LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / coil/condenser

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: coil/condenser -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

swmddo
06-26-2011 @ 4:10 PM

Possibly so, but in examining the new set of points in the distributor, they appeared to be doing what they were supposed to do. very frustrating.

UPDATE: I get a spark, albeit a weak one, from a high tension test wire from the coil. That indicates to me that the points are working. Could be now, a condenser, OR coil problem.

Steve

This message was edited by swmddo on 6-27-11 @ 6:08 AM

supereal
06-26-2011 @ 12:11 PM
Senior

I suspect that one of the point sets is not closing. One set "makes" the circuit, the other "breaks" it. If only one set is making contact, you will see the needle on an ohmmeter jump as it makes contact, but there is no saturation of the coil to produce the spark. As for the horn, it is alway "hot", and should blow as long as the battery is connected. The shock you feel is from the horn relay. When you release the horn button or ring, the magnetic field around the relay coil collapes and generates a spike that is transmitted back to the horn ring. Many manufacturers used a wire with a builtin resistor in the wire to eliminate the shock. It can also be done by placing a small resistor between the wire to the relay and the relay itself.

swmddo
06-26-2011 @ 11:26 AM

Deluxe40, thanks. I was about to that point, but it helps when you get some additional insight.

Thanks to all

Steve

deluxe40
06-26-2011 @ 10:40 AM

SWMDDO - In my opinion, it's time to package up the coil, condenser and distributor and send them off to Skip (or another vendor with a distributor machine) to be set up properly and tested. You might have a weak coil and/or condenser and you probably have either a bad set of new points or a mis-assembled distributor. In any case, it is hard to set the dwell properly without a distributor machine. You might be able to get the car to run again, but it won't be optimal. ( I also wouldn't go on tour again without a coil rebuilt by Skip).

I think your horn problem is unrelated. There is voltage on the horn wire that runs from the horn relay up the steering column even when the key and engine are off. When you push the horn button this wire is grounded, closing the horn relay and honking the horn. If the insulation between the inside part of the horn ring that makes the ground connection and the part you touch is gone, you become another path to ground and get a slight shock.

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 6-26-11 @ 10:55 AM

swmddo
06-26-2011 @ 8:50 AM

Points work now, but still no spark. The resistance goes up and down with jumper between distributor and coil. I have other issues, too. The horn shouldn't honk unless the engine is running, right? I get a shock when beeping the horn, too. I am frustrated, as I don't believe I've changed any of the wiring connections from when it ran fine. Do I have a polarity problem, possibly? Would that prevent the coil from working? Maybe I need a new coil...I hate to spend $$ when I don't know what's wrong.

Steve

swmddo
06-25-2011 @ 4:01 PM

I think I've found the problem! The small retaining ring around the shaft under the lobes is out of round, thus preventing the plate from seating down all the way. I am trying to figure a way using just needle nose pliers to get that ring back in without getting it out of round again.

UPDATE: The small ring was messed up when I took the plate off to replace the points. I was unable to get it back in place and have it tight enough to allow the plate to go over it. Seeing as this is a pretty much closed piece, with the timing screw and the large ring, I opted to leave the small ring out.

Steve

This message was edited by swmddo on 6-25-11 @ 4:29 PM

swmddo
06-25-2011 @ 2:41 PM

Thanks to all. My coil reads 3.4-3.5 volts with the ignition switch on. However, I just realized that the new/replacement base of the points (the stationary one) may be THINNER than the old ones, thus causing the binding of the screws...will have to check it out.

Steve

supereal
06-25-2011 @ 7:37 AM
Senior

To determine whether a non stock coil needs a resistor, place a voltmeter between the input terminal of the coil and ground. Turn on the ignition and watch the meter. With the points closed, the reading should not exceed about 3.5 volts (not amps). If the reading is higher, a resistor is needed. If the reading is within range, the coil has a built-in resistor. The resistor is important as a sort of voltage regulator to prevent point burning as the system voltage rise at speed. I mention the condenser check to aid in determining what actually happened when the engine quit. Replacement is usually done, but given the uneven quality of today's parts, if you have a good one, reuse it.

40 Coupe
06-25-2011 @ 4:23 AM
Senior

If the screws used for mounting the new points are too long they will interfere with the mechanical advance mechanism, under the point plate and cause binding and the point plate will not fit correctly.
When trying to test a condenser that you suspect is failing under heat,to see if it is good, you have to heat it before testing it on any meter. Unless you truly understand what you are doing and looking at with the meter I would suggest just changing the condenser.
Because a coil is marked "no resistor needed" does not mean you should remove the resistor. The coil may draw excessive current for the points causing premature damage to them from arcing. The Ford distributor points are only good for about 3 amps load, if you want them to last. To change out the Ford coil to a modern style I suggest you see several of "Bubbas" postings on fordbarn.com he explains this very well.

swmddo
06-24-2011 @ 6:20 PM

The locking ring is not seating properly, and that is keeping the plate slightly off center, and that is what is making it tight. It seems there is a very fine line between getting the plate in properly and not. So far, I've found out how NOT to get it in...

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org