LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Moths

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Moths -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

len47merc
05-13-2015 @ 7:21 PM
Senior

Hey guys - searched for 'moth' over the last 365 days and only got 1 very general hit, so need to ask for the best moth protection for our original interiors. Here in central NC we are having a weird hatch this spring of small light beige moths - they are everywhere in this neighborhood and darn near impossible to keep out of the house and especially the garage. Have the Merc's windows buttoned up tight but these are tricky little buggers - found for the first time this year (yes - have been anally checking nightly since the hatch started a couple of weeks ago) 4 in the interior tonight and panicked. Set up a flashlight vigil to ensure I got them all - hopefully no eggs have been laid. For an owner of a 68 year old original interior with no dry rot, no sun fade, no tears and no moth damage in any upholstery or headliner, and heading for my first Rouge Class judging next month, am quite frankly beyond concerned.

What's the best way to protect the interior from these pests and their eggs? Tried and true moth balls? Will moth balls permanently override the scent of an original interior's wool and mohair that reminds us of our grandparent's living rooms? Or will it dissipate with airing out and allow this natural intoxicating scent to return? Is there a better solution?

Need to take action quickly - thanks in advance -

Steve

ford38v8
05-13-2015 @ 8:31 PM
Senior

Steve, You need to enlist the aid of the natural enemy of all breeds of moth. Just before dusk, set up a small blind at the far corner of a hay field. Hold open a good size gunny sack in front of you, with your flashlight behind shining through. Gently wave the top edge of the sack as if it were waving in the breeze. The best time of day is the twilight hour, as your quarry will be most active at that hour catching moths, mosquitos, and other flying insects. If you are good, you should be able to catch 3 or maybe 4 adult snipes before the full dark of night. Carry these little critters back to your garage and turn them loose inside your car. There are no species of moth that cannot be decimated by a pair of hungry snipes in a confined space.

Alan

Drbrown
05-13-2015 @ 9:16 PM
Senior

Ahhhhhh .... the old "snipes". When I was a kid in the 1940's: In the summer time, after dark in our neighborhood, when the parents wanted to get rid of us kids they would send us all on a "Snipe" hunt in the woods with our flashlights. Never saw or caught any, but I sure thought a lot about stealing a kiss in the dark from the girl next door.

carcrazy
05-13-2015 @ 9:29 PM
Senior

You can use cedar chips in cloth bags or I have used small cedar wood blocks to keep the moths out of our '40 Ford. The fragrance of cedar is not nearly as offensive to humans as is the fragrance of moth balls.

len47merc
05-14-2015 @ 6:20 AM
Senior

Here in NC snipe season officially opened on May 1. Unfortunately I've already filled all my tags and poaching is not an option for me so I'll have to wait until next season.

Think I'll just line the garage with cedar and call it a day...

Steve

TomO
05-14-2015 @ 6:36 AM
Senior

My Lincoln came out of NC with a good supply of moth balls scattered around the interior. The odor disappeared after driving the car a couple of days. The Lincoln's seats are nylon and leather and only the carpet is wool, so the smells are different. I still get the new leather smell. There is no damage to the wool carpet, so the moth ball must have worked.

Woolite will bring back some of the original odor of of the wool upholstery. I use it on my 40 Mercury as the seats and rug are wool. We don't have a serious moth problem where I live.

I use a New Car Scent deodorizer that I bought at a car show. I am not sure of the brand, but it works pretty good for me. One short spray on the carpet in the Spring and I am good for the Summer. I used to use the Ozium brand and it worked also. I suggest that you go to Pep Boys and find one that appeals to your nose.

Tom

len47merc
05-14-2015 @ 6:50 AM
Senior

Thanks Tom - I'll give that a go.

Steve

Stroker
05-14-2015 @ 9:00 AM
Senior

38fordV8: Alan, grunions work well too, but your car will end up smelling like fish. Been snipe hunting as a kid in SoCal, so I can understand your problem.

42oink
05-14-2015 @ 1:47 PM

AARGH!! Moths. The bane of old car lovers. As they occasionally munched my Lebaron Bonney wool interior, here's what I did. Walmart sells large bags of cedar chip dog bed filler. Fill a couple pair of pantyhose with chips (take your wife out of them first!) and put in the front and back of your car. I change it out at least each year and have had good luck. Hope this helps.

c-gor
05-14-2015 @ 3:20 PM

Moth Balls. Have used them for over 20 years. In addition the keeping your interior moth free they also keep out mice

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org