LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Pulling rear hub

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Pulling rear hub -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

40guy
04-13-2010 @ 1:17 PM

I have the type hub puller with 3 legs that uses the lug nuts and studs to secure it. It is old as the hills but works EVERY time. Long ago I had a machine shop put a centering nipple on the end of it. This is very important that the tool be centered. I have never hit the axle nor ever used a K.R. Wilson tool.

supereal
04-13-2010 @ 10:48 AM
Senior

Be aware that many of the "knockoffs" now being sold are not hardened, and the interior threads will collapse when they are first struck. This can damage the threaded end of the axle. If you buy one, check it with a file to see if it is, indeed, hardened.

TomO
04-11-2010 @ 8:48 AM
Senior

Steve, if you use the method of having the car weight on the wheel that you are trying to pull, you will be surprised at how easy the wheel will come off.

I carry an axle knocker in my tool kit for emergency use and have removed a wheel using an 16 ounce hammer, by having the weight on the wheel being pulled.

Tom

Steve S
04-11-2010 @ 12:34 AM

The axle end was not damaged thankfully. I was very careful to protect the threads from damage or mushrooming. If I end up opening the diff then I'll have a look at the gears in there for obvious damage. Hopefully I'll be lucky.

I was using one of those knocker tools too, that a neighbor lent me. Just today I think I found a guy locally with a KRW tool that I can borrow, so I'll wait to try again until I get it. I honestly don't think it's rusted, I think maybe I just didn't get enough pulling force on there with the tool I was using. There is fluid coming out of the area around the threads so it should be clean and lubricated in there... I hope!

ford38v8
04-10-2010 @ 4:59 PM
Senior

Steve, the damage you can do to the axle is the very end itself. I've seen axle ends that have mushroomed from sledge hammers, axles with no threads left from hitting on a castle nut, and even some that have been bent cockeyed. All these make the axle useless for future use, but the internal gears in the banjo can also be damaged by hitting the end of the axle.

As everyone has said, the KRW is the best investment in tools you can make.

Alan

supereal
04-10-2010 @ 12:01 PM
Senior

$170 seems like a lot of money, until you price replacement axles. You can reduce the cost by omitting the wooden box, to $155, which includes shipping. I've had mine for a very long time, and paid about $50 for it years ago, as I recall, but it has long since earned that back, and more. There is just no other puller as effective. The phone number for Winfield is (631)928-3316.

37RAGTOPMAN
04-10-2010 @ 10:31 AM
Senior

HI Steve S
its funny, they sell hub knockers that screw on the axles and you hit them from the end, they still sell them, and they never tell you it can damage the rear,
they sold these for 100 years,
I think it has to do with how hard you hit them.
I would also use heat , seems to work the best and fastest, it depends how many TOOLS you have an how much money you want to spend on them,
paying $200.00 for one tool to take something apart maybw one time is good if you have DEEP POCKETS, or do it more often,
TRY the HEATING METHOD,AND PB BLASTER RUST BUSTER
most likley rusted from the INSIDE,
MY3CENTSWORTH 37RAGTOPMAN LET HEAR HOW YOU MADE OUT

Steve S
04-10-2010 @ 10:18 AM

I was really wary of hitting the end of the axle, but three different people told me that's how they got theirs off, and that it's a common thing on these Fords. I should have listened to my gut instinct.

So now that I'm hit the end of the axle numerous time with a big hammer, what type of damage can I check for inside the axle, once I get it opened up?

37RAGTOPMAN
04-10-2010 @ 10:14 AM
Senior

hi STEVE S.
wanted clarify a few things, DO not hit the axle from the end, it will do damage the end and is possible to RUIN the axle end,and parts in the rear itself,spider gears and such,
SOAK with PB BLASTER,overnight,
you can hit from the side on the tapered point of the tapered hub,[ not with a 20 # sledge ] if you have a proffessional air hammer.WOULD BE BETTER, you can also hit from the side, while someone rotates the hub, this usually SHAKES and Breaks them free.were safty glasses.and ear protection,
this should not do any damage to the rear,
but mark up the hub, I had a 39 MERC with frozen hubs and it took quite a while to get free, and was able to take apart the rear end and check out and put back together,
do not hit the brake drum itself.
the puller on e-bay, looks light duty to me,and is welded, were should be one piece.
IF the puller you used did not move it,.I doubt any puller will work, maybe I am wrong, but removed many brake drums, the way I explained, and HAD NO PROBLEMS
I would really like to hear how you removed the brake drums, my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

kubes40
04-10-2010 @ 9:29 AM
Senior

Steve, If I were you I'd step up and buy the KR Wilson puller. A finer puller has not been made. They are reproduced. I recall (perhaps incorrectly) they are about $200. Well worth the investment.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org