LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Best left front wheel cylinder ?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Best left front wheel cylinder ? -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Grant
01-03-2014 @ 6:17 AM
Senior

Our '36 has been converted to hydraulic brakes using 1939 parts.

Front brake shoes were installed in June, but now the left front wheel cylinder is leaking. The backing plate as well as the rear sidewall of the tire are wet.

Which supplier would be best to deal with? I would like to purchase the highest quality product available for this application.

Should the right front wheel cylinder be replaced at the same time? Or would it be better to leave well enough alone, since that side is dry and not leaking?

TomO
01-03-2014 @ 9:41 AM
Senior

C&G Ford parts is a good supplier, but you may not need a new wheel cylinder, just a kit.

If you put in new cylinders when you installed the brakes, the wheel cylinder casting should be fine. Dis assemble the cylinder and look for pits or score marks. If there are none, order a repair kit and hone the cylinder to get a nice crosshatch pattern, lubricate the bore and the rubber parts with brake fluid and reassemble the cylinder. Put the drum back on, adjust the shoes and then bleed the cylinder.

I would also check the shoes to make sure that the tang that fits in the wheel cylinder is not too long as that can cause the cylinder to leak also.

Tom

supereal
01-03-2014 @ 12:47 PM
Senior

A leak of that size means something is very wrong with that wheel cylinder or something close to it. Take a close look at the rubber brake hose and where it is threaded into the cylinder. The flare at the ends of the hose may be damaged, or the connector was cross threaded. That would explain why the fluid is on the outside of the backing plate. Most leaks occur inside the drum, and pulling that should tell you if the leak is actually the cylinder. Any brake fluid leak is an accident waiting to happen.

TomO
01-04-2014 @ 8:29 AM
Senior

Good catch Supereal. I missed the part about the backing plate.

Tom

trjford8
01-04-2014 @ 9:21 AM
Senior

I wonder if they forgot the copper washer on the hose?

alanwoodieman
01-04-2014 @ 11:22 AM
Senior

some of the new reproduction wheel cylinders that come from china are made wrong!! the holes drilled for the fluid in the cylinders are not in the correct location--when the wheel cylinders are forced in by the ends of the shoes the rubber cup washer goes past this hole and allows the fluid to gradually leak out. the people having these reproduced are aware of the problem and seem to have trouble convincing the mfg (china) to do them correctly. one solution that has been used is to grind a little off the end of the shoe that goes into the cylinder, so the cup is not pushed back beyond the hole-crude but effective. the wheel cylinders (42-48 sizes) that I purchased from auto zone do not have this problem and of 4 cylinders two were made in Isreal, one in Italy, one in Argentina

trjford8
01-05-2014 @ 9:27 AM
Senior

Now you have a multi-cultural brake system!

Grant
01-06-2014 @ 2:15 PM
Senior

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and advice. Happy New Year to you and everyone else on Forum.

Our garage isn't heated. The weatherman has decided that it's going to be minus 35 here tonight and tomorrow (100 miles east of Detroit). When the thermometer decides to warm up a bit I'll get under the '36 again and take a better look at what's going on.

Maybe the problem is really the old hose rather than the left front wheel cylinder. Definitely the backing plate and the entire backside of the tire are wet.

The wheel cylinders have not been changed. Worldwide Automotive in Albuquerque New Mexico installed the set of four front brake shoes for us on June 28th while we were en route back to Canada from the Golden Jubilee meet in Tahoe.

Multi-culturalism is definitely not an issue in this case. Those shoes were made up using genuine Ford parts.....including New Old Stock linings......by Louis Cote in Fallon Nevada on June 20th while we were changing the left water pump in his shop which he had graciously allowed us to use.

I'll let you know what my closer examination reveals.

Grant
01-11-2014 @ 3:50 AM
Senior

I have been back under the front of the car.

The flex lines look pretty old to me.

Since this '36 has spent most of the last sixty years in storage, it appears that the best approach would be to change both of those flex lines and both front wheel cylinders as well at the same time. All brand new top quality stuff.

Since the vehicle is being used as a long-distance roadrunner (see page 65 of the November December V8 Times), I'm also thinking about installing a Bob Drake EC-410 1939-1940 master cylinder adapter kit along with a C9AZ-2140-D dual master cylinder so that the braking system will be safer.

Those parts are shown on page 387 of the current Drake catalog. Is this a proper approach to upgrading brakes on a '36 ?

Has anyone else out there done this conversion ? Or a similar one ? If so, how did it work out ?

Grant
01-11-2014 @ 3:55 AM
Senior

Tom O has recommended C&G as a supplier for front wheel cylinders.

Would that be a Grade A source for the front flex lines as well ?

I do understand that a repair kit might work just fine for the wheel cylinders, but the lengthy storage issue does cause me some concern and all-new parts don't seem to be a terribly expensive proposition.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org