LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1933 Ford 5 window Deluxe questions

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1933 Ford 5 window Deluxe questions -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

1934 Ford
03-25-2017 @ 5:46 PM
Senior

metlow,
Interesting thread. Welcome and good luck in your search. Please keep us posted as to what you end up with in the the Early V8 Ford World. Most of us think of them a fun and do our best to keep them as good as they can be, not an investment. I've paid for what I like and generally keep them long after the shock of the purchase price is lost to history.
I agree with the advice you've received, but I know your desire will tell you in the end which car to buy. Keep us in the loop.

1934 Ford's since 1972

mtelow
03-23-2017 @ 3:24 PM

All excellent points....Thank You.

supereal
03-23-2017 @ 11:20 AM
Senior

In addition to my friend Tom's advice, be sure that a valid, current title is being offered with any car. Even so, double check with the issuing agency to be sure it is real, and that no liens have been attached. I found that out the hard way many years ago when a title search turned up four liens after the sale, and it took months to run down the holders, any one of whom could have made a claim on the car if they were aware and demanded payment or possession of the vehicle. I was lucky, and will never consider a purchase based on the presumed owner without verification.

trjford8
03-22-2017 @ 7:33 AM
Senior

mtelow, in addition to Steve's good advice check e-Bay. look at the "completed items" section. It will give you an idea of what has been bid on items when the auction ended. Again this can be used as a guide. Also take a look at this website; www.cars-on-line.com. Cars are listed by year and you'll see what is for sale and what has sold. It doesn't give the "sold" price, but you can get a pretty good idea of the market.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-22-17 @ 7:35 AM

len47merc
03-21-2017 @ 5:44 PM
Senior

Remember it's no more than a 'guide'. The best resources are still the 33/34 book plus a colleague & seasoned veteran's 2nd set of eyes and knowledge. You'll be able to hone in on whether it's a 2, 2 1/2, 2 3/4, 3, etc., with these two. Btw - when you get the book check out the fine, simple details in the book against the car, like, for instance, what color the head bolts should be for a car 'list-priced' as non-driven, Concourse grade 950+ point show car.

It still looks like a very, very nice driver and may be worth the/a negotiated price to the right person, perhaps even you, if it meets your vision, needs and especially pocketbook. If an investment, given the market, again IMHO trjford8 is close to, if not on, the mark and if paying much more than that you'll likely struggle down the road to recapture your full original investment.

Best of luck -

Steve

mtelow
03-21-2017 @ 4:44 PM

A Big Thanks to all that have taken the time to reply. I forgot about the collector car price guide. I'll pick one up the next chance I get.

len47merc
03-21-2017 @ 7:48 AM
Senior

mtelow - I'll let others more conversant in the '33s weigh in with their thoughts on the values you quoted. To perhaps help you with another angle - there are price 'guides' for collector & vintage cars that you can resource to help you with your decision. I will quote one here - that being the 2016 Collector Car Price Guide which gives 'ballpark' prices that fall within a reasonable range of each car's value to buyers and sellers. Some people swear by these guides, others loathe them - you'll have to be your own judge but know that a future buyer of your car may likely quote one or more of these in their negotiations.

This guide grades cars in increasing quality from a low of 6 to a high of 1. Each step has a description - I will quote 3, 2 & 1 for you here:

A car rating as a '3' is stated as 'VERY GOOD: Completely operable original or "older restoration" showing wear. Also, a good amateur restoration, all presentable and serviceable inside and out. Plus, combinations of well-done restoration and good operable components or a partially restored vehicle with all parts necessary to complete and/or valuable NOS parts'.

A car rating as a '2' is stated as 'FINE: Well-restored, or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original. Also, an EXTREMELY well-maintained original showing very minimal wear'.

A car rating as a '1' is stated as 'EXCELLENT: Restored to current maximum professional standards of quality in every area, or perfect original with components operating and appearing as new. A 95-plus (or in EFV8 terms 950-plus) point show vehicle that is not driven'.

Now, given these three ratings, you make the decision as to where your car falls given the departures from original others have noted and then know that the Price Guide shows for a 1933 2D 5W Cpe the prices gleaned from sales, auctions and other pricing resources are $26,330 for a '3', $40,950 for a '2' and $58,500 for a '1'. If it can be called a Deluxe Coupe you can bump those figures up about 2% each.

Again, there are other price guides out there that can help you with your purchase. Hope this helps -

EDIT - from looking through additional pricing resources and integrating the observations of others herein, one would likely conclude trjford8's value range estimate from a couple of days back is pretty close to on the mark.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-21-17 @ 8:28 AM

trjford8
03-21-2017 @ 7:21 AM
Senior

In my humble opinion the seller is dreaming at $54,000. He'll be sitting on this one for a real long time. I would continue to look around if you want a more original car. I think you can probably find a better car for $45,000 if you are patient.

mtelow
03-21-2017 @ 6:38 AM

Thank You to everyone who replied. The owner is asking 54K. I'm still trying to decide if I can live with just a driver, or wait and look for a more correct car that I can enter into some local shows. In its present condition, would 45K be a fair offer to buyer and seller?

3w2
03-20-2017 @ 8:23 PM
Senior

With respect, just because the engine has cast iron heads, a later water pump, and later intake manifold,etc., does not mean that the engine needs to be replaced, at least based on the photos provided, which among other things show a '33-'34 oil pan, not a later one. The components, sure, but not necessarily the engine itself.

One other negative is that the color of the rumble seat upholstery is incorrect as it should be copra drab (a dark olive green color).

This message was edited by 3w2 on 3-20-17 @ 8:25 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org