LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Rear Axle Torque Values

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Rear Axle Torque Values

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

DuaneF
04-11-2010 @ 8:50 AM

I am in the process of overhauling the rear end on my '35 P/U. When adjusting the lash on the differential bearings what is the appropriate torque for the axle nuts?

supereal
04-11-2010 @ 10:29 AM
Senior

Place the right hand axle in its housing. Place the "spider" with free turning pinions into the case and the left half and axle are then bolted to the banjo without gaskets. Check the backlash of the axle gears by holding one shaft securely. Turn the other axle back and forth and measure the travel at the axle keyway. It should not exceed .010. After the drive pinion is installed, assemble the left hand axle housing with a .008 to.010 gasket. Install the right side using a similar gasket. Tighten all bolts. With a man on each side, turn the axles in the same direction. If the clearance is correct, a "heavy drag" will be felt (no torque value is given). If not, replace the right hand gasket with a .004 to.005. When correct, the backlash at the pinion shaft should be between .003 and .008. Ford was never great about listing torque values, other than for the engine internals. The old style Ford rear axles have survived for decades, in spite of this omission.

DuaneF
04-11-2010 @ 12:01 PM

If I read your reply correctly; The right hand axle housing is initially attached to the banjo "without gaskets?". What holds the Carrier and the right differential bearing against the respective race? When the right hand housing is bolted to the banjo (temporarily?) doesn't the whole axle assembly, with ring/carrier just kind of float? How do you determine the right amount of lash? At the last minute in my overhaul (?),I have decided not to replace the ring and pinion as the installed ratio is just what I wanted (thought I had a 4:33 because of a 24 tooth turtle). The point being the pinion is already installed. The rest of your comments are appreciated. Last question, if you don't mind: I purchased replacement differential bearings, P/N 18-4221, but I just noticed the installed bearings are 68-4221. Aren't these for '37-'48? My P/U is a '35.

supereal
04-12-2010 @ 9:50 AM
Senior

Duane: The axle and the ring gear/spider assembly is placed in the housings/banjo and bolted up without gaskets to measure the slack, if any in the spiders. This is done before the pinion is installed. As you are not removing the pinion assembly, you can omit the step. My book shows the correct housing bearings for your '35 as 18-4221. There usual problem with rebuilding an old rear end is to determine if it is, in fact, the correct axle for the year. Examine the old bearings for numbers to be sure. If you replace the bearings, also replace the races that go with them. All measurements of slack, etc, are measured with a dial indicator at the axle keyway or pinion spline. As long as you have considerable resistance when turning both axles in the same direction, as described, you should be OK. If too loose, or locked up, it will have to be changed. These rear ends are primitive, but tough, so don't get hung up on precision.

DuaneF
04-12-2010 @ 10:25 AM

I agree, all of my documentation says 18-4221 bearings are correct and that is what I ordered. Howsomever, when I opened the new bearings it was obvious that they were different in size from those installed. With a magnifying glass and proper light I was able to see that they are in fact 68-4221 bearings. So I will reorder and press in the 68's when they arrive.

Back to your proceedure: After rereading you earlier comment, is it correct that the initial effort is just to determine the backlash of the spider/axle mating? Once this is determined, and within tolerance attach the two housings, with gaskets (.008 - .010) to determine the preload of the differential bearings (drag)? How do you differentiate between the "drag" at the axle ends and the pinion/ring gear mesh? Or, is that just what you are trying to determine? I assume that with increasing the gasket thickness on one side and reducing the thickness on the other side by the same amount, you are shifting the ring gear/carrier into or out of mesh with the pinion gear. But what is the effect on the differential bearing preload? It would seem that on the thicker gasket side that preload would be less and vice versa with the thiner side. Or, am I guilty of overthinking this?

supereal
04-12-2010 @ 11:57 AM
Senior

Once the preload is acceptable, the gear mesh should be OK as long as you add gaskets of the same thickness to the opposite side as removed from the other. The initial gaskets are to start to determine the preload. Once you have achieved that, the gaskets used, if equal on each side, will preserve that load. You can check the gear tooth pattern if you wish, but the pinion lash, as given, is a better indicator of when the ring/pinion mesh is OK. This whole thing is a bit like patting your head as you rub your belly. As said, the preload, once estabished is preserved by keeping the gasket thickness on each side equal. The pinion lash will be changed as the gasket combinations are tried, and is determined by the movement of the ring gear from side to side. I hope this clarifies the instructions. If it is any consolation, setting up big truck and modern car rear ends is much more complicated. The worst thing about old Ford rears is the necessary unbolting and refastening the axle housings to swap gaskets.

DuaneF
04-12-2010 @ 3:48 PM

Thanks, that is precisely how I had it pictured once I was able to get beyond torquing the axle bolts for bearing preload. Speaking of torque, what is the right torque for the wheel hubs? I have read somewhere it should be about 220 lb. ft. Is this right? My torque rench only goes to 150.

supereal
04-13-2010 @ 10:43 AM
Senior

Again, there seems to be no exact torque given for the axle nuts. When installing the hubs, first be sure that the axle ends are clean, dry, and free of anything that will interfere with the tapered hub, and that the keyway is straight and undamaged. Place the key in the keyway with the tapered end down and toward the inside. Work the hub into place carefully by hand as far as you can. Put a new fiber washer on the axle, the special steel washer, then the nut. We like to mark the end of the axle with a file to show the position of the cotter hole so we can find it after the nut is in place. Turn the nut down, using a "breaker bar". We use a piece of pipe on the wrench handle to increase the force. When you have tightened the nut as far as you can, check the holes in the nut in relation to the file mark you made earlier. If you have to change the position of the nut to insert a cotter, and can't tighten further, back off only enough to get the cotter in place, then spread the legs of the cotter. After driving the car at least 100 miles, retighten the axle nut, again as far as you can. I have stood on the wrench handle, and have yet to have an axle end or threads give way.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org