LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Phaeton Top Folding

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Phaeton Top Folding -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
02-02-2012 @ 7:55 AM
Senior

Another important tip is to be sure that self releasing snaps are installed in the correct places if called for. One of the primary causes of top damage is failure to unsnap the edges of the top before lowering it (don't ask how I know this!). I now have a reminder card inserted between the header bow and the latch to remind me, lest a "senior moment" interfere when the first sunny days return.

Don Rogers
02-01-2012 @ 9:03 PM
Senior

Jerry, I'm not sure that anyones feathers are getting ruffled here. I am The V-8 Times 36 Advisor and I knew nothing of your plans to promote these books or advertise them in the up coming V-8 Times issue. Some of these are booklets that are advertised to be about 35 & 36 open cars and I would like to know more about them as I am starting to get ADVISOR questions all ready.

Regards,
Don Rogers
36 Advisor

v8teditor
02-01-2012 @ 7:19 PM

As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished!" I was only trying to be helpful here and have apparently stirred the feathers of some. I have not personally seen any of these booklets. I am familiar with the quality of Dave Graham's reproduction manuals and literature and they are top notch. With Dave Cole's involvement and blessing, I imagine this moves these booklets to another level. I don't know if these are "helpful" or "exact reproductions." If you have a ragtop and don't know how to put the top up and down properly, these will help. They're only $15 ppd with a money-back guarantee. Buy one. If you're not satisfied, return it and get your money back. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just don't shoot the messenger!

Don Rogers
02-01-2012 @ 11:42 AM
Senior

Jerry (V8TEditor)Are these booklets being sold as "helpful" and needed top-lowing facsimilies or faithful reproductions of the original booklets. The descriptions so far don't say. Please clarify

Don Rogers
36 Advisor

Don Rogers
02-01-2012 @ 10:04 AM
Senior

40 coupe...I guess they didn't think that was important 70 + years ago.

v8teditor
02-01-2012 @ 7:14 AM

Also from the January/February V-8 TIMES:

Dear Dave (Dave Graham V-8 TIMES Associate Editor),

Say, these "How to put your top down" books really look nice! The whole lot of them showed up last Friday here, and I looked 'em over as soon as they got here. Thanks very much for the full set.
I was especially well impressed with how the booklet for the 1936 Club Cabriolet turned out, as it was the only one that you got to copy from an original book. I see you enhanced the lettering on the illustrations to make them easier to read, and I think the body text must be one size larger than the original, as it's a lot easier to read than the original. Not a bad idea, as those who need the books are almost all over 70 and their vision isn't all that great any more.
But even the books you copied from the copies I had turned out pretty well, certainly they are infinitely better than what the guys have now, which is usually NOTHING. The directions are all there, in the proper order and that’s what is most important.
I'm really pleased that my buying that one original booklet led to my writing the articles about this, and that you took up the job from there on and made copies available to everyone. These are not just nice to have, they are necessities. Nobody could ever figure out how to lower the top on some of these cars by trial and error. He'd ruin something first. Now a guy can do the job right.
This is a real service to owners of soft-topped Fords of 1935 to 1939, and I hope the guys who own such cars avail themselves of your reprints.

Toploweringly yours

Dave (Dave Cole)
V-8 TIMES Associate Editor

40 Coupe
02-01-2012 @ 4:42 AM
Senior

Don: I did not notice any mention of the small snap under the center of the rear window in the instructions.

Don Rogers
01-31-2012 @ 7:49 PM
Senior

Jerry, I'm surprised to see some of these top instruction booklets being listed as dual year 1935/36 booklets. My 1935 conv sedan booklet could have been used again in 1936 but my 1936 Roadster, 1936 Phaeton, and 1936 Cabriolet booklets could not have been used in 1935 since they hadn't been published yet. Am I missing something here??

Don Rogers
36 Advisor

35ragtop
01-31-2012 @ 6:48 PM

WELL WHAT A GREAT RESPONSE, THANKS EVERYONE, VERY TIMELY TOO WITH THE NEW BOOKLET.
I WAS A BIT WORRIED THAT IT WAS A STUPID QUESTION!
I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT THE MAN IN THE PHOTO IS STANDING INSIDE THE CAR - THATS WHAT I DID BUT FELT A BIT SILLY!!

v8teditor
01-31-2012 @ 1:50 PM

Here's the ordering info:

ORDERING INFORMATION
These booklets are now available and include a printed Ford envelope. The size is 4.5” X 6” and is eight or twelve pages, like the original. It is also a “Licensed Ford Product” and carries a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Return for prompt refund for any reason.
Please order by our beginning part number. The price is $15.00 each, and that includes the correct envelope and pre-paid shipping to you.
TL-1 1935-36 Ford Convertible Sedan-WithTrunk
TL-2 1935-36 Ford Convertible Sedan-NoTrunk
TL-3 1935-36 Ford Roadster
TL-4 1935-36 Ford Phaeton
TL-5 1936 Ford Club Cabriolet
TL-6 1937-38 Ford Convertible Sedan
TL-7 1937-38 Ford Club Cabriolet
TL-8 1937-38 Ford Phaeton
TL-9 1937 Ford Cabriolet
TL-10 1938 Ford Cabriolet
TL-11 1939 Ford Convertible Sedan
TL-12 1939 Ford Convertible Coupe
TL-13 1939 Mercury Sport Convertible Coupe
TOP WRENCH with envelope - $20 ppd
We also offer an “Owners Manual” for any Ford car or truck from 1922-1964 for $12.00 each postpaid. Be sure and specify exact model, year, engine, number of cylinders and Standard or Deluxe.

Dave Graham Auto Literature
1576 Maple Street
Corona, CA 92880
Phone (951) 340-0770 • Fax (951) 340-0771
Out Of Area (800) 822-1373
Email: sales@davegrahamauto.com
Warehouse:
8:30am to 4:30pm PST
Visa, Mastercard and Discover Card Accepted.
24 Hour Fax
Place your order by phone and charge it to
your credit card for immediate shipment.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org