Topic: Phaeton Top Folding

35ragtop    -- 01-30-2012 @ 7:46 PM
  Hi Guys, is there a correct way to fold the fabric on the phaeton top as you fold it down? Mine is a 35 and have just had the top done to complete my restoration. It seems to me that you have to be careful where you put the fabric, as you drop the top, to avoid it chafing on the irons etc. I seem to recall that ford produced a special booklet of instructions but have never seen or read one.
As an aside I bought a LE Baron Bonney top and as my car is RHD (Im down under ) i was worried about the fit differences between USA and Foreign production.
Well I am pleased to say that there was no issues, great fit and great product.

thanks Dave H

40 Coupe    -- 01-31-2012 @ 5:19 AM
  The booklet is being reproduced as well as the special wrench for the loosening of the top hold down screws for 36. I am not sure this booklet is for 35 and the wrench is not 35 since the 35 top hold down screws do not have provisions for the wrench.
I do not believe there are any written instructions.

Don Rogers    -- 01-31-2012 @ 5:22 AM
  Here's some images from a 36 top folding booklet. I hope it helps!! MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE WEARING A SUIT LIKE THE MAN IN THE PHOTOS OR THINGS WON'T WORK OUT WELL !!!!!

Don Rogers    -- 01-31-2012 @ 5:25 AM
  Some day I'll learn to post photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's image #1

Don Rogers    -- 01-31-2012 @ 5:26 AM

Don Rogers    -- 01-31-2012 @ 5:26 AM

Don Rogers    -- 01-31-2012 @ 5:27 AM

35fordman    -- 01-31-2012 @ 5:50 AM
  Don - Are there similar instructions for the 35 Convertible sedan that you could share or provide a source for the booklet?

supereal    -- 01-31-2012 @ 9:24 AM
  As a long time convertible owner, I can pass along a few tips. Never put a top down if it is damp or dirty. Moisture will cause mildew, which will stain the top, and dirt forms an abrasive layer which actually saws at the fabric, accelerating wear. A cover when the car is stored, even for a short time, will protect it. There are special products that will help keep the top clean without damage. Avoid any "dressings" which affect the softness of the material. As you lower a top, stop at several points to adjust the folds to lay flat, and to check to see that no fabric is being pinched in the top mechanism. This will minimize chafing which can result in permanent marring. If your top has bows which move as it is lowered, be sure they are free. A high quality top, such as by LeBaron Bonney, should last for many years if it is carefully handled and maintained.

v8teditor    -- 01-31-2012 @ 1:39 PM
  There is a full page article in the Jan/Feb V-8 TIMES - hopefully in the mail this week - on these booklets and the special wrench being reproduced by Dave Graham in CA. There are actually FOUR booklets available, one for each of the 1935/36 rag top models. Reproduction booklets endorsed by Dave Cole who provided some copies to Dave to reprint.

This message was edited by v8teditor on 1-31-12 @ 1:40 PM

v8teditor    -- 01-31-2012 @ 1:50 PM
  Here's the ordering info:

ORDERING INFORMATION
These booklets are now available and include a printed Ford envelope. The size is 4.5” X 6” and is eight or twelve pages, like the original. It is also a “Licensed Ford Product” and carries a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Return for prompt refund for any reason.
Please order by our beginning part number. The price is $15.00 each, and that includes the correct envelope and pre-paid shipping to you.
TL-1 1935-36 Ford Convertible Sedan-WithTrunk
TL-2 1935-36 Ford Convertible Sedan-NoTrunk
TL-3 1935-36 Ford Roadster
TL-4 1935-36 Ford Phaeton
TL-5 1936 Ford Club Cabriolet
TL-6 1937-38 Ford Convertible Sedan
TL-7 1937-38 Ford Club Cabriolet
TL-8 1937-38 Ford Phaeton
TL-9 1937 Ford Cabriolet
TL-10 1938 Ford Cabriolet
TL-11 1939 Ford Convertible Sedan
TL-12 1939 Ford Convertible Coupe
TL-13 1939 Mercury Sport Convertible Coupe
TOP WRENCH with envelope - $20 ppd
We also offer an “Owners Manual” for any Ford car or truck from 1922-1964 for $12.00 each postpaid. Be sure and specify exact model, year, engine, number of cylinders and Standard or Deluxe.

