LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 46/47 Merc Horn Ring Medallion Vibration

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 46/47 Merc Horn Ring Medallion Vibration -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

len47merc
01-03-2016 @ 8:48 AM
Senior

The horn ring centerpiece medallion on my 47 is just loose enough in the ring to have a very minor but noticeable and annoying (for the driver) vibration sound at specific harmonics/rpms. The 'looseness' is so slight as to be almost imperceptible to the fingers and the medallion is more than adequately secure to not rotate. Before I take a tooth pick and place a drop of Super Glue at ~ 3 points around the perimeter to secure the medallion I appreciate your experience and advice in this regard. Of concern is whether any particular adhesive, including Super Glue, may adversely react with the medallion itself, and perhaps a better, more effective and permanent solution exists. Thanks in advance -

Steve

cliftford
01-03-2016 @ 5:16 PM
Senior

len47merc: Here's what I would do: disconnect horn wire, remove horn ring[ press down and turn counter clock wise]then remove the medialian and put some silicone sealer under it, let dry and re install, that should do it. That shouldn't do any damage.

len47merc
01-03-2016 @ 7:42 PM
Senior

Thanks cliftford - I like your solution much better and will take your advice later this week. Btw - is the reason for disconnecting the horn wire to simply isolate the horn electrically from the battery, or is there a another more sinister 'gotcha' I've yet to experience? Easier on my creaking old back ya know to simply disconnect the battery.

Steve

cliftford
01-03-2016 @ 8:23 PM
Senior

len47 merc my suggestion of disconnecting the horn was just so you don't bother the neighbors or scare the cats off. You might advertise for a handle on the efv8 classifieds. Good luck and happy new year.

len47merc
01-04-2016 @ 5:06 AM
Senior

10-4 - thought that was case. I posted an ad for the handle in classifieds yesterday afternoon. As you say, looks like they are available - just have to ensure the correct version/design as two variants were apparently used during these years.

My Thanks again cliftford and All the Best for a Prosperous, Safe and Happy 2016 to you as well!

Steve

len47merc
01-04-2016 @ 7:25 AM
Senior

cliftford/all - this horn ring is so stiff that when pressing down and attempting to rotate counter-clockwise I'm concerned it will break. Am using my thumbs near the center on the horizontal arms of the horn to minimize the potential for breakage but this thing is holding firm, at least with the amount of rotational pressure I've applied so far. Should it be easy to rotate counter-clockwise or is it tough enough to withstand the apparent degree of umphhh required to turn it? Have never removed one of these before. Thanks -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-4-16 @ 7:26 AM

cliftford
01-04-2016 @ 11:06 AM
Senior

Steve: here is how I do it: I press down hard on the center of the ring with the palm of one hand. Then with the other hand I grasp the outer rim and work it back and forth until I can turn it c. clockwise about 1/8 of a turn and the spring will push it out. The trick is to press the ring all the way down.

len47merc
01-05-2016 @ 5:34 AM
Senior

cliftford & Tom - had my 25 year old son (6' 2", 190 lbs) hold the steering wheel with his left hand and press firmly down on the center of the horn ring medallion with his right (with so much pressure he was slightly trembling). I held the horn ring at 3:30 and 9:30 with each hand (just south and north, right and left respectively, of the steering wheel and horn ring spokes) and with all the force I thought the ring could stand without breaking tried to rotate it counter clockwise, nudging it back and forth as well as you suggested cliftford. Man this thing is not budging. Perhaps the horn ring is tougher than I think but I'm giving it significant pressure - believe I'd throw up if it broke though. Any other suggestions? Heat? PB Blaster, WD40 or some other spray lubricant under the ring (nothing that will react with other materials - assume neither of these would), other? Btw, the horn ring will rotate ever-so-slightly but less than ~1/16th or so revolution counter clockwise - not enough for 1 spoke of the horn ring on each side to clear the steering wheel spoke.

Assuming also as Tom referenced in the door handle discussion that the rubber piece is now so brittle from age that it is not compressing - ? It sounds and feels though when pressing the horn ring down that it is bottoming-out against some very hard and firm surface (at this point perceived to be the bottom of the well molded into the steering wheel for the center of the horn ring).

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-5-16 @ 5:42 AM

TomO
01-05-2016 @ 8:07 AM
Senior

Steve, you should feel the button and ring move down about 3/16" and then should be able to rotate it.

If you can't get that much movement, you can try dribbling glycerin around the opening to soften the rubber. Let it soak for 3-4 weeks, adding a little every couple of days. This process is messy and doesn't always work.

Heat from a hair dryer might also work, but I would be afraid of damaging the plastic.

Other suggestions are silicone spray, MMO and vinegar. These all require sealing the area for 7-14 days.

Tom

len47merc
01-05-2016 @ 8:55 AM
Senior

Thanks Tom. I get the ~3/16" of movement downward when pressing on the center of the ring - just not able to rotate it.

I've some silicone spray as well as glycerin and will given your suggestion a try today after covering the upholstery & dash. MMO - interesting. Vinegar - new one on me there - combination of that with the moth balls should really set the wife over the top!

I too am worried about the effect of heat and/or potential chemical reactions on/with the medallion which is why I'm asking for experienced advice here. I broke one original item early on in the preservation process due to impatience and then unwillingness to ask questions - bad lesson to learn that way you know.

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org