Topic: 1941 Sedan Coupe Motor Mounts

Dads41SuperD    -- 06-15-2014 @ 10:14 AM
  I need some help determining how to install new motor mounts. I think the current mounts might be original. I am getting some vibration in the engine at higher rpm, so I thought (based on input from other discussion) it might be the motor mounts. It's probably time to replace them. It looks like it's time to replace the axle bumper at the same time (Photo #2).

Attached is a photo of the mounts installed and the new mount I have purchased. I assume that the part shown above the red line in the attachment is above the frame. The part below the frame does not make sense to me.

What am I missing and thanks for your help. (see photo #1 below)

This message was edited by Dads41SuperD on 6-15-14 @ 10:16 AM

Dads41SuperD    -- 06-15-2014 @ 10:15 AM
  Motor Mount - Above Frame

kubes40    -- 06-15-2014 @ 2:32 PM
  You most certainly need new mounts. I'd suggest you remove the nuts from both. With a drift, knock the bolt out. You may have to reuse the bolts as often the new ones are not long enough.
Jack up the engine enough to gain clearance in order to remove the biscuit between each pump and frame. Slip the new ones along with the large flat washer in place, lower the engine and install the bottom half of each mount along with the bolt and appropriate nut.
Your axle bumpers appear to be "shot" as well. Those are simply held on to the frame with a bolt and nut.
It appears your front spring has lost its useful life and is drooping badly. This will not only effect the ride but also the handling characteristics.

Dads41SuperD    -- 06-16-2014 @ 11:33 AM
  kubes40 - thanks for the reply. I'll take the old mount off and have a look. Regarding the springs, do you have a source for new springs or know if mine can be re-sprung?

kubes40    -- 06-16-2014 @ 4:13 PM
  I am not a fan of re-arcing springs. They simply do not hold the set for too long. Once the steel is stressed, it's stressed. No amount of bending can install the original characteristics of fresh spring steel.
That being said,I always advise folks to seek new springs or at the very least a new main leaf. You might try Carpenter. You'll need to speak with someone in the NOS parts dept.
You might also try Little Dearborn.
One note of "caution": 1941 was kind of unique in regard to the springs. Lots of changes in design followed both during 1941 and the subsequent years.
Be certain to measure the diameter of the perch "eye". Although not 100% necessary to match what you have, you will find it easier if you are able.
Also, attempt to match the number of leaves. Again, it's simply easier for you if possible to match what you have.

Dads41SuperD    -- 06-16-2014 @ 4:46 PM
  Good information - thanks for your help.

40 Coupe    -- 06-17-2014 @ 4:16 AM
  On the top of your old rubber motor mount is a large washer(imbedded in the rubber), reuse it in the same location. If under the existing nut is a lock washer, replace it with a flat washer. Use the new slotted hex nut for the bolt attachment if you use the old or new bolt make the nut tight and finish it off with a cotter key.
I believe the axle bumper you show is an original. The metal cup the bumper sits on is original and can be cleaned up and reused. The cup is not reproduced.

Dads41SuperD    -- 06-17-2014 @ 11:16 AM
  That makes more sense. It looked like I was missing some parts. I'll take some pics during the replacement and post them.

42wagon    -- 06-18-2014 @ 3:35 AM
  By your title it seems to indicate that your car is a super deluxe. If so the original front spring had a metal spring cover, so the spring you have may be a replacement. Your front spring should have 12 leaves in it.

When I needed a new rear spring for my 42 station wagon I went to a company called Eaton Spring in Michigan. They have the original Ford specs and were able to make me a spring. The cost was reasonable including the shipping to CT although I don't think the UPS guy was too happy when he had to carry it off the truck.

Dads41SuperD    -- 06-24-2014 @ 9:25 AM
  42wagon - I will call Eaton Spring. I was able to count 12 springs and my car is a Super Deluxe. The springs do look like thinner than I would expect. Can you describe the metal cover or point me to a picture?

Thanks for you input

joe b    -- 06-24-2014 @ 3:36 PM

I also used Eaton Spring for my 1941. Good to deal with and delivery was 4 days after the order.
sales@eatonsprings.com
Eaton Detroit Spring
1555 Michigan Ave. Detroit Mi. 48216 313 963 3839

42wagon    -- 06-25-2014 @ 3:34 AM
  If you have the 41-48 Ford book on page 4-18 are several picture of springs with covers on them. Not terribly good but the best I can come up with.

The cover is some sort of shiny sheet metal that was made in sections and crimped over the spring. Don't know of anyone reproducing them and they probably would be difficult to install without the proper tools.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7425