LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Sun Machines, Stroboscopes, & KR Wilson Fixtures?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Sun Machines, Stroboscopes, & KR Wilson Fixtures? -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

RAK402
06-23-2016 @ 6:58 PM

Which is best? How difficult are these to acquire? What are their approximate values in working condition?

Thank you all in advance.

TomO
06-24-2016 @ 7:34 AM
Senior

There are many different Sun machines. Which is best depends upon what you want to do and the year of your car.

The Sun distributor tester and other makes of distributor testers are much more accurate in the hands of an experienced operator than the KR Wilson timing fixtures. They are also much more expensive and harder to find in good condition.

IMHO If you are just wanting to maintain your car, it is much more cost effective to send your distributor away. Maintaining a distributor tester is difficult. Some of them are battery operated, some of have mercury batteries that are no longer available and the controls are subject to corrosion if not used on a regular basis. All of these conditions make the tester unreliable.

For trouble shooting purposes, you can use a tach dwell meter and a powered timing light along with a vacuum gauge.

Tom

RAK402
06-24-2016 @ 10:19 AM

TomO,

Thank you for the very rapid response, sir!

I am still interested in obtaining one of the aforementioned machines. Very few seem to come up for sale so far (I have only been looking for a couple of weeks, so more may appear, over time).

I was using the 1940 Ford as a daily driver 15 years ago, and put a lot of miles on it. My regular distributor person was very reasonable, but he has since moved away. I was fascinated by his machine (which I think was a Sun), but cannot remember. What I am seeing at present is that distributor work appears to be done on an exchange basis and is quite expensive (at least relative to what it was in the past).

I would like to learn to do it myself, as much because I am interested in learning how to do it, as due to the expense.

DD931
06-25-2016 @ 12:11 PM

There are two brands to look for - Sun and Allen. They come up on eBay from time to time. Be ready to pay!!!

supereal
07-01-2016 @ 5:34 AM
Senior

We have a Sun machine I bought at a car show years ago for $25. It required some repair, and we found a source in Kentucky. The advantage of this machine is the strobe feature to show if there is any point bounce or if the shaft and bushings are in good condition. The vacuum pump is nice to have, but not critical, as the snubber is usually backed clear off, anyway. If buying a machine, be sure the adapter for the Ford flathead distributor is included. We had to buy one, and paid more than the machine itself. The KRW fixture will help set the point gaps, put little else. The Sun machine is now being reproduced, but is very expensive.

1935fordtn
07-03-2016 @ 4:13 PM

I have been using my Sun Machine nearly every day for distributor rebuilds the last couple of months.. If you buy one that doesn't work, be prepared to spend some serious $$. You can buy a restored rebuilt ready to go one from MArk Suanders at Paramount. They are expensive. BTW if you plan to do Early V8 distributors you will also need a Tasco, or KRW, etc. fixture to set your initial timing with. The flathead 1932-48 adapter for the Sun Machine is harder to find than the machine itself. If I can help in any way email me at driskellracing@gmail.com

RAK402
07-03-2016 @ 9:29 PM

Gentlemen, Thank you for the responses.

I have an early (wooden box) KR Wilson V-126 timing fixture on the way. From what I have been able to tell, through research, the earlier ones did not have a dwell scale. I am wondering how much of a disadvantage this will be. I have a line on a second one that is the later model (quite a bit pricier).

I appreciate the advice about the expense of the Sun machines as well as that of making sure that they have the correct adapter.

The hunt is on!

Any other information would be greatly appreciated-especially from those who have used the KR Wilson fixture (I have read the Ford Service Bulletin instructions, but there must be a great deal more to it than that).

Thank you all again!

1935fordtn
07-03-2016 @ 11:28 PM

If you have a Sun Machine, you will not need the dwell scale on the KRW fixture. While the KRW fixtures are great, they are unable to check things such as what RPM's the advance kicks in, or what RPM's the points start bouncing. I personally use a Tasco fixture but have a KRW as well in case the Tasco breaks.

In my opinion forget the dwell on the fixture and set it on a machine with the distributor running. Just tonight I was building a 11A distributor. Set it up on the fixture perfectly. Moved it over to the Sun Machine and notice the points (NOS) were floating at 2280 rpm's, without a strobing machine one would have never known until it was on a car.

Many will say the Allen Synchrograph is the best dizzy machine I personally would rather have a Sun as parts are slightly more available. The other good alternative is a original Heyer Machine used by Ford dealers.

When you get bored check out this website..... http://paramountd.com/

RAK402
07-06-2016 @ 10:38 PM

935fordtn,

I checked that website-very, very interesting. Thank you for posting the link.

A restored machine does go for BIG bucks!

My KR Wilson fixture is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have ordered the manual for it.

If you or anyone else who has used a KR Wilson fixture, I would greatly appreciate any incite with regard to how to use it. I have a good used distributor to use to get some kind of idea of what a good one should look like, but I would really like to get some practical info from someone who has used one.

TomO
07-07-2016 @ 7:13 AM
Senior

The KRW fixture just sets the timing of the contact points. It can set the make and break times accurately and the dwell would be within specs. It will not tell you if the points are bouncing or if the cam or bushings are worn. These can be checked with a dwell meter on the car.

The key to setting up a 23-48 distributor is experience and carful operation of the test equipment.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org