LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Timing Gear Replacement

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Timing Gear Replacement -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

39Fordfan
10-05-2021 @ 6:22 PM

The timing gear on my '39 Deluxe shredded itself the other day while I was at highway speed.

It looks like it's the pressed on type, not bolted on. It seems I'm in for a big job ahead of me. Unless you have a way around pulling the engine and tearing it down to press a new timing gear on?

I'm thinking I'll pull the engine myself and figure out what machine shop I'm going to. I doubt I would rebuild it myself, but maybe it would make sense?

I've never traveled down this road before, this was my Dad's car. I'm pretty sure Henry's guys were the last ones to ever touch this part of the engine.

I'm wondering if you can give me some tips about; A) Pulling the engine. B) Questions to ask an engine rebuilder. C) Can you even find the parts needed during this pandemic? Can you get a better timing gear than this fiber type? D) The engine smoked a small amount on acceleration, and yet it pulled really strong. I'm not sure it needs a full overhaul? But it seems if I'm going to go to all this trouble it would be the wise thing to do. E) Any idea what it costs to rebuild a flathead these days? Or recommend a good flathead shop in the Midwest?

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

This message was edited by 39Fordfan on 10-5-21 @ 6:31 PM

alanwoodieman
10-05-2021 @ 7:24 PM
Senior

I have been told there is a way to replace the gear, but as far as I know, the only press on available is the fiber gear. As an experiment I tried to remove the pressed on fiber gear, a lot of work but doable. later engines used bolt on fiber gears that were replaced with bolt on aluminum. to replace the cam does require a lot of work-pull heads/intake/valves--to do this it is easier to pull engine. I might be tempted to remove and replace the pressed on gear with a new one without removing the above mentioned parts

39Fordfan
10-06-2021 @ 7:05 AM

Thank-you so much for your response, Alanwoodieman!

I was of the understanding I had on my '39 it was a 50/50 chance that I might have a gear that is bolted on. I guess the transition away from the pressed on timing gears was already occurring in '39.

Have you heard much about the aluminum gear? Would it be an improvement? Or just go ahead and get the fiber gear and cross my fingers it goes long after I do?

You succeeded getting the timing gear off with the motor in the car? Were you able to press another one too with the motor in the car?

Thanks!

This message was edited by 39Fordfan on 10-6-21 @ 7:06 AM

37RAGTOPMAN
10-06-2021 @ 7:12 AM
Senior

HI
I had to do this on a 36 , customers car,
I removed the grill, intake and valves. timing cover,
pulled the old cam out and pressed the new gear on
I would look for a new cam, with the bolt on gear.
replace the cam and gear,
try SOUTHSIDE OBSOLETE in Minn, talk to FRED, he might have what you need, 1 507 332 6789
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

TomO
10-06-2021 @ 9:55 AM
Senior

I would pull the engine to replace the timing gear. The gears at the back of the camshaft operate the oil pump and you could have a problem getting them to mesh.

I would not install a new camshaft in the old bearings, it could cause oil pressure problems due to bearing clearance.

Any competent automotive machine shop can press on a new gear for you. Your photo shows the press on gear.

If you are going to rebuild the engine, then I would get a camshaft with the bolt on gear.

You need to provide your city and state in your request for an engine rebuilder. The 39 engine may have the thin steel sleeves and it is usually a good idea to replace the sleeves. Machine shops that are not familiar with the flathead V-8 have problems working on the engines with the steel sleeves. Most of the engines that had the sleeves had HS stamped on the machined surface where the intake is mounted. Look at the front of the engine first as that is the most likely place for the stamp.

Tom

39Fordfan
10-06-2021 @ 10:47 AM

Hey 37RAGTOPMAN,

Thanks! That's all good stuff.
Yes, I am familiar with Fred at Southside Obsolete - definitely from this forum, it could've even been you who steered me to him a few years ago. I will give him a call and see what he has. I appreciate it!

39Fordfan
10-06-2021 @ 11:18 AM

Hi TOMO,

Thanks for your response! I'm in Minnesota too. I'm about an hour west of the Twin Cities near Winsted. I figured I'd ask around with the Twin Cities EFV-8 Club about local machine shops familiar with flatheads. Living outside of the Cities and the pandemic has kind of cut me off from the group whose membership mainly lives on the east side of the Cities which puts me almost 2 hrs from them. However I am open to traveling a bit to bring the engine to a quality machine shop with good value and experience on flatheads.

Are you saying after pulling the engine out of the car, it's possible to just the press on the timing gear and not have to tear down the engine to get that done? Or pull it apart as far as necessary to get a new timing gear pressed on and put the engine back in the car?

Regarding the steel sleeves, are these cylinder sleeves you are talking about? I'll go and look for the stampings you suggested. I had the heads off this Spring for a head gasket job and I didn't think I noticed if the bores had sleeves. But I'm definitely going to look for what you mentioned.

If I rebuild, the Cam with a bolt on gear sounds like a must. The rest I'm really rather unsure of at this point because the engine still seemed strong except for a bit of smoke at times.

Right now, I'm thinking of replacing or machining everything that looks worn or is a no-brainer, but re-using as much of whatever makes sense. It's a Fordor and probably doesn't need major performance upgrades.

carcrazy
10-06-2021 @ 12:05 PM
Senior

Your best course of action may be to find a competent Ford Flathead V-8 mechanic and pay him to make a house call to install a new fiber gear on your camshaft while it is still in the engine and the engine is still in the car. This is certainly the easiest way to go provided you can find a capable mechanic and the correct timing gear.

37RAGTOPMAN
10-06-2021 @ 12:56 PM
Senior

I also would inspect the CRANKSHAFT GEAR,
this is most likely what made the CAM GEAR GO BAD,
probably has rust pits in it,or rough surface on the teeth on the gear,
the engine I replaced the cam shaft, was rebuilt ,
had no roblem lining up the oil pump drive gears,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

39Fordfan
10-06-2021 @ 1:47 PM

Hi carcrazy,

Thanks for your response. I would love to do what you are saying. Unfortunately my understanding is that it isn't really feasible (or possible) to put a press-on timing gear on the cam shaft while it's in the car. Are you saying it can be done? Any draw backs to doing it that way?

I am able to procure a press-on gear and I could find a competent flathead mechanic, just not sure what will work?

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org