LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Pike's Peak

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Pike's Peak -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Old Henry
10-29-2010 @ 11:00 PM
Senior

After throwing out Pike's Peak as an example of the possible use for higher pressure radiator caps I suddently got the urge to take that climb to the top in my old '47 Sedan. I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences of doing the same. How 'bout it? Anyone done that and can tell about it?

Still Old Henry

flathead4rd
10-30-2010 @ 5:53 AM

Here's my expierence but not in a Ford. Back in 1960 I had a new 60 Chev, Impala 327 V-8. The wife and I drove it from Michigan to Colorado and while ther decided to drive to the top of Pikes Peak. Fourteen thousand one hundred ten feet, gravel road, and no guard rails. Very interesting, especially if you met another vehicle that was on the way down. Anyway, long story short, around the ten thousand feet elevation there was a major change in engine power. I had that C***y floored most of the time and could barely keep a speed of 25 MPH. The engine was starving for air the rest of the way and running very poorly. Finally made it to the top and I will say it was worth the drive. On the way down, no problems. DUH, it's downhill all the way, no engine needed. They stopped all vehicles at the 10,000 ft. level and checked your brakes. If necessary had you pull off to the side for a cool down. Once below the 10K foot level the engine started running normal again. I don't know how the road is now some fifty years later but I do recommend you do it if your there. Something you will remember for a long time. PS: Don't get out of your car and run around when you get to the top. You might get a little dizzy and pass out. Yes, they do sell oxygen up there at the visitors building.

Old Henry
10-30-2010 @ 8:07 AM
Senior

I was thinking that might happen. (Loss of power at altitude.) Many years ago we were pulling our camping trailer with our van on I-70 in Colorado and as we approached the Eisenhour Tunnel at 11,158 elevation we had the same experience - severe loss of power such that we were just crawling 10-15 mph until we got over the top and started down the other side.

I have sometimes advanced the timing on my distributor at higher altitudes and retarded it at lower to compensate some for the change in atmospheric pressure with some benefit. Might have to do that on the Pike's Peak climb.

Still Old Henry

supereal
10-30-2010 @ 8:58 AM
Senior

The problem is loss of compression due to the thinner air, and made worse by the drop in air induction. Timing changes wouldn't help much, if any. A turbo or other supercharger would, however. An altitude of 14,000 feet does do strange things to vehicles and people. The last time I was to the top of Pike's Peak it was in my new '72 Chevy pickup. It was a strong vehicle until we got 2/3 of the way to the top, then it turned into a panting monster that struggled. The temp at the base was 80. At the peak, it was in the low 30's. If you go, take a coat. For many years, "Denver" heads and brake drums were available for those in mountain states.

Old Henry
10-30-2010 @ 12:24 PM
Senior

The main reason I've adjusted my timing for altitude is this: Historically, when I've gone from my high elevation home in Utah (5,000 feet) to California or Arizona, I've developed premature detonation - "pinging" - in the engine. When I back off the timing at low altitude the pinging goes away. Likewise, when I return to higher altitude, I have less power than I had before at that higher altitude so I advance the timinig and regain my power. There is, of course, a limit to the amount one can advance timing to increase power but I think every little bit will help when we climb Pike's Peak.

I surmise that thinner air, meaning less fuel, takes a little longer to detonate and explode. Thus, a little earlier timing under those conditions can give the air/fuel mixture a little "head start" on the explosion before reaching maximum compression - thus increasing power some by doing that.

A super charger or turbo charger could certainly help. Or, if they sold the oxygen at the bottom of the mountain, instead of at the top, one could prop it under the hood and let it "trickle" oxygen into the carburetor on the way up. Now I think that would give it a boost. What do you think?

Still Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 10-30-10 @ 12:36 PM

Stroker
10-30-2010 @ 1:59 PM
Senior

Old: Your engine pings at low elevation because you have more compression. I think the idea of "trickling" straight O2 into the carb is a wonderful way to explore the innards of your motor,
while you replace the pistons with holes, valves without heads, etc.

If you wish to give your flattie a rocky mountain "high", it would be better to do it with "laughing gas" (nitrous oxide), as the metering (trickling) hardware is readily available along with the advice.

Another option would be to hog out your jets, and run a methanol/nitromethane mixture in the fuel
tank. This is essentially a monopropellant that is used in various racing venues. Just don't forget to drain the oil when you are done, so the breather cap doesn't punch a hole in the hood the next time you fire it up.

I once roared over the summit at Berthoud with a McCulloch supercharger, and I will say it is truly rewarding passing cars 5 or 6 at a time.

Old Henry
10-30-2010 @ 2:12 PM
Senior

I'll probably just creep up the hill along side the turtles and snails and enjoy the scenery.

Still Old Henry

coftbird
10-30-2010 @ 6:17 PM

Pike'sPeak in an old Ford - go for it. Last year I went up in a '37 pickup with 21 stud V8. It was not easy due to vapor lock and heating, but I made it. If a fellow could get gasoline without ethanol it might help. I had to use the electric fuel pump at the higher elevations to keep from vapor locking. Also about 11,000' the truck got hot and I had to shut down to let it cool off. Strangely five days earlier I had gone up Mount Evans, slightly higher, with no problems. The road is partially paved, partially gravel and partially under construction. Did not have any view when we got there. Had fog, rain, snow, sleet and hail. Did not stay long as my wife wanted down promptly. The full story is in May/June 2010 V8 Times.

Old Henry
10-30-2010 @ 7:55 PM
Senior

Charlie, I read your full story in the V8 Times and loved it. But, I couldn't find anywhere when it was that you took the trip. When did you do it? It sounded like a cold time of year, at least with the cold weather you had on Pike's Peak and I was curious why your engine overheated in such cold weather. I'm thinking that your water was boiling because of the low air pressure more than overheating. Maybe I will take a higher pressure radiator cap to put on for the climb to keep that from happening.

Still Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 10-30-10 @ 8:01 PM

coftbird
10-31-2010 @ 11:55 AM

Henry - the date was August 29, 2009. The air temperature was warm at the bottom of the hill (7,400'). When I shut down for the engine to cool at 11,000' the air temp was about 55 to 60 and engine temperature was about 200 (as best I remember). At the top air temp was at, or near, freezing. Yes I imagine the low air pressure contributed to the boiling, but the '37 truck does not have a pressure cap so there was nothing I could do about that.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org