Topic: 46/47 Merc Driver Door Handle Removal

len47merc    -- 01-03-2016 @ 8:22 AM
  Any advice/tips on the best removal and installation processes for the driver's door handle on my '47 much appreciated (see attachment). Handle has been like this since my receipt of the car but cosmetically not enough of a concern to address until cabin fever started to set in over the holidays. Starting my research into the removal process today and thought I'd ask you all for your advice and experience with the same. Thanks in advance -

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-03-2016 @ 8:24 AM
  Picture rotated.

Steve

cliftford    -- 01-03-2016 @ 9:15 AM
  Open the door and look for a slot screw that screws into the back side of the handle base. Remove it and the handle should come out with a little effort. Remove the chrome strip first.

This message was edited by cliftford on 1-3-16 @ 9:17 AM

len47merc    -- 01-03-2016 @ 9:35 AM
  Thanks cliftford - I see the rounded head, flat-slotted screw in the edge of the door just inside the outer door sheet metal that appears to be angled toward the outside handle. When removing this screw does any precaution need to be taken to ensure no parts fall down inside the door or is this not a concern? And when you say remove the chrome strip first do you mean after removing the screw and before pulling out the handle the stainless trim piece under the handle should be snapped free?

Steve

cliftford    -- 01-03-2016 @ 2:43 PM
  I would at least loosen the screw and then snap the chrome strip free,since it slides on to the handle base, then you can work the handle out. You may have to use some WD40 to get it out. there are no parts that would fall inside that I know of.

len47merc    -- 01-03-2016 @ 4:31 PM
  Got it cliftford - thanks! Delicately loosened/snapped out the entire driver's door stainless trim with a small plastic pry bar and a clean protecting rag and the handle and trim came right out, thankfully with no damage to the trim or paint. Slid out the smaller trim piece and handle from the rest of the trim and have it in hand.

Now the next questions are: Should I expect to purchase/replace this entire assembly, handle, small stainless trim under the handle, shaft, bracket, washers, etc., or should I plan on grinding off the peened corners of the shaft that secures the entire assembly together, pull out the handle/shaft from the balance and then simply purchase/replace them? If the latter, can the handle and shaft be separated from each other after removal from the 'assembly' in the attached photo or are they a unit? Not looking forward to re-peening the corners of the shaft to secure it all back together if that is the process.

Looks like sometime 40+ years ago someone bent the handle toward the back of the car, decreasing the radius of curvature of this handle versus the other three doors, and then tried to use a pair of channel locks or plies to bend it back. It functions fine and unless it is brought to the casual observer's attention it is usually unseen. It's in my eye though and given the inner part of the handle is now separating a bit more from the outer skin I feel it every time I open the door. Thankfully and fortunately the others survived unscathed.

Thanks for any further support you or others can provide on the balance of these additional questions.

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-03-2016 @ 4:42 PM
  Here's the photo of the removed handle 'assembly' referenced above (forgot to attach it before posting). 2 of the 4 peened spots can be seen on the corners of the shaft next to the securing cup washer. You also can see from the tip of the handle how the inner stainless strip of metal is separating from the outer skin.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-3-16 @ 4:54 PM

cliftford    -- 01-03-2016 @ 4:59 PM
  len47merc: I would look for a good used handle assembly. You should be able to find one on ebay, ford barn, or a swap meet. I believe ford and merc handles would be the same. as far as I know they are not being reproduced.

len47merc    -- 01-03-2016 @ 7:48 PM
  Thanks cliftford for all your help here and with the horn ring medallion. Will do on finding a new matching handle assembly - unfortunately this one is too far gone for my repair capabilities.

Steve

TomO    -- 01-04-2016 @ 8:11 AM
  Steve,

The Ford and Mercury outside door handles are different. The Ford uses the 11A prefix handle and the Mercury uses the 29A prefix handle. A 4 handles are the same on a Fordoor.

On your horn ring, do not use the ring to try to turn it counter clockwise in order to remove it. You may break the ring. The horn ring has a rubber piece that must be compressed in order to remove the horn ring. This has become hard over the years and you will have to press very hard to compress this in order to remove the horn ring.

Bob Drake has a reproduction of the cushion.

http://www.bobdrake.com/Categories2.aspx?Id=4248steeringwheel

Tom

len47merc    -- 01-04-2016 @ 8:38 AM
  Thanks Tom. I assume at this point one must press with heavy force the center of the horn ring with the palm of your hand only to get it to rotate - ?

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-07-2016 @ 2:59 PM
  Well, you learn something every day. Purchased a very high quality used matching 'Mercury' door handle for a reasonable price off of ebay, just arrived - trim under the handle would not fit into the driver's door trim. 'New' handle's 'tongue' that slides into the end of the trim is 1 5/16" wide/tall. The original handle's trim is 1 1/8" wide/tall. Wow - knock me over. Everything is absolutely identical but the width of the trim piece. Apparently I have a Ford handle 'assembly' versus Mercury? Shouldn't have trusted the ebay ad and asked more questions including having the trim piece measured (I actually had the handle itself measured but assumed the trim would be identical).

I looked up the two part numbers Tom referenced and perceived there to be a clear visual difference between the two. Need to open my eyes more.

Looks like I'll be disassembling two handle assemblies and combining parts - should be interesting flattening out the peens and creating new ones.

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-08-2016 @ 7:49 AM
  For anyone that may be interested attached is a photo of the two escutcheons and the difference between the two. Disassembling the assembly was not as difficult as I'd thought it would be originally but it does require 4 hands to do it correctly and not damage the shaft or washers.

The top escutcheon with the surface rust underneath is the original, the other the 'new' used one from ebay. The handles, washers and springs are identical - only the escutcheons varied as shown in the photo.

FYI for anyone else going down this road in the future. Have not done the complete research to find out what the exact application is for what I purchased (the ad was consistent with my car and the handle and other components measure identical to my car), but I have confirmed that though the handle and other components are an exact match that the escutcheon, and ultimately the entire assembly, is not for '46-early '47 Mercurys 4-Doors Town Sedans, 69M-73 & 79M-73, respectively. Easy thing to miss, at least for me anyway.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-8-16 @ 7:54 AM

len47merc    -- 01-08-2016 @ 8:48 AM
  Hey - the bottom surface rust of the original escutcheon cleaned up pretty easily with a rotary brass brush (compare to last pic) with ~5 mins or so of effort. Reassembly later today when my second set of hands is available.

Interesting the paint on the door under the surface rusted handle escutcheon was unscathed.

Steve

TomO    -- 01-08-2016 @ 9:10 AM
  Steve,

My Body Parts Catalog does not cover the 48 models, but I believe that the side trim was the same width as the 42-early 47 models. The Canadian Mercury used a different belt molding that was a little wider than the USA Mercury, but I do not know if the handle was the same as the USA model, maybe Rusty knows.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9265