LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 32 Model B vs V8

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 32 Model B vs V8 -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

parrish
07-01-2011 @ 8:04 AM

On an origianl 32, roughly what is the market value differential of a model B versus the V8? And how difficult would the V8 swap be? Different front cross member needed? I realize that the Model B is just fine as is, just wondering and educating myself...Thanks!

This message was edited by parrish on 7-1-11 @ 8:12 AM

deluxe40
07-01-2011 @ 10:22 AM

In the very wild guess department, I would say that an original '32 V8 might be worth 30 to 50 percent more than a Model B in the same body style and condition.

Mechanically, the change can be made without extreme difficulty and has been done many times. Besides the engine, transmission and radiator, there are differences in the firewall, fuel line and linkage, hub caps, dash controls and emblems, to name a few.

The difficulties are: 1) the frame/VIN numbers are different, with the V8 starting with "18" and the Model B with "B". So the car will never be an original V8. 2) finding a usable '32 V8 engine is quite difficult with usable cores in the $5K range (several years ago - now, who knows?).

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that it is not worth doing. An original Model B is as rare and interesting as a Model 18 (V8) these days and both are more interesting than a mixture of parts. Plus, it's a lot of work and you still don't wind up with a car that you can drive on modern city freeways easily and safely.

supereal
07-01-2011 @ 10:33 AM
Senior

If you look at a good price guide, it appears that, on average. the 4 cylinder model is about 10% less valuable than the V8 counterpart. You didn't mention the model of your car, or I missed it, and the disparity varies as the rarety rises. That said, it is doubtful that conversion to an eight cylinder would be done for the difference, even with a correct '32 V8. There are two prospective markets: to a buyer who knows that your car is valuable "as is", and a rodder, who wouldn't care about the engine or running gear.

37RAGTOPMAN
07-01-2011 @ 10:51 AM
Senior

I have driven original B Motors in a MODEL A,
They run great, better up hills then most V8'S
have more torque,
a GOOD RUNNING B or C engine with counter weighted cranshaft has no problem on the open road,
what I find in the 32"s is the lack of room, compared to 33 and up cars,
A friend of mine had a 32 ROADSTER, and it to me was cramped, and I am only 5'10 tall
installing a flathead V8 is not that hard but it all depends how much you want to spend,just like anthing else in life,
if it is a running car leave it alone and enjoy it as is, if it is a basket case it might be worth doing the way you want,BUT DO NOT PLAN ON MAKING ANY MONEY ON IT,
What body style are we talking about ?? has a lot to do with it,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN, SEE YOU ALL IN SARATOGA,!!!

ford38v8
07-01-2011 @ 11:09 AM
Senior

Parrish, I agree with deluxe40 on value, if we're talking about two identically correct original cars. Super and I have long enjoyed our disagreement regarding the Value Guides. The '32 V8 block today is almost extinct, whereas the B block is much more available.

That said though, the drivability of the Model B is greater than the V8, as remember, the 4banger had evolved, while the V8 was barely more than a prototype engine, actually having fewer horsepower than the B.

Alan

CharlieStephens
07-01-2011 @ 12:47 PM
Senior

Deluxe40,

Other than the bolt on engine snubber and a few holes that are not used depending upon he engine (they are included on all firewalls) what is the difference in the firewall? Also you need to include the anti chatter rods (engine stabilizer rods), engine splash pans, and throttle linkage. The firewall pad will have holes to install the engine snubber bolts which I assume (?) would not be punched on a V8 firewall pad.

A good approach as the value impact might be to pick up a copy of "The Old Cars Price Guide" and compare the body style/condition you have with a 4 and an 8. I remember checking this question years ago and the V8 engine would increase the value of my roadster by $4000. I figured it would cost $5000 to make the change.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-1-11 @ 1:11 PM

deluxe40
07-01-2011 @ 6:19 PM

Charlie,

On the firewall, I was thinking of the B snubber and the bolt that holds it on. In the old days that was always a giveaway on a conversion. You are right, I forgot the chatter rods and the splash pans.

I checked www.nadaguides.com just now and they discount '32 values by 20% for the B version. They give low, medium and high values. For a coupe (no difference between 3W and 5W!) they say 17K, 25K & 36K; for a roadster, 26K, 42K & 57K. I think they are low for high end cars. I know of a nice original roadster for sale. It would probably not be a Dearborn at meets I've judged in the past 20 years, but the owner wants $85K. Dearborn cars approaching 1000 points are rumored to sell for well over $100K.

parrish
07-01-2011 @ 7:31 PM

The model is a standard coupe (5W) and I am not the current owner, but it might become available. It is all original and 95% complete. Engine does not turn which prompted my question of engine replacement options. My 2009 Old Cars guide shows a non-running car as a '5' which lists a 32 B at $7,200. That seems quite low. Owner is comtemplating 30K which seems quite high. My former boss, Tom Monaghan always said he wanted to die broke. This car might be his calling!
Thanks for all the input.

35ford
07-02-2011 @ 7:35 AM

I have done the change over and the list of changes required - somewhere. Please advise if you would like a copy sent to you. I think there are about 18 tiems. 35ford

parrish
07-02-2011 @ 8:42 AM

Yes, please. I tried a PM, but you have it disabled...
Thanks!

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org