LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / leaking 2nd new wheel cylinder

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: leaking 2nd new wheel cylinder -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

37 Coupe
08-29-2010 @ 1:40 PM

My results from using Dot 5 synthetic over last 25 years : Way more positive than negative.

supereal
08-29-2010 @ 10:13 AM
Senior

The shoe with the longer lining ("primary shoe") faces toward the front, and is activated by the larger diameter side of the wheel cylinder. The shorter shoe is called the "secondary" shoe, and faces toward the rear. Anyone who doesn't agree with this should consult a reliable shop manual.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-28-2010 @ 4:50 PM
Senior

TOM O
What ever works for you,
to much money and to many problems.for me to even think about using,DOT 5 SILICONE BRAKE FLUID.
the wheel cylinders froze tight on the 1962 MERCEDES BENZ DIESEL,had everything new, 6 wheel cylinders,[ 4 IN FRONT ] and all new hoses and new master cylinder,
this is the way it worked,
one day you have a fantastic pedal,
then the next day you drive down to the end of block and hit the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor,
scared the xxxx out of me,
took the car home.
rebleed the brakes with regualr brake fluid,had no probems for years.and then sold the car,
on the 48 CHEVY STATIONWAGON,was a customers car,
all new wheel cylinders, all new metal lines new rubber hoses,and new master cylinder,.nothing else to replace,
about a year later. went to bleed the brakes because the pedal was soft,and the brake pedal stuck to the floor, master cylinder piston stuck down at the bottom,had to rebuild with new parts and rebleed the brakes and got a great pedal and problem solved with regular brake fluid,
so you can see why I have no interest in using,
this fluid was made for aircraft,and later motorcycles started using,and I am thinking for race cars,
I do use and like the syntheic brake fluid,sold by VALVOLINE, about $5.00 a quart and mixes with regular fluid and is rated DOT 4,
just my 3 cents worth.
SILCONE BRAKE FLUID ,,ALSO IT ATE UP THE NEW STOP LIGHTSWITCHS, if you use a hydraulic sopt light switch.
people blowing thier horns because of no stop lights,
was not a pleasant experience.FOR SURE.
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 8-30-10 @ 4:50 PM

fredster
08-28-2010 @ 4:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. A buddy of mine helped me and said my brake shoes was installed backwards.the shoe with more lining should be in the back he said.The right is installed wrong as well but why did it not leaked?so whats going on here? I noticed that when i put the brakeshoes on top of each other the lenght of
the part that pushes the piston is longer than the other brake shoe.the brake shoe with more lining has a longer tip that pushes the piston , but the wheel cylinder's large bore side also has a longer bore so it make sense to have the shoe with more lining to be on this side.So did i really have the shoe on backwards but since it's not leaking anymore, I shouldn't complain right.I did not switch the right side shoes cos i'm not convinced the shoes are on backwards. So please shed some light on this dilema......thanks

b29fred

deluxe40
08-28-2010 @ 9:04 AM

I have two old Fords with Dot 5 fluid. I went through a couple of copper washers getting it to stop leaking when I rebuilt the brakes, but both cars have now been in service for more than 12 years without problems. They go out at least once each month for a 20 mile drive.

TomO
08-28-2010 @ 7:23 AM
Senior

Dot 5 is not used by the factory in any modern cars that I know of. It cannot be used in ABS systems as the ABS action will entrain air into the fluid.

Most of the modern cars use a closed system with the rubber bladder to reduce the amount of moisture in the brake fluid. Our older cars have a vented system that allows air to replace the fluid as the brake shoes wear and to compensate for temperature changes of the fluid.

I don't know what problems you had with Dot 5, but I am not alone in being satisfied with it. There are many others that have had it in their cars for years without it causing any problems.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN
08-28-2010 @ 6:03 AM
Senior

I think the cast iron master cylinder also causes water to enter the system by sweating,
also there is a vent on the master cylinder , this is were air enters, also entering is water that is in the air.
usually the dot 5 systems in motorcycles AND IN MODERN CARS have a rubber bladder that does not let outside air in, and also no water, the bladder compensates for the wear in the brake pads,letting the fluid go up and down
I used DOT 5 2 times and never again,
I think you are one lucky person,getting good results,
but then again in might have someting to do with where you live,
just my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

TomO
08-27-2010 @ 7:30 AM
Senior

Silicone fluid works very well in a good brake system. The most common problem people have with Dot 5 is getting a firm pedal. Dot 5 does not affect the rubber or leak from good connections. It does not attract water or cause the brake cylinders to fail.

I have had Dot 5 in my car since 1980 and when I replaced the shoes this Spring, I honed the cylinders and put new rubber parts in the wheel cylinders. The honing was done to break the glaze and put a seating surface in the wheel cylinders as there was no pitting in any of them.

IMHO Dot 5 works better in a seldom used car then Dot 3 because of the accumulation of water in an open system with Dot 3. The moisture tends to boil out of the system when you use the car as a daily driver, but accumulates when parked.

Tom

deuce_roadster
08-26-2010 @ 9:10 PM

37Ragtopman,
Shoes were Ford script but yes, they had been relined locally in the Seattle area (bonded) and arced to drums. Drums were less then .050 wear. Don't know how you would check to see if the lining is too thick, maybe I should have used worse drums (not really!) But this was definitely the problem here as everything else was new. Pistons being pushed too far back.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-26-2010 @ 5:30 PM
Senior

deuce roadster.
on the brake relined brake shoes,?
were the shoes repros? with new lining?
or original shoes,with new lining?
it always to play safe. and AWAYS COMPARE REPROS to the ORIGINALS,
I suspect that the shoes were repros and were just a little longer then the originals.
just my 3 cents worth, but really would like to know.
37RAGTOPMAN

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org