LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / locked out

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: locked out -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

tip
08-02-2011 @ 9:03 PM

40 coupe Sorry for the oversite. I wrote my responce
before I read your opinion. It was informative. TIP

ford38v8
08-02-2011 @ 6:56 PM
Senior

Tip, Sorry to hear you had to break the window. I wasn't aware that the key lock couldn't override the inside lock. Learn something every day.
The door strap sounds like a real headache. That's something else I'd not heard of. Consider possible results of knocking out a hinge pin: May do a number on your paint job. I'd sooner remove the door panel and see if the latch could be worked over from that point. Good luck with that.

Alan

40 Coupe
08-02-2011 @ 4:29 AM
Senior

tip your welcome!

flatheadfan
08-02-2011 @ 1:53 AM

Alan-

This has probably happened to just about everyone who has owned an old Ford. The upward pull of the door handle effectivly eliminates any of the conventional tricks to unlock the door. This definitely wasn't one of Henry's better ideas.

Is there any practical way to modify the door locking mechanism to prevent this from happening? I am thinking only the right-hand door (the key locking door). The driver's door can stay as it is.

Tom

tip
08-01-2011 @ 8:14 PM

Hi Alan and 37 Thanks for the concerne on my lockout
problem. After much thought I decided the simplist
solution was to break the quarter window. Punched
a dime sized hole,inserted jaws of channel lock
pliers and enlarged hole enough to put arm in with
a stick and unlocked door. No problem. Not so with
driver side door. It is jammed shut. There is a
rubber strap on the door to keep it from opening too
far. When they closed the door the last time, The rubber strap buckeled and doubled over on itself in
the door jam and forced the door forward and now the door latch cannot retrack far enough to release from
the striker plate. I will knock the hinge pins out
and hopefully it will release the pressure on the
latch and it will open. That is for tommorow.
I have the door lock key for the passenger lock but it
wouldn't over ride the inside lock.
I am happy with the upholstery work. I have done
some of these dumb things myself, so it is hardto
point a finger. Thanks TIP

40 Coupe
08-01-2011 @ 6:27 AM
Senior

First I do not believe the outer door lock will unlock the inside lock! I just tried same on my 33 door, but my lock mech is the later style with the inside lock mech as part of the door handle. Go with the coat hanger through the firewall speedo cable hole or wiring hole. Your going to need assistance from someone that can watch as you manipulate. When you have it open check the inside door latches. With both the doors open lock one door from the inside mech and then depress the lock bolt on the side of the door and the lock mech should unlock. If that works then relock the inside mech and close one door only and the inside mech should again unlock with the operation of the side bolt by the step latch on the door post.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-01-2011 @ 4:51 AM
Senior

Alan
I am with you , the locksmith is the only way to go,
TIP also have them make up a extra key,while he is there.for next time,just in case,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

ford38v8
07-31-2011 @ 10:02 PM
Senior

Tip, Sorry I couldn't envision that myself. So, at this point you haven't even been able to examine the work performed, and you are about to sustain some damage in getting into the car. I hope you didn't have to pay in full to obtain release of your car? The keys are in the ignition, I suppose. Before trying the great idea of accessing through the harness hole, call a locksmith. Just like in the movies, a locksmith can fiddle a bit and unlock a car door. Present a copy of the bill to then upholstery shop and save the original for small claims court. No damage to the car and a black & white document of cost incurred.

Alan

tip
07-31-2011 @ 9:45 PM

Alan I have been after the shop several times to
finish my car. When they called and said it was
ready I went to pick it up and they said there
was a problem. The doors were locked shut.
I told them if we could get it on the trailer
that I would find some way to open the door.
The hole in the firewall just might work.
I have got a spare quarter window. I just didn't
want that broken glass on the new upholstery.
Thanks all

larry/Texas
07-31-2011 @ 8:16 PM

I have a 33 tudor and back in the 60's I locked myself out several times. I used a lond heavy wire and inserted it thru the large wiring harness hole in the cowl and kept bending it until I was able to make contact with the drivers side door handle and then moved it down to a neutral position. I then opened the door. It took a litle time but it worked. That reminds me that when I get it back on the road I need to remember to have a wire I can use if it happens again.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org