am making. I'll ask it another way - how can you receive a $50 fine if the plate is not registered anywhere in any system? Here in NC vintage plates are not registered against the car or the driver, hence if you drive a vintage car with vintage NC plates on a NC toll road the system cannot, and will not, recognize the plate and no toll will be or can be assessed. Yes - the car is more than properly insured and the current registered plate is carried, by NC law, under the driver's seat. So if I drive my car with its unregistered vintage NC plate on a toll road in any other state other than NC just how is that handled?

Apparently NC may be unique in this regard.

Steve

trjford8
07-13-2016 @ 7:26 AM
Senior

From the perspective of an old retired cop I would do the following; when traveling into unknown territory where the laws are different, put your currently registered plate on the car. I suspect toll roads are patrolled by state police and if you pass through a toll booth without paying you could be stopped and cited if you are caught. The other factor is if you are stopped and not displaying the currently registered license plate on your car, that could also be a violation in the state in which you are driving. Laws vary from state to state so in your best interest use the currently registered plate.

Out here in California the YOM plates are registered to the car and they have tabs that show the plates are currently registered. We pay extra for the privilege of having a YOM plate. California never misses an opportunity to hit up it's citizens for extra money.

len47merc
07-13-2016 @ 7:31 AM
Senior

Ok - here's the answer(s). As long as your vehicle is legal in the state in which the vehicle is registered VA & PA DMV/State Police/Troopers will honor that state's laws, rules and regulations if you are stopped for any reason. In order to validate that you are truly legal, owners of vintage cars displaying vintage plates in compliance with their state's laws should keep a copy of the specific state statute with the registration card that defines the rules and regulations for that state, and produce this as 'evidence' in the event someone does give you a hard time. NC's Statue covering this is § 20-63 - specifically section d) - in case anyone is coming from here and needs the info.

Regarding automated license tag recognition toll roads (and only these types of toll roads) the individuals I spoke with both stated '...good question...'. While no endorsement could be given, the bottom line is if the system cannot recognize the tag in any system it is kicked out as unrecognizable and no further action is taken. Sounds like, consistent with Cecil/WV's comments for VA the only toll road even remotely in the area is the Dulles Greenway which has change booths as well so basically a non-issue for me on this point.

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org