LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1940 Ford Transmission

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 Ford Transmission -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

FLTHDCPE
02-12-2017 @ 10:49 PM

Anybody know of Ford producing ( early production ) 1940 Ford with a floor shift ( 39 type ) transmission.? Found one and the owner says it came that way from the factory.( Been in the family since new ) ?

Thank You.!
Steve

40 Coupe
02-13-2017 @ 6:42 AM
Senior

1940 early passenger car did not have a floor shift. If you were to check the number stamped into the transmission case above the pressure plate inspection cover and compare it to the frame number stamped in the frame near the steering box, the two numbers will not match. The numbers are published and you can use the number to identify the year the transmission or frame was put into service.

kubes40
02-13-2017 @ 6:51 AM
Senior

It may have been in the family since new but the transmission was swapped out during its lifetime.
I have witnessed far too many "original cars" that the owner(s) have insisted "came that way". Misinformed? Wishful thinking? Or, just plain "incorrect"?

FLTHDCPE
02-13-2017 @ 12:27 PM

Appreciate the reply's This is why I posted the question and how we find answers and add to our knowledge about the Ford Automobile. Additional info: I talked to the owner of this 1940 Ford Coupe and he did check the numbers, Vin on the frame verses the Trans/bellhousing and they agree.! He has done extensive research to document this rare combination and was told by a Gentleman that has spent most of his life doing this same thing ( comparing vin numbers to production numbers and various other odd combinations ) I think that we can all agree that Henry did pretty much whatever he wanted and I believe that in itself can account for a lot of these unknown facts.! His search found that Ford did in fact produce 513 of these in late 1939 / early 1940 while they were perfecting the revolutionary new column shift ( three on a tree ) . The car has early production ash trays and no provision in the steering column to dash mount or the steering column to steering wheel cone for a column shift,same as a 39 would be. I have seen and read a lot of these "one of a kind"and usually find it very interesting and helpful expanding my knowledge about the "Ole Ford".!!
Thank You
Steve.

This message was edited by FLTHDCPE on 2-13-17 @ 12:31 PM

kubes40
02-13-2017 @ 2:29 PM
Senior

I truly relish adding knowledge to what I currently understand in regard to '39 & '40 Fords. However, knowledge must be gained through proof and proper documentation.
I would love to see the "proof". Numbers matching is not proof. It is simple to make frames and transmissions match.
If this car has truly been in the same family since new, the documentation should be readily available and complete.
Until I see real proof, I will stay in the "never happened" column on this one.
The owners claim that Ford built 513 of these "late in 39 and early 40" can't stand on that merit alone. By August, 1939, Ford was in regular production of the '40 Ford as we are well acquainted with. This was long after the basic design features were approved and placed in to mass production. Although there were minor production design changes throughout most of that production run, NONE were as sweeping as a floor shift vs. a column shift. No how - no way.
One must, when researching these vehicles, keep clearly in mind that many, many changes often occurred during the past 77 years. Some were done so convincingly that they would (otherwise) appear to be "factory".
Respectfully, Mike "Kube" Kubarth

PS: Perhaps you would be so kind to privately forward me the serial number of this car. I firmly believe this will be an easy one to "put to rest".

This message was edited by kubes40 on 2-13-17 @ 2:30 PM

len47merc
02-13-2017 @ 6:29 PM
Senior

FLTHDCPE - supportively speaking I suspect I can speak for everyone here and ask if you know with whom you are speaking on this thread - ?

Two things - Google the name 'Mike Kubarth' along with 1940 Fords and see what you may come up with. Secondly - go back to the home page of our Forum and select the 'New 1940 Ford Book' section and pursue who the lead author of the book is.

You will do well to take advantage of kubes40 generous offer, particularly if you intend on letting go of the amount of greenbacks an unmolested '40 in Concourse condition (or is able to be placed into Concourse condition economically) should bring. If true originality is not a concern and you are simply paying for a driver then knowing what you truly may have would still be of keen interest to even the most novice of owners.

