LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Original Engine Identification

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Original Engine Identification -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Tracker
08-19-2011 @ 10:47 AM

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to determine if a 1951 Mercury has its original engine ? Are there numbers on the block that correspond to the vin or body plate ?

Thanks.

Tracker

Stroker
08-19-2011 @ 12:14 PM
Senior

Tracker:

The short answer is no. Early Fords (and most cars of that vintage) do not have a VIN number. Your body plate may tell you where your car was built, color and trim codes, and a driveline number may tell you the serial number of the engine/transmission assembly, but there is no correlation between the two.

The modern VIN number came about as an attempt to cut down on auto theft-related "chop shops", and therefore appears on many components (some secret), to assist
in criminal investigations.

supereal
08-19-2011 @ 3:31 PM
Senior

I agree with Dan. In short, as long as the engine has the four inch crank, why care? "matching numbers" is a hoax to charge more bucks.

Tracker
08-19-2011 @ 4:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. The question came up when I was working on replacing the water pumps. These are wide belt and I was under the impression the 51 was equipped with narrow belts. What ever it is, I'm happy with it... it delivers surprizing stock performance in such a heavy car but even with OD, it is a beast on gas consumption

Thanks again.

Tracker
Tracker

ford38v8
08-19-2011 @ 5:32 PM
Senior

Tracker, you are in possession of the most prized of all Ford products as far as long distance travel is concerned. The '51 Merc is literally a driving machine. Suspension, power ratio to weight, aerodynamics, comfort, it just all comes together in the '51 Merc. Enjoy your ride and consider your destination as secondary to the fun of the trip.

Alan

TomO
08-20-2011 @ 7:32 AM
Senior

Tracker, the 51 Merc should give decent mileage on the road (18-20 mpg) and less around town (12-15 mpg).

If you are not getting near these numbers:

Check the carburetor for leaks, especially around the fitting for the gas line.

Check front end alignment, toe in out of specs can eat gas.

Check brake adjustment.

Check tie pressure.

Check your spark plugs for correct gap.

Check for vacuum leaks.

Check compression

Check timing with the vacuum advance vacuum line disconnected and plugged.

Check your left shoe and foot for lead.

These are the most common causes of poor mileage. A worn out engine or a slipping clutch can also affect mileage.

Tom

Stroker
08-20-2011 @ 4:58 PM
Senior

TomO:

Great advice! I'm a little perplexed however regarding the admonition regarding the left foot/shoe
lead inspection requirement. Wouldn't this be more of a problem regarding frequent throw-out bearing replacements, and/or clutch plate wear? I was taught to "never ride the clutch". I can see that substantial lead addition would have made that habit much harder to kick.

Dan

This message was edited by Stroker on 8-20-11 @ 4:59 PM

ford38v8
08-20-2011 @ 5:49 PM
Senior

Picky, picky!

Alan

Tracker
08-20-2011 @ 7:02 PM

Thanks for the check list. I have gone over all these things with others who know a lot more about engines than I do but every thing comes up normal each time.

If this car gets more than 11 mpg on the hi way with a three speed ovcerdive I would be astounded. I have had several tell me its because of the rear end being geared so low ...4.0 ? as I recall. However, its factory stock and has never even been opened.

I love the car but for the obvious reason, I don't drive it much on trips. It has recently developed a slight clutch chatter and I plan to change out the clutch assy if I can ever find one.

Tracker

TomO
08-21-2011 @ 9:41 AM
Senior

Dan, I admit that I added some lead to the left shoe to balance the lead in the right shoe. Because of this, I sometimes get my left and right shoes mixed up.

I tried to remedy that problem by driving barefoot, but found out that this is not legal, so I bought a new pair of driving shoes. Now I just have to remember to put them on.

A few years ago, there was a 51 Mercury with OD driving with me on one of the Motorfest tours. On the way back to Auburn, we stopped to fill up, he took 2 gallons of gas less than I did.

I typically get around 15-18 mpg when I drive 55 or slower. Above that speed, my gas gauge looks like the tank has a hole in it.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-21-11 @ 9:58 AM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org