LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / coil/condenser

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: coil/condenser -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

40guy
06-18-2011 @ 7:38 PM

My 40' quit on me today in the heat. I took a plug wire loose and had no spark. After it cooled off a while, it started right up and ran fine. Is there away to check the coil and condenser with a meter to see if they are bad or going bad?

trjford8
06-18-2011 @ 8:31 PM
Senior

You have the classic signs of a bad coil. If it's an original coil it needs to be rebuilt. Send it to Skip for a rebuild, you'll be glad you did.

40guy
06-18-2011 @ 8:44 PM

Yes I feel Skip will be recieving mail from me soon. The coil was rebuilt years ago by someone else. Do you know if Skip has the correct condenser?

trjford8
06-19-2011 @ 6:58 AM
Senior

He should have the correct condensor.

40 Coupe
06-19-2011 @ 7:23 AM
Senior

If you have had the coil rebuilt, the symptoms are classic of both the coil and the condenser. Order in a NAPA FA49 and put it in before sending your rebuilt coil out for another rebuild.

supereal
06-19-2011 @ 10:00 AM
Senior

Some of the "rebuild" years ago consisted of opening the coil case and pouring in an insulating compound, such as epoxy. In some cases, it worked well. in others, where the insulation between the winding was breached, it resulted in poor performance. The continuity of the windings can be checked with an ohmeter, as can the condenser. The primary winding of the coil will measure between .47 to .51 ohms at room temperature. The secondary, 5800 phms. This only tells you is the windings are not broken, but not the condition of the dilectric. The condenser can be checked with the same meter. With the meter set on high opms, touch the leads across the condenser, then revererse them. The needle should jump if it is OK. If it doesn't, the condenser is open. If the needle swings over, and stays, the condenser is shorted. Both coil and condenser are heat sensitive, with resistance rising, and output falling as the temp goes up.

swmddo
06-20-2011 @ 6:43 AM

I, too, am now having trouble with either the coil or dist. I performed the steps Bob indicated, checking the ohms across the capacitor, and it did what it was supposed to. Hooking the ohm meter to the wire going to the distributor and the other to ground, the resistance went up when I cranked it, but not back down..probably a points problem, eh? With everything hooked up, there was no spark from the high tension wire from the coil. The voltage across the coil, with ignition on, was 5.86V, and when I cranked it, it went to 4.3V. Perhaps I have multiple problems: points not closing and bad coil?

Thanks
Steve

supereal
06-20-2011 @ 8:56 AM
Senior

You check the coil with it disconnected from the system. A resistance test will only confirm if the winding is intact, not if the insulation has been breached. Remember that the primary and secondary windings are joined at the input terminal when you hook up your meter. If you check voltage with the coil installed, you should read about 3.5 volts with the points closed, and battery, about 6.5-7 when the points open. As your closed reading seems a bit high, I'd check the resistor under the dash and see what the output voltage is with the points closed. As for coils, we just send them out to be rebuilt, as 99+% of original coils will not function properly.

swmddo
06-20-2011 @ 9:08 AM

Thanks. This coil is not original, after-market, tubular,"no external resistance needed"...

The resistance I checked was with it out in my hands. This coil has been out of the car for 6 months, as I was rebuilding the engine. Never had problems with it before, but...

I didn't mess with the distributor, but perhaps I need to do a bit more diagnosing of that...downside is that for this '48, I have to almost remove the fan assembly to get to it...:-(

Steve

supereal
06-20-2011 @ 9:49 AM
Senior

If you are using a modern tubular coil, you need to bypass the resistor under the dash because the modern coil has a built in resistor. Removing the fan is always the best way to get at the distributor. If you have ignition problems after a long period of disuse, I'd pull the distributor and replace the points, as they can oxidize if well worn. If you have a place to have it set up by machine, that is best. Your distributor has two set of points, and it isn't unusual to find one set in bad shape, particularly if the condenser is old. Be sure to buy good quality point sets. The market is full of very poor foreign made sets with soft rubbing blocks, weak springs, and poorly threaded terminals. Ask when you buy whether the points are of good quality. If you see signs of wear or burning, also replace the rotor and inner cap.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org