LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / 1940 commerical colors

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 commerical colors -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

donnicoli
08-31-2013 @ 3:41 PM

were there specific commerical colrs in 1940? in addition to the 1940 passenger car colors? Anyone know where to find examples? Thanks, Don (925) 639-7146
donnicoli@comcast.net

kubes40
08-31-2013 @ 8:33 PM
Senior

Trucks and commercial cars were available in Vermilion Red w / Tacoma Cream stripe, Black w / Tacoma Cream stripe, Cloud Mist Gray w / Vermillion stripe, Lyon Blue w / Tacoma Cream stripe, Manderin maroon w / Vermillion stripe, Folkstone Gray w / Vermillion stripe and Yosemite Green w / Tacoma Cream stripe. Wheels were black unless special color to match body was ordered at $5 extra.
There are some exceptions to the above. Fleet buyers could get pretty much whatever colors they wanted (maximum three colors per truck) for an additional charge. Fleet buyers had to purchase a minimum of five vehicles for immediate delivery.
Another exception were "commercial concerns" that for an additional $14.50 could get their vehicles painted with up to three special colors. I am not 100% certain what qualified one as a "commercial concern".
There were also options wherein the chassis could be special painted in one solid color (no stripes) for $10. That included the frame, both axles, springs and spring brackets. For another $5, in addition to the aforementioned, the fenders, running boards and wheels would also be painted.
Hope this helps...
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8
08-31-2013 @ 9:33 PM
Senior

Don, Mike is the expert on the subject, but I will offer this and hope mike will confirm: With regards to Mike's statement that "Fleet buyers could get pretty much whatever they wanted", I will condition that to whatever paint was in the factory. Ford would not allow a paint from outside the factory, knowing that if allowed, eventually a request would be made for a competitors color. In other words, the plant may have Mercury colors that ordinarily would not be available on a Ford, let alone a Commercial Ford, but coiuld be specified by a fleet buyer, for a price. The same policy woiuld of course apply to a fleet of passenger cars as well as Commercial vehicles.

Alan

kubes40
09-01-2013 @ 6:33 AM
Senior

Hey Alan,
I believe you'd made a valid point in regard to fleet buyers choosing colors within the Ford family. Still, as I am perhaps a tad obsessive, I had to check in to this more thoroughly.
My "gut" told me that if a company, say for an example, Kodak, came to Ford and wanted 250 delivery vehicles painted THEIR shade of yellow, that Ford would not (insist)they stay within Fords color choices.
I did come upon a letter that indicates (quote):
"No extra charge is made to fleet owners for painting the bodies of their units in their combination of not more than three colors, except those designated as "pearl-like finishes." Any commercial concern shall be considered as a fleet owner if it places an order for five or more units for prompt delivery, or if qualified for listing in accordance with Form 2425 "National Uses of Ford Products". (unquote)
The specific use of "their combination of colors" leads me to believe the fleet owner could choose any color(s) with the exception of pearl like finishes.
The mention of pearl-like finishes in this letter leads me to believe Ford may paint such finishes but an extra fee would be accessed.
The letter does go on to allow the painting for additional colors on the body, special lettering, art work and decalcomania application. All for an additional cost to be determined by the Ford Branch.

I could not find any mention of cars being painted fleet colors but would tend to agree that if a fleet purchase was done, Ford would paint them per request. I'd really enjoy seeing any documentation to this regard.
So, what say yee?

This message was edited by kubes40 on 9-1-13 @ 8:02 AM

ford38v8
09-01-2013 @ 10:27 AM
Senior

Mike, This may be an example of what happened to me once a long time ago... At that time I thought I was wrong, but as it turned out if memory serves, I was mistaken.

Alan

kubes40
09-01-2013 @ 1:43 PM
Senior

Alan, I am certainly not saying you are wrong on this. I quoted from the Ford book I have so we at the minimum have the same information available. The wording is perhaps just a tad ambiguous and leaves a little wiggle room for us (the lawyers) to decipher.
I am open to others opinions on how this is to be properly read...

ford38v8
09-01-2013 @ 3:50 PM
Senior

Mike, from your quote of the letter, and paraphrasing a famous quote from the past, "It depends on what the definition of 'their' is". (..their combination of colors). Remember also that Mercury did at the time have a 'pearl-like finish', so as you suggested, lawyer-talk may have a field day.

A related question, did you turn up the Form 2425 referred to in the letter?

Alan

donnicoli
09-01-2013 @ 4:05 PM

Thanks Guys, Anyone know about seats for a '40 Sedan Delivery? Were they called Jump Seats?

Stroker
09-01-2013 @ 4:28 PM
Senior

I was lucky enough to have "grown-up" with our 40 Ford ton-and-a-half that we used to haul oranges and lemons to our local packing house. This was a wonderful truck that was officially clocked by the CHP at 70 on route 66 with my brother driving. Dad bought it new, and it was painted Folkstone Gray with a Vermilion stripe and Vermilion highlights on the raised, embossed
V8 stampings on the hood sides. I drove it to high school whenever my sister wouldn't relinquish her rights to our 38 woodie, and of course I made many trips hauling citrus fruit and empty boxes back to the ranch. My only issue is that as I recall, it had Vermilion wheels. My brother sold this "cherry" SoCal example to the long-time publisher of Hot Rod Magazine; Pete Peterson. As I recall, the running boards were black, as was the frame. The wheels, however were Vermilion. Kube: Any thoughts on this?

kubes40
09-01-2013 @ 6:07 PM
Senior

Stroker, Thanks for sharing the cool memories. The color combination you recall was a stock color. The wheels being painted Vermillion was simply an extra cost option, $1 per wheel.
The black frame was the typical "stock" frame.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org