LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / leaking 2nd new wheel cylinder

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: leaking 2nd new wheel cylinder -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

fredster
08-25-2010 @ 8:01 PM

I bought all new wheel cylinders '39-'48at sacramento vintage ford 4 yrs ago. installed them in jan.this year and the left front
leaks.i removed and inspected them had a friend check it out and he said the new wheel cylinder looked fine.I reinstalled and same thing, it leaks. i pulled the cylinder out again but it sat on my shop table for a few months and the inside of the cylinder got surface rust and some rust pits in them.I went to sac vintage and the parts tech guy said the rust pits caused the leak.So I bought a new one and installed it and it leaked.!Same left front.Wrong brake shoes? that pushing the piston pass the seal? HELP!!!!!!!!!!

b29fred

sturgis 39
08-26-2010 @ 4:29 AM

MAYBE THE CONNECTION IS THE CAUSE OF THE LEAK.SOMEONE TOLD ME NOT TO USE SILICONE BRAKE FLUID IN OLD CARS. THIS DOES NOT EXPLAIN JUST ONE CYLINDER LEAKING.I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT NEW CYLINDERS. THEY SELL KITS AND THEY ARE EASY TO INSTALL. BUY A HONE AND HOOK UP THE ELECTRIC DRILL AND HAVE FUN. THE SEALS AND PISTON RUBBERS DO NOT LIKE OIL.I HOPE SOMEONE WILL HAVE A BETTER SOLUTION.I HAVE HAD BAD BLEEDER VALVES AND I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU GET NEW ONES WITH NEW CYLINDERS.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-26-2010 @ 5:26 AM
Senior

The piston bore might be overbored causing this leak,I had the same thing from MACS a number of years ago,
SENT THEM BACK,
I bought NEW ones from a AUTO PARTS HOUSE,
NOT CHEAP. but NO LEAKS....
WHITE POST RESTORATIONS also rebuild all kinds of cylinders,from any make of auto,by
reboring the cylinders and installing brass sleeves in them, NO MORE RUST,EVER.
the rubber parts in the cylinders are very common and just about any auto part store will have kits with the same sizes ,and you can try to install new seals in them. not a hard job, and a learning experience.,
BUY A HONE,,,make sure there are no pits near the end were the seal rides, in the center of the cylinder were the seal does not ride, should be ok,if it has a few pits,cause it does not wear the seal out,
ALSO.....NAPA AUTO PARTS SELLS a lube that you install behind the rubber boots.this makes a seal to keep water out,well worth the few bucks,
Hope this helps,. 37RAGTOPMAN,an KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!

TomO
08-26-2010 @ 7:32 AM
Senior

I prefer to buy all of my brake parts from a local auto parts store. They handle Wagner, Raybestos and Dorman products. I have not had any problem with these parts and the price is competitive with quality parts form C&G and other vendors.

The Raybestos part numbers for wheel cylinders are:
Left Front WC8264, RF WC8265, LR WC8266 and RR WC8267.

The Master Cylinder P/N is MC1050.

Use a good quality dial or digital calipers to measure both bores of the cylinders. They should be 1" and 1 1/8 inch + .003" -.0".

Tom

deuce_roadster
08-26-2010 @ 9:40 AM

I had this exact same problem with 2 different cars both with NAPA parts. Both times it was the thickness of the new lining pushing the piston too far in the cyl and the lip of the rubber was going just past the entrance hole for the brake lining. There really was no problem with the cylinder. I think this is more an issue with the front cylinders because I think the line is coming in at an angle. Anyway it was VERY frustrating, I ended up taking about 1/16 inch off the ends of the shoes where they contact the piston and the problem went away.

deuce_roadster
08-26-2010 @ 9:42 AM

Oops, make that the entrance hole for the brake FLUID in the previous post. (It is h*ll getting old)

supereal
08-26-2010 @ 10:01 AM
Senior

Are the wheel cylinders correctly positioned with the large end facing the front of the car, and the secondary (short) shoe end of the cylinder facing toward the reverse shoe? Does your master cylinder have at least one inch of free play at the pedal so the system pressure is fully relieved when the pedal is released? Is the brake hose to that wheel in good condition with no kinks? It is unusual for a new brake cylinder to become pitted in a short time, especially out on the bench. Pitting is caused by water in the fluid. Brake fluid is "hydroscopic". That means it has an affinity for water, which collects in the cylinders as beads on the bottom surface of the bore. Only fresh, never before opened, containers of brake fluid should be used. We flush and replace all conventional brake fluid in our cars every couple of years, and avoid silicone (DOT5) fluid because it tends to leak even in otherwise good systems.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-26-2010 @ 5:23 PM
Senior

only time I saw that silicone brake fluid work is in a closed brake system like a motorcycle,
used it twice,and had problems both times
1962 MERCEDES BENZ 190-D EVERTHING NEW,!!!!
1948 CHEVROLET STATION WAGON,did a complete brake system , everything new, everything new, and about 1 year later had problems, went back to the original brake fluid.
I have good results with VALOLINE SYNTHEIC BRAKE FLUID.
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,

37RAGTOPMAN
08-26-2010 @ 5:30 PM
Senior

deuce roadster.
on the brake relined brake shoes,?
were the shoes repros? with new lining?
or original shoes,with new lining?
it always to play safe. and AWAYS COMPARE REPROS to the ORIGINALS,
I suspect that the shoes were repros and were just a little longer then the originals.
just my 3 cents worth, but really would like to know.
37RAGTOPMAN

deuce_roadster
08-26-2010 @ 9:10 PM

37Ragtopman,
Shoes were Ford script but yes, they had been relined locally in the Seattle area (bonded) and arced to drums. Drums were less then .050 wear. Don't know how you would check to see if the lining is too thick, maybe I should have used worse drums (not really!) But this was definitely the problem here as everything else was new. Pistons being pushed too far back.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org