Dave Graham Auto Literature
1576 Maple Street
Corona, CA 92880
Phone (951) 340-0770 • Fax (951) 340-0771
Out Of Area (800) 822-1373
Email: sales@davegrahamauto.com
Warehouse:
8:30am to 4:30pm PST
Visa, Mastercard and Discover Card Accepted.
24 Hour Fax
Place your order by phone and charge it to
your credit card for immediate shipment.

35ragtop    -- 01-31-2012 @ 6:48 PM
  WELL WHAT A GREAT RESPONSE, THANKS EVERYONE, VERY TIMELY TOO WITH THE NEW BOOKLET.
I WAS A BIT WORRIED THAT IT WAS A STUPID QUESTION!
I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT THE MAN IN THE PHOTO IS STANDING INSIDE THE CAR - THATS WHAT I DID BUT FELT A BIT SILLY!!

Don Rogers    -- 01-31-2012 @ 7:49 PM
  Jerry, I'm surprised to see some of these top instruction booklets being listed as dual year 1935/36 booklets. My 1935 conv sedan booklet could have been used again in 1936 but my 1936 Roadster, 1936 Phaeton, and 1936 Cabriolet booklets could not have been used in 1935 since they hadn't been published yet. Am I missing something here??

Don Rogers
36 Advisor

40 Coupe    -- 02-01-2012 @ 4:42 AM
  Don: I did not notice any mention of the small snap under the center of the rear window in the instructions.

v8teditor    -- 02-01-2012 @ 7:14 AM
  Also from the January/February V-8 TIMES:

Dear Dave (Dave Graham V-8 TIMES Associate Editor),

Say, these "How to put your top down" books really look nice! The whole lot of them showed up last Friday here, and I looked 'em over as soon as they got here. Thanks very much for the full set.
I was especially well impressed with how the booklet for the 1936 Club Cabriolet turned out, as it was the only one that you got to copy from an original book. I see you enhanced the lettering on the illustrations to make them easier to read, and I think the body text must be one size larger than the original, as it's a lot easier to read than the original. Not a bad idea, as those who need the books are almost all over 70 and their vision isn't all that great any more.
But even the books you copied from the copies I had turned out pretty well, certainly they are infinitely better than what the guys have now, which is usually NOTHING. The directions are all there, in the proper order and that’s what is most important.
I'm really pleased that my buying that one original booklet led to my writing the articles about this, and that you took up the job from there on and made copies available to everyone. These are not just nice to have, they are necessities. Nobody could ever figure out how to lower the top on some of these cars by trial and error. He'd ruin something first. Now a guy can do the job right.
This is a real service to owners of soft-topped Fords of 1935 to 1939, and I hope the guys who own such cars avail themselves of your reprints.

Toploweringly yours

Dave (Dave Cole)
V-8 TIMES Associate Editor

Don Rogers    -- 02-01-2012 @ 10:04 AM
  40 coupe...I guess they didn't think that was important 70 + years ago.

Don Rogers    -- 02-01-2012 @ 11:42 AM
  Jerry (V8TEditor)Are these booklets being sold as "helpful" and needed top-lowing facsimilies or faithful reproductions of the original booklets. The descriptions so far don't say. Please clarify

Don Rogers
36 Advisor

v8teditor    -- 02-01-2012 @ 7:19 PM
  As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished!" I was only trying to be helpful here and have apparently stirred the feathers of some. I have not personally seen any of these booklets. I am familiar with the quality of Dave Graham's reproduction manuals and literature and they are top notch. With Dave Cole's involvement and blessing, I imagine this moves these booklets to another level. I don't know if these are "helpful" or "exact reproductions." If you have a ragtop and don't know how to put the top up and down properly, these will help. They're only $15 ppd with a money-back guarantee. Buy one. If you're not satisfied, return it and get your money back. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just don't shoot the messenger!

Don Rogers    -- 02-01-2012 @ 9:03 PM
  Jerry, I'm not sure that anyones feathers are getting ruffled here. I am The V-8 Times 36 Advisor and I knew nothing of your plans to promote these books or advertise them in the up coming V-8 Times issue. Some of these are booklets that are advertised to be about 35 & 36 open cars and I would like to know more about them as I am starting to get ADVISOR questions all ready.

Regards,
Don Rogers
36 Advisor

supereal    -- 02-02-2012 @ 7:55 AM
  Another important tip is to be sure that self releasing snaps are installed in the correct places if called for. One of the primary causes of top damage is failure to unsnap the edges of the top before lowering it (don't ask how I know this!). I now have a reminder card inserted between the header bow and the latch to remind me, lest a "senior moment" interfere when the first sunny days return.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4283