Topic: locked out

tip    -- 07-31-2011 @ 12:56 PM
  Hi V8ers I have a 33, 5 window coupe with a rumble seat. I just got it back after several months in an
upholstery shop. It seems someone in the shop got
both inside door lock handles in the lock position and then closed the doors. I am locked out. The rumble
seat lid unlatches from the inside. The inside door
handles are on the front edge of the door. Was wondering if someone else has had this problem and
what you did to get the door open without breaking a
window.

MG    -- 07-31-2011 @ 1:53 PM
  Have you tried a 'Slim Jim"? I think Harbor Freight sells them.

See: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Slim-Jim

ford38v8    -- 07-31-2011 @ 2:38 PM
  Tip, if you "just got it back", how can you blame the shop for locking you out? I'd be miffed at the upholstery shop for keeping your car for several months, though!

Alan

larry/Texas    -- 07-31-2011 @ 8:16 PM
  I have a 33 tudor and back in the 60's I locked myself out several times. I used a lond heavy wire and inserted it thru the large wiring harness hole in the cowl and kept bending it until I was able to make contact with the drivers side door handle and then moved it down to a neutral position. I then opened the door. It took a litle time but it worked. That reminds me that when I get it back on the road I need to remember to have a wire I can use if it happens again.

tip    -- 07-31-2011 @ 9:45 PM
  Alan I have been after the shop several times to
finish my car. When they called and said it was
ready I went to pick it up and they said there
was a problem. The doors were locked shut.
I told them if we could get it on the trailer
that I would find some way to open the door.
The hole in the firewall just might work.
I have got a spare quarter window. I just didn't
want that broken glass on the new upholstery.
Thanks all

ford38v8    -- 07-31-2011 @ 10:02 PM
  Tip, Sorry I couldn't envision that myself. So, at this point you haven't even been able to examine the work performed, and you are about to sustain some damage in getting into the car. I hope you didn't have to pay in full to obtain release of your car? The keys are in the ignition, I suppose. Before trying the great idea of accessing through the harness hole, call a locksmith. Just like in the movies, a locksmith can fiddle a bit and unlock a car door. Present a copy of the bill to then upholstery shop and save the original for small claims court. No damage to the car and a black & white document of cost incurred.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-01-2011 @ 4:51 AM
  Alan
I am with you , the locksmith is the only way to go,
TIP also have them make up a extra key,while he is there.for next time,just in case,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

40 Coupe    -- 08-01-2011 @ 6:27 AM
  First I do not believe the outer door lock will unlock the inside lock! I just tried same on my 33 door, but my lock mech is the later style with the inside lock mech as part of the door handle. Go with the coat hanger through the firewall speedo cable hole or wiring hole. Your going to need assistance from someone that can watch as you manipulate. When you have it open check the inside door latches. With both the doors open lock one door from the inside mech and then depress the lock bolt on the side of the door and the lock mech should unlock. If that works then relock the inside mech and close one door only and the inside mech should again unlock with the operation of the side bolt by the step latch on the door post.

tip    -- 08-01-2011 @ 8:14 PM
  Hi Alan and 37 Thanks for the concerne on my lockout
problem. After much thought I decided the simplist
solution was to break the quarter window. Punched
a dime sized hole,inserted jaws of channel lock
pliers and enlarged hole enough to put arm in with
a stick and unlocked door. No problem. Not so with
driver side door. It is jammed shut. There is a
rubber strap on the door to keep it from opening too
far. When they closed the door the last time, The rubber strap buckeled and doubled over on itself in
the door jam and forced the door forward and now the door latch cannot retrack far enough to release from
the striker plate. I will knock the hinge pins out
and hopefully it will release the pressure on the
latch and it will open. That is for tommorow.
I have the door lock key for the passenger lock but it
wouldn't over ride the inside lock.
I am happy with the upholstery work. I have done
some of these dumb things myself, so it is hardto
point a finger. Thanks TIP

flatheadfan    -- 08-02-2011 @ 1:53 AM
  Alan-

This has probably happened to just about everyone who has owned an old Ford. The upward pull of the door handle effectivly eliminates any of the conventional tricks to unlock the door. This definitely wasn't one of Henry's better ideas.

Is there any practical way to modify the door locking mechanism to prevent this from happening? I am thinking only the right-hand door (the key locking door). The driver's door can stay as it is.

Tom

40 Coupe    -- 08-02-2011 @ 4:29 AM
  tip your welcome!

ford38v8    -- 08-02-2011 @ 6:56 PM
  Tip, Sorry to hear you had to break the window. I wasn't aware that the key lock couldn't override the inside lock. Learn something every day.
The door strap sounds like a real headache. That's something else I'd not heard of. Consider possible results of knocking out a hinge pin: May do a number on your paint job. I'd sooner remove the door panel and see if the latch could be worked over from that point. Good luck with that.

Alan

tip    -- 08-02-2011 @ 9:03 PM
  40 coupe Sorry for the oversite. I wrote my responce
before I read your opinion. It was informative. TIP

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3498