LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1941 Sedan Coupe Motor Mounts

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1941 Sedan Coupe Motor Mounts -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Dads41SuperD
06-15-2014 @ 10:14 AM

I need some help determining how to install new motor mounts. I think the current mounts might be original. I am getting some vibration in the engine at higher rpm, so I thought (based on input from other discussion) it might be the motor mounts. It's probably time to replace them. It looks like it's time to replace the axle bumper at the same time (Photo #2).

Attached is a photo of the mounts installed and the new mount I have purchased. I assume that the part shown above the red line in the attachment is above the frame. The part below the frame does not make sense to me.

What am I missing and thanks for your help. (see photo #1 below)

This message was edited by Dads41SuperD on 6-15-14 @ 10:16 AM

Dads41SuperD
06-15-2014 @ 10:15 AM

Motor Mount - Above Frame

kubes40
06-15-2014 @ 2:32 PM
Senior

You most certainly need new mounts. I'd suggest you remove the nuts from both. With a drift, knock the bolt out. You may have to reuse the bolts as often the new ones are not long enough.
Jack up the engine enough to gain clearance in order to remove the biscuit between each pump and frame. Slip the new ones along with the large flat washer in place, lower the engine and install the bottom half of each mount along with the bolt and appropriate nut.
Your axle bumpers appear to be "shot" as well. Those are simply held on to the frame with a bolt and nut.
It appears your front spring has lost its useful life and is drooping badly. This will not only effect the ride but also the handling characteristics.

Dads41SuperD
06-16-2014 @ 11:33 AM

kubes40 - thanks for the reply. I'll take the old mount off and have a look. Regarding the springs, do you have a source for new springs or know if mine can be re-sprung?

kubes40
06-16-2014 @ 4:13 PM
Senior

I am not a fan of re-arcing springs. They simply do not hold the set for too long. Once the steel is stressed, it's stressed. No amount of bending can install the original characteristics of fresh spring steel.
That being said,I always advise folks to seek new springs or at the very least a new main leaf. You might try Carpenter. You'll need to speak with someone in the NOS parts dept.
You might also try Little Dearborn.
One note of "caution": 1941 was kind of unique in regard to the springs. Lots of changes in design followed both during 1941 and the subsequent years.
Be certain to measure the diameter of the perch "eye". Although not 100% necessary to match what you have, you will find it easier if you are able.
Also, attempt to match the number of leaves. Again, it's simply easier for you if possible to match what you have.

Dads41SuperD
06-16-2014 @ 4:46 PM

Good information - thanks for your help.

40 Coupe
06-17-2014 @ 4:16 AM
Senior

On the top of your old rubber motor mount is a large washer(imbedded in the rubber), reuse it in the same location. If under the existing nut is a lock washer, replace it with a flat washer. Use the new slotted hex nut for the bolt attachment if you use the old or new bolt make the nut tight and finish it off with a cotter key.
I believe the axle bumper you show is an original. The metal cup the bumper sits on is original and can be cleaned up and reused. The cup is not reproduced.

Dads41SuperD
06-17-2014 @ 11:16 AM

That makes more sense. It looked like I was missing some parts. I'll take some pics during the replacement and post them.

42wagon
06-18-2014 @ 3:35 AM
Senior

By your title it seems to indicate that your car is a super deluxe. If so the original front spring had a metal spring cover, so the spring you have may be a replacement. Your front spring should have 12 leaves in it.

When I needed a new rear spring for my 42 station wagon I went to a company called Eaton Spring in Michigan. They have the original Ford specs and were able to make me a spring. The cost was reasonable including the shipping to CT although I don't think the UPS guy was too happy when he had to carry it off the truck.

Dads41SuperD
06-24-2014 @ 9:25 AM

42wagon - I will call Eaton Spring. I was able to count 12 springs and my car is a Super Deluxe. The springs do look like thinner than I would expect. Can you describe the metal cover or point me to a picture?

Thanks for you input

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org