LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Fuel line plugged

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Fuel line plugged -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
09-30-2018 @ 7:51 AM
Senior

The first time that I sealed a tank was in 1975 and I sloshed it around with several coats to get a nice solid covering. I let the tank sit empty over the winter and put it in the car in the spring. In the fall of 1976, I had yellow spaghetti in my fule lines and yellow curtains in the tank.

I took it back to the stripper to have it stripped again and he told that he had done many tanks the second time because the coating was too thick. when I got the tank back, I followed his recommendation to just use one coat and slush the coating around several times, leaving enough time in each position to allow the coating to flow over the surface. That coating lasted until I had it removed in 2004, because I was concerned that the yellow coating was not ethanol resistant and it would start peeling.

IMHO:Thin coats seem to last longer and will protect the tank. Thick coats may not cure properly and tend to fail sooner.

Tom

woodiewagon46
09-29-2018 @ 10:09 AM
Senior

Tom O, I read your post and you only used a 1/2 pint to seal a Lincoln gas tank? Everyone I have talked to said a quart isn't enough and to use a minimum of 3 quarts to get entire coverage! Even when I talked to the people at Bill Hirsch, they recommended two!

mzahorik
09-29-2018 @ 7:08 AM

A filter is a good idea, yet most of the clog was in the pickup pipe of the tank. Seems the the steel lines have a large diameter than any of the connections. At a connection point the hole necks down and this is where the blockage seems to occur. The drain of the last wash was nearly clear. The borescope inspect looks good. I want to blow out the fuel line to be sure that is also clear. All seems to be good. MIke

woodiewagon46
09-28-2018 @ 3:41 PM
Senior

I would also install a throw away filter as close to the tank as possible to catch anything that might be left in the tank. I would use the car for a while and replace the filter a couple of times. Sounds like you are doing a good job with the acetone, I think that's what I'll try with this Model A tank.

mzahorik
09-28-2018 @ 12:13 PM

I do two rinses in a row, 1/2 gallon each. Did one today, and there still is a milky tinge to the drain. Figure I'll do one more. I don't have a 'smart phone'. Mine still hangs on the wall. I spend my money on cars. Anyway a mechanic friend has a bore scope which I used in the past. You connect it to a lap top, so you get a big picture. Getting close to being done. Mike

TomO
09-28-2018 @ 7:03 AM
Senior

Mike, acetone works better if you do not let the paint dry out between applications.

There are inexpensive inspection cameras that connect to a smart phone if you use one. They run less than $25 and work good enough to see if there is any residue left.

Tom

woodiewagon46
09-27-2018 @ 5:41 PM
Senior

If you can find someone with a bore scope to take a good look inside I would borrow it. You want to get all that stuff out. One little piece can ruin the day.

mzahorik
09-27-2018 @ 1:38 PM

Today, first I tried to remove as much of the sealer as I could from the sender hole. You can see the fuel pickup and there was a large piece of loose sealer around the pickup. I got that out and then pushed a wire into the fuel line port. A sausage of old sealer came out. Maybe 1/4" in diameter and 6 inches long. I purchased a gallon of acetone and put about 1/2 of it in the tank. Sealed all the holes and sloshed it around for 5 minutes. I looked in the tank and most of the old sealer had dissolved. I drained the acetone and it came out a dark milky color, started out clear. Then the other half was put in the tank and sloshed around for 5 minutes. Now the areas that I can see are clean. Draining the acetone was still milky, but more like water not as opaque. I think I'll let the tank air out and do this again tomorrow or later. Mike

TomO
09-27-2018 @ 7:18 AM
Senior

Mike,

The tank was initially coated with a tin-lead alloy (tern) to prevent rusting. If you do not coat the tank, it will start rusting as soon as you finish cleaning it, if the original coating has been compromised. The current Ethanol blend of fuel is very corrosive and any air space will add oxygen needed to assist in the corrosion.

The coating that is floating around in your tank failed because of improper procedure in applying it. The coating is like paint. The surface must be clean, the film should not be too thick and the coating should be completely cured before use.

I used Bill Hirsch's coating in both of my cars gas tanks and have had no problem with either of them. Acetone will not dissolve his coating if it is cured. The only chemical that softens it is Methyl-Ethyl-Keytone. I still have a couple of drops on my driveway from 2003 when I did my Mercury tank.

A thin coat is all that you need. My Lincoln tank too about 1/2 pint to seal it. The Mercury tank took a little less. When you coat the tank, rotate it in all directions slowly, letting it sit in each position long enough for the coating to cover the surface, about 2 minutes. Do this several times and then remove the drain plug and let the excess drain out. If you want to, you can repeat the coating process with the product that drained out according to the instructions. I let the product cure about twice as long as the instructions say.

Tom

MG
09-26-2018 @ 3:18 PM
Senior

Mike - When you order the floats you should order a couple of the lead washers to seal the bond between the cast seat of the tank and the filler neck - if this is the arrangement you have. These washers can be purchased from MAC's as well. See > https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_early/gas-tank-washer-lead-ford-passenger.html

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org