LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1936 starter

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1936 starter -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

40 Coupe
07-26-2012 @ 1:14 PM
Senior

Before your car is judged it has to pass a safety (Tech) inspection. The car is started all the lights checked, wiper, horn..etc. after the tech inspection the car can go to the show field and be judged. The inspection usually happens hours before judging. If you get a chance go to a meet and watch. You will see some VERY NICE cars ask questions and you may learn. The owners are usually very open.

TomO
07-26-2012 @ 9:14 AM
Senior

If you have doubts about the battery, take it to a service center that sells batteries and have them do a load test on it. The load test require that the battery is fully charged.

The battery may have lost acid on the trip or not completely filled when new or the previous owner had a senior moment when describing the age of the battery. Any one of these will give a low specific gravity reading.

You can download current judging sheets from this site and the judging standards are in the front of the Club's Roster.

I think that Optima only make one 6 volt battery.
Optima Batteries 8010-044 6V RedTop Starting Battery

To install it in your script battery case, you would have to remove both the top and the bottom of the script case along with all of the cell dividers. You will have to make a new top that looks like the original and then modify the battery carrier to handle the taller battery. You may still lose points on the Concourse, but probably not enough to keep you from a Dearborn Award.
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-26-12 @ 9:21 AM

Model B
07-26-2012 @ 5:36 AM

I would install the charged battery to see if it will turn the engine over.

As far as safety inspection goes...leave the optima battery in your '36 until you have you are parked on the show field. Normally, you will have your car safety inspected a day or so before the actual show. I have had an acid Ford script in my '32 for over 10 years! Still going strong. Good luck!

Bob56
07-26-2012 @ 5:00 AM

I am new to showing a car, but wouldn't you have to start it at some point during the inspection. I was looking at the inspection sheets from 1996 & 1997 when the car was judged by Early Ford V8 Club and they seem to go through everything

40 Coupe
07-26-2012 @ 4:52 AM
Senior

If you want to show the car, save your old dead battery, drain all the acid out and neutralize it with baking soda. Take the battery with you to the show field. After the car has been safety checked and it is in it's position on the show field remove the Optima and install the Ford battery.Should only take a couple of minutes. This is also a good time to install your show spark plugs. The hold down and the Y bolts are not needed for the optima, but you will need them for the show battery. I am using the red top Optima 800 CCA

Bob56
07-25-2012 @ 12:16 PM

The battery that is in the car now is the repo Ford script as you stated. Just did a hydrometer test and all cells showed bad, did a second test with a different hydrometer and the same. Battery had 6.29 volts when I did the test. I just find it strange that the cells would show bad when the previous owner said the battery was only a few months old. If I change over to the optima what number would it be. I would also like to show the car once to see how it scores. In 1995 it scored 996 points and the Dearborn award. Would you know the point deduction for incorrect battery

TomO
07-25-2012 @ 7:04 AM
Senior

Bob,

Now that we know you have a stock 36 with the starter button on the floor, we can start to isolate the failing part.

Your starter may be locked into the ring gear. To check this out, out the car in 3rd gear and try to push it backwards. The car should be difficult to push and the engine should turn. If the engine does nit want to turn, the starter has probably locked into the ring gear. Continue to rock the car until you hear a loud bang of the starter releasing from the ring gear.

You have made a good start by checking the battery. The battery needs to near fully charged in order to start the car. Use a voltmeter to check for 6.0 volts with the headlights on. Any lower reading indicates a weak battery.

Next connect your meter between the NEG post of the battery and the cable at the starter and try to start the car with the ignition switch off. Read the voltage on the meter with the starter button depressed.

If you read more than .5 volts, your starter switch is probably corroded, or the cables are corroded or undersized.

If you have more than.5 volts, move the meter lead to the starter side of the starter switch and repeat the test. Then move the lead to the battery side of the starter switch and repeat the test.

Post the results of the test here, so we can help you find the problem.

Tom

40 Coupe
07-25-2012 @ 6:35 AM
Senior

Another battery comment: The script battery from Antique Auto Battery (this battery is the only script lead acid battery on the market)is also very high and does not conform to Ford Spec. for the 35-36 battery and nearly hits the floor cover and is about 3/8" too narrow so filler strips have to be added to get the battery to stabilize in the frame braces. I am using the Optima 6V in a special holder that lowers the battery 1 1/2" for top clearance. The cables fit without modification and the Optima is MUCH better than the lead acid. No modifications to the original car are necessary.

Henryat1140
07-25-2012 @ 6:21 AM

Hello Bob,

Welcome to the world of early V8's. You have a great resource here to help you get going.

My comments are regarding the battery. If you DO need a battery, and if it is located under the floor as original, then the size you want is a 2L. NAPA has one for about $92.00. The reason to mention this, is if you buy a 6 volt battery at Battery Warehouse or Tractor Supply it may be too high to fit properly under the floor and you won't be able to put the battery cover in place.

Second tip: the point where the positive (ground) cable attaches to the frame is an important connection. It needs to be clean, shiny and tight.

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

Bob56
07-25-2012 @ 3:13 AM

The car is stock with the button between the pedals. The car started when they loaded it on the truck and hasn't since. When it got to me in Las Vegas, after getting it in the garage I checked the battery. There was barely enough water to cover the plates. I topped the water (distilled) and started to slowly charge it. My charger showed it was 54% when I started. At 69% on slow charge the water was boiling out. Going to check with a hydrometer today.
As far as clubs there is nothing in this town.

This message was edited by Bob56 on 7-25-12 @ 3:14 AM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org