Before you make your investment - it sounds as if the seller may truly believe in their data and the original configuration of the car. Ask them to show you their source data and then share that with kubes40. If they are that confident then sharing the info with you should be of no concern to them. And take advantage of kubes40 offer regardless of whether you obtain the source data or not. In the end you may still purchase the car, but at least you will do so from a position of confidence and knowledge. Let the (hard) data speak for itself.

Steve

wmsteed
02-13-2017 @ 8:02 PM
Senior

I guess the name of this topic should be- "Always & Never"
I have had first hand experience with a '37 Ford 4dr that my brother owns. He bought the car in the mid '70's from a man that had owned it for many years. For all practice purposes the car is dead stock with a couple exceptions.
Exception number one: the engine is a 24 stud 59AB, however, the heads don't have the 59 AB on them and there is not 59 on the block.
The second non stock item is the brakes: They are '39-41 hydraulics with '37-41 brakes.
I know the man that owned the car for many years, I ran into him at a car show a few years ago, he wanted to known if my brother still had the '37, I replied in the affirmative.
I asked about the engine, was told that the engine in the car was getting very tired, he had a fresh 59 AB engine so he ground the ID casting marks off and put the engine in the car. Not a big deal, it was his wife's car, she drove to work every day so it had to be dependable.
I asked about the hydraulic brakes, was told that they were on the car when he bought it.
My brother tells people that the '37 is dead stock.. The hydraulic brakes were a special order item for the car in '37. The engine issue never comes up because my brother never mentions it..
The car consistently wins trophy's at cars shows because it is always entered in the original class..
When my brother moved to a new state several years ago, when the car was inspected the serial numbers on the frame and title did not match. Of course this caused a ruckus with the DMV. Brother snowed the state inspector with the twenty-five years of CA registration cards he had. The numbers that were stamped into the frame/trans were put onto the new title.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

FLTHDCPE
02-14-2017 @ 12:16 PM

I would like to clear a few things up is this " inquiry". I invite you back to my original post "Anybody know of". It was not my intent to rewrite the "Book" on the '40 Ford.! "Kubes40" has already done that.! I did not single out "kubes40 " or question his knowledge or authority on this subject. I appreciate what you are doing for the '40 Ford owners.
After talking to the owner and listening to his story about his rare '40 Ford I decided to post on here and see what other Ford owners and "Experts" had to say. Well I got their answers and more.! I don't intend to spoil his fun or change his story,it's his to enjoy and drive and that's what he's doing.!
It's my curiosity that started all of this. I own a 1940 Ford Coupe and have been involved in this hobby/sport for 58 yr's. I' am still learning and as I like to say "your never to old to learn,and you'll never know it all" I'll leave that to other people.!
I'm not trying to buy, nor is this car for sale.! He intends to keep it and enjoy driving ,which is the same thing that I intend to do. We are not really to concerned about how "Correct" they are. We are not going to compete for the "Dearborn or Rouge" Award, just enjoy our Ole Fords, which is why we are still doing this.!

Thank You.
Steve

This message was edited by FLTHDCPE on 2-14-17 @ 12:17 PM

len47merc
02-14-2017 @ 5:21 PM
Senior

My apologies if any offense was taken - my intent was sincere and supportive. Yes, your original intent was misinterpreted, by me anyway, but clear now. It is usually the excited buyer that leads with 'facts' with kubes40 vs requesting clarification up front, hence the incorrect assumption.

Steve

kubes40
02-14-2017 @ 5:44 PM
Senior

Steve,
I don't believe you offended anyone. Certainly not me. I truly do enjoy researching these '39 & '40 Fords and like you, realize there were some oddities.
I offered my help in a sincere fashion and please understand, I will always help if and when I am able.
In regard to my research, it (the book) will be certain to upset a few folks. Much of what we were told / learned through previous publications, etc. was not necessarily correct. Some of those inaccuracies I knew years ago while others came as a shock to me.
Anyway, please keep posting questions and comments. You have already shown you can keep things interesting

Kind regards to you...
Mike

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org