LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 46/47 Merc Driver Door Handle Removal

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 46/47 Merc Driver Door Handle Removal -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
01-08-2016 @ 9:10 AM
Senior

Steve,

My Body Parts Catalog does not cover the 48 models, but I believe that the side trim was the same width as the 42-early 47 models. The Canadian Mercury used a different belt molding that was a little wider than the USA Mercury, but I do not know if the handle was the same as the USA model, maybe Rusty knows.

Tom

len47merc
01-08-2016 @ 8:48 AM
Senior

Hey - the bottom surface rust of the original escutcheon cleaned up pretty easily with a rotary brass brush (compare to last pic) with ~5 mins or so of effort. Reassembly later today when my second set of hands is available.

Interesting the paint on the door under the surface rusted handle escutcheon was unscathed.

Steve

len47merc
01-08-2016 @ 7:49 AM
Senior

For anyone that may be interested attached is a photo of the two escutcheons and the difference between the two. Disassembling the assembly was not as difficult as I'd thought it would be originally but it does require 4 hands to do it correctly and not damage the shaft or washers.

The top escutcheon with the surface rust underneath is the original, the other the 'new' used one from ebay. The handles, washers and springs are identical - only the escutcheons varied as shown in the photo.

FYI for anyone else going down this road in the future. Have not done the complete research to find out what the exact application is for what I purchased (the ad was consistent with my car and the handle and other components measure identical to my car), but I have confirmed that though the handle and other components are an exact match that the escutcheon, and ultimately the entire assembly, is not for '46-early '47 Mercurys 4-Doors Town Sedans, 69M-73 & 79M-73, respectively. Easy thing to miss, at least for me anyway.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-8-16 @ 7:54 AM

len47merc
01-07-2016 @ 2:59 PM
Senior

Well, you learn something every day. Purchased a very high quality used matching 'Mercury' door handle for a reasonable price off of ebay, just arrived - trim under the handle would not fit into the driver's door trim. 'New' handle's 'tongue' that slides into the end of the trim is 1 5/16" wide/tall. The original handle's trim is 1 1/8" wide/tall. Wow - knock me over. Everything is absolutely identical but the width of the trim piece. Apparently I have a Ford handle 'assembly' versus Mercury? Shouldn't have trusted the ebay ad and asked more questions including having the trim piece measured (I actually had the handle itself measured but assumed the trim would be identical).

I looked up the two part numbers Tom referenced and perceived there to be a clear visual difference between the two. Need to open my eyes more.

Looks like I'll be disassembling two handle assemblies and combining parts - should be interesting flattening out the peens and creating new ones.

Steve

len47merc
01-04-2016 @ 8:38 AM
Senior

Thanks Tom. I assume at this point one must press with heavy force the center of the horn ring with the palm of your hand only to get it to rotate - ?

Steve

TomO
01-04-2016 @ 8:11 AM
Senior

Steve,

The Ford and Mercury outside door handles are different. The Ford uses the 11A prefix handle and the Mercury uses the 29A prefix handle. A 4 handles are the same on a Fordoor.

On your horn ring, do not use the ring to try to turn it counter clockwise in order to remove it. You may break the ring. The horn ring has a rubber piece that must be compressed in order to remove the horn ring. This has become hard over the years and you will have to press very hard to compress this in order to remove the horn ring.

Bob Drake has a reproduction of the cushion.

http://www.bobdrake.com/Categories2.aspx?Id=4248steeringwheel

Tom

len47merc
01-03-2016 @ 7:48 PM
Senior

Thanks cliftford for all your help here and with the horn ring medallion. Will do on finding a new matching handle assembly - unfortunately this one is too far gone for my repair capabilities.

Steve

cliftford
01-03-2016 @ 4:59 PM
Senior

len47merc: I would look for a good used handle assembly. You should be able to find one on ebay, ford barn, or a swap meet. I believe ford and merc handles would be the same. as far as I know they are not being reproduced.

len47merc
01-03-2016 @ 4:42 PM
Senior

Here's the photo of the removed handle 'assembly' referenced above (forgot to attach it before posting). 2 of the 4 peened spots can be seen on the corners of the shaft next to the securing cup washer. You also can see from the tip of the handle how the inner stainless strip of metal is separating from the outer skin.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-3-16 @ 4:54 PM

len47merc
01-03-2016 @ 4:31 PM
Senior

Got it cliftford - thanks! Delicately loosened/snapped out the entire driver's door stainless trim with a small plastic pry bar and a clean protecting rag and the handle and trim came right out, thankfully with no damage to the trim or paint. Slid out the smaller trim piece and handle from the rest of the trim and have it in hand.

Now the next questions are: Should I expect to purchase/replace this entire assembly, handle, small stainless trim under the handle, shaft, bracket, washers, etc., or should I plan on grinding off the peened corners of the shaft that secures the entire assembly together, pull out the handle/shaft from the balance and then simply purchase/replace them? If the latter, can the handle and shaft be separated from each other after removal from the 'assembly' in the attached photo or are they a unit? Not looking forward to re-peening the corners of the shaft to secure it all back together if that is the process.

Looks like sometime 40+ years ago someone bent the handle toward the back of the car, decreasing the radius of curvature of this handle versus the other three doors, and then tried to use a pair of channel locks or plies to bend it back. It functions fine and unless it is brought to the casual observer's attention it is usually unseen. It's in my eye though and given the inner part of the handle is now separating a bit more from the outer skin I feel it every time I open the door. Thankfully and fortunately the others survived unscathed.

Thanks for any further support you or others can provide on the balance of these additional questions.

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org