LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 3:54 "Hiway" gearing for early Ford V8

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 3:54 "Hiway" gearing for early Ford V8 -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

svmsr1044
07-03-2014 @ 1:56 PM

My 40 dlx sdn has the optional 4:11 rear diff gears. A little too low for my taste. Anyone have the optional 3:54 gears? Any experience or thoughts with the high gearing? Thanks, Steve

kubes40
07-03-2014 @ 4:00 PM
Senior

Steve, In my opinion of you have a stock engine, you'll be a tad disappointed in the 3:54 ratio.
I prefer the 3:78 in all of my cars. Good "off the line" and more than adaquet taking a guy down the highway.

ken ct.
07-03-2014 @ 4:07 PM
Senior

If you drive a lot in hilly country you wont like the 3.54. Tough on clutches starting off on them. 3.78 is a better gear. 3.54's are good in flat country like Fl. ken ct omo.

TomO
07-04-2014 @ 6:55 AM
Senior

IMHO the 3.54 works fine in the flat country of the Midwest. The stock 40 engine should give you adequate acceleration in most situations. Starting off uphill with any stick shift can be a problem.

The 3.78 seems to require too many rpms at 55 mph for my taste. It seems more comfortable at 45-50 mph.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-4-14 @ 6:56 AM

ford38v8
07-04-2014 @ 9:43 AM
Senior

I took out 4.44 gears, replacing them with 3/78 gears. My 59L engine is happy at 72 mph. It goes over the Sierras in 3rd gear and start in the middle of a San Francisco hill without difficulty.

Alan

TomO
07-06-2014 @ 10:04 AM
Senior

OK Steve, you now have 3 for the 3.78 and 1 for the 3.54. If you belong to a Regional Group, see if you can ride in a car with either gear set, and then you can make up your own mind.

I had to use 1st gear to get up this hill. So did most of the other people on the Tour.

Tom

deluxe40
07-06-2014 @ 11:11 AM

I put a 3.25 in my '41 Sedan Delivery. Just right for cruising the Central Coast of CA. However, full disclosure requires that I tell you that my brand new, foreign-made, 9" clutch began slipping at about 10K miles. The disk wasn't used up and I believe the slipping was due to inferior design of the pressure plate, rather than the tall gearing. It now has a NOS Ford pressure plate with a new disk.

wmsteed
07-07-2014 @ 8:43 AM
Senior

A quick way to solve the "gearing problem" on an EFV8 is to remove the fan from the engine. The fan blade design that Ford used was famous for being noisy, that's why they use to be called "screaming eights".
Modern cars with their clutch equipped fans sound like they have slipped into a lower gear, when the engine gets hot enough to engage the fan clutch.
Of course city and driving in hilly terrain requires a fan, open highways do not..
I ran my '36 without a fan for years, then I moved to Vegas, had to rig up a fan.. My wide spread carbs required some Yankee Ingenuity. Cutting down a '39 generator to use it for a fan mount, solved the problem.It has been on the car every since.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

juergen
07-07-2014 @ 12:05 PM

If you are worried about "off the line", another choice is to use the 3.54 with a "wide ratio" Ford trans. It is 10% wider in first and second so the setup acts like a standard ratio trans with a 3.78 in first and second. By wide ratio I mean an early Ford trans with a 29 tooth cluster instead of the standard 28 tooth cluster. These were common in 40s Ford 3 speed pickups.

This message was edited by juergen on 7-7-14 @ 12:06 PM

Model B
07-08-2014 @ 5:56 AM

I replaced the 4:11 in my '40 Conv. with a 3:54 gear. Works great. I live in Ohio...the terrain is mostley flat with some hills. I also have a '32 Standard Coupe with a 3:54. Great for highway speeds. Pat

